Heritage Owners Club

H120 pickup question.

davesultra

OK guys & gals,

I recently acquired an '87 H120. I gave a low ball offer (kinda), and the guy took it. I don't have any pics yet, but hope to get around to it soon. It's in really nice shape given it's age, but it does have a ton of checking. However, dings & chips are at a minimum. It had an aftermarket pickup, but he had the original pickup in the case (which is why I was interested). It ohmed at 6.27k which from the research I've done is right around where these range. I wired it in but I find the output to be a bit low, which seems odd as "H" advertised this as a high output pickup. I double checked the solder joints and they're fine. I may swap out the pot and see if that helps. Before I do, I'm curious to see if anyone has experience with this model/PUP and may tell me your experience with it's sound. It's a pretty smooth player and a cool piece of early "H" craftsmanship. It's also my 1st model with a "Stinger".

High output is a relative term. To some people 6k is high output. To others 10k is. I think the old H120s had regular Schaller Golden 50s as stock pickups. Typically they are in the 7-9k range.

Also, keep in mind that impedance is not a true measurement of the output of a pickup. Bill Lawrence uses Henries because it is more accurate.

No, I believe it's one of those odd-ball pickups left over from the "G" days. It's slightly larger than a regular HB, and has the extra screw mount on the top middle of the PUP. It's also encased in epoxy, with a date stamp on back. Pickup looks like the old L6 pickup.

Bill Lawrence and EMG are the only makers that I know of that encase their pickups in epoxy. The L6S was a Bill Lawrence design. It sounds like it's very possible that these were leftovers.

Bill Lawrence and EMG are the only makers that I know of that encase their pickups in epoxy. The L6S was a Bill Lawrence design. It sounds like it's very possible that these were leftovers.

Ding, ding, ding... You are correct.

The pups in the 120s are bill lawerence designed Gibson pups left over from the Gibson marauders. As a little known fact all the 120 parts are left over marauder parts, the three pc neck and the solid maple body as well. The 120 I refinished was a rocking machine.

Ding, ding, ding... You are correct.

The pups in the 120s are bill lawerence designed Gibson pups left over from the Gibson marauders. As a little known fact all the 120 parts are left over marauder parts, the three pc neck and the solid maple body as well. The 120 I refinished was a rocking machine.

Great info !

Well, I wired in a CTS 500k pot (the one it had measured 337k). It opened up the sound a bit, but it still is a fairly "weak-ish" output pickup. It kind of reminds me of a Melody Maker pickup, kind of single coily sounding. But the guitar itself is a smooth player! I see it was once owned by a forum member, as I there are pics of it in the gallery.

Archived