Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Express 5:50 vs Roland Cube 80x... yes, this is for real.

barrymclark

As much as this might sound like a Corvette vs a Pinto race, I can assure you, it is not.

Now that I have grown very comfortable with the Express, I A/B'd the two amps for about 30 minutes.

This focused purely on a single tone that I always play with and not about the multiple voicings that both amps are capable of.

For reference, the Mesa was set to Clean on Channel 1 with the Contour off and a touch of reverb. I also had the power level set to 5w. The Cube was set to JC Clean with a touch of reverb as well. The tests were done with a Heritage H575 and a Gretsch 6120. Neck pickup on both and both strung with D'Addario Chromes 11ga.

With how I have them set, believe it or not, there isn't a much in the way of SLAP YOU IN THE FACE difference. The low end is rich but controlled on both amps... but I might give the Cube a slight, slight edge on this.

Where I think the Express just walks away from the Cube is in the top four strings really or where you get into a woman's voice register. While the Cube stays fairly even in the way it handles the high tones vs the low, the Express just comes alive here. Now, this is with my guitars, the way I play and the way I have this amp set, but those lead notes are just something to marvel at. I wouldn't say this just lays waste to the Cube, but it is certainly a nudge in the direction of what moves me to play more.

Now, I have been looking for YEARS to have an amp beat my Cube. It looks as though I have finally found it. Don't go thinking this is a Tube vs SS issue. Remember that in my ears, this lowly Cube has downed many a tube amp. It has taken a lot of time and searching to find an amp to do what the Mesa Express does.

It does seem funny to me that it took an amp from MartyGrass to take down an amp from MartyGrass.

What a great pair of amps! I ogled and lusted for that 5:50.

As someone recently turned "Cubist", I must say I love my Mesa DC-5 and always use it when I host a home jam. It's big clean, punchy crunch, smooth sustain, and banshee screaming are just a few of the duties this amp handles.

But pound for pound,(Yeah, these days my back has a little to do with it.) I pick up my Cube 60 for the "away jams". With the on-board effects, it saves me packing a pedal or two. The Jazz Chorus channel (JC Clean) is dependable and powerful, and sings in its own sweet way.

It has some OK, but to me no outstanding, distortion voices, although for some reason the "British" and "Tweed" combine well with pedals.

I hear what you're saying about the JC mode on the Cube ( pun intended). I used to always set mine for the JC tone but found it a bit lacking in something so I now use the tweed amp voicing with the gain set at 9 o'clock or less. It has a more vocal quality, especially noticeable when playing single notes, and it even breaks up a little bit when digging in.

I also EQ the Cube differently to other amps, I set bass and mids to about 9 o'clock with treble and presence to zero. Treble and presence sometimes go to 7 or 8 o'clock but generally they stay rolled off.

EQ the Cube differently

Yes, generally, past noon on any EQ will be too much. Same with the gain on the distortions. Better too much than not enough, I guess. The JC and my Eagle Classic were meant to be together.

Yes, generally, past noon on any EQ will be too much. Same with the gain on the distortions. Better too much than not enough, I guess. The JC and my Eagle Classic were meant to be together.

The Eagle Classic is one that I am looking seriously at. Either that or a special 575 build. I had been taking a long look at a 525 just to have something a little more weather tolerant in the event I ever play outdoors. BUT.... I have the 6120 for that and, let's be honest, it will be quite some time before I play anywhere so... not so much of a worry of mine. What little I do play, will likely be very local and so travel and change in weather won't be too much of a concern.

Archived