Heritage Owners Club

Grover rotomatic replacements?

Markohio2112

Folks,

Finally got to play my new H150cm today for the first time and did some setup tweeks etc. I may get some heat for my next comment but here it is: Grover Rotomatics are junk, and gots to go. Anybody know if the screw hole on the Schaller line up with the Grover's that came stock? There is not a drawing that I can find that measure the center of the post to the center of the screw.

Anyway when these come off someone can have them for nothing or I will let my son smash them with a ball peen hammer.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks guys,

I dont know if Grover has off-shored production but in the last 10 years they have been horrible. I don't like to bash products because tastes vary amongst us all, but these bad boys just aint cutting it. Im going to look at the Kluson by tone pro's. My wife is going to kill me for spending more money on this guitar.

Thanks guys,

I dont know if Grover has off-shored production but in the last 10 years they have been horrible. I don't like to bash products because tastes vary amongst us all, but these bad boys just aint cutting it. Im going to look at the Kluson by tone pro's. My wife is going to kill me for spending more money on this guitar.

So, I'm thinking .... if she does you in because you spent more on the guitar, then you're not going to be needing it? ......... :laughing7:

Not sure what it is that you don't like about the Grovers. And are you sure they're stock? I like H's idea of the tulip style. I have those on two of my custom Heritages. And seriously, as you've mentioned yourself, different tastes for us all. Need pics when you get them puppies swapped out.

Folks,

Finally got to play my new H150cm today for the first time and did some setup tweeks etc. I may get some heat for my next comment but here it is: Grover Rotomatics are junk, and gots to go. Anybody know if the screw hole on the Schaller line up with the Grover's that came stock? There is not a drawing that I can find that measure the center of the post to the center of the screw.

Anyway when these come off someone can have them for nothing or I will let my son smash them with a ball peen hammer.

Thanks,

Mark

Grover production has been off-shored (as have most tuners), but I don't have particular experience with the quality of their new products. I think the Stew Mac page has the dimensions that you are looking for. If you go to the tuner you are interested in, at the bottom of the screen is a "spec" button which will take you to a measured drawing.

So, I'm thinking .... if she does you in because you spent more on the guitar, then you're not going to be needing it? ......... :laughing7:

Not sure what it is that you don't like about the Grovers. And are you sure they're stock? I like H's idea of the tulip style. I have those on two of my custom Heritages. And seriously, as you've mentioned yourself, different tastes for us all. Need pics when you get them puppies swapped out.

They are stock. The guitar is a 2013 wine burst from Wolfe in Florida. The issue with the Grovers is the buttons are sloppy on the posts. I guess i never had much luck with them compared to Gotoh and German Schaller's. You know the Germans make good stuff just look at the Sham-wow. LOL

When these come off they are free for the taking, just let me know who wants them.

There's a screw at the top of the button - have you tried tightening that? It might reduce the play in the button.

+1 tighten and they probably will work fine

You don't even have to drill the extra hole with the Klusons or Grover version thereof. They are stable with the one screw and its easy to return the guitar to stock.

Hmmmm...I did the swap to Klusons on my 535, love the Klusons, didn't know this was possible. Thanks for the tip.

Agreed on the Grovers...they're not my favorite cosmetically, but functionally, I've not experienced any quality issues with the 4 sets of Rotomatics I've had, and now I've got the locking Roto's... mine have spanned 20 years as OEM on some very high end guitars, acoustic and electric.

Hope you get it resolved. Congrats on the guitar

I remember hearing stories in the 80's that just before the Grover production moved to Korea that OEMs would have to sort through the Grovers to remove the bad ones before using them on guitars. I've never had a bad foreign produced one.

Well folks, I went with a set of Gotoh 18:1 Grover replacements, zero slop and no new holes to add they dropped right in. These actually have the same button as the Grover's.

Well folks, I went with a set of Gotoh 18:1 Grover replacements, zero slop and no new holes to add they dropped right in. These actually have the same button as the Grover's.

I've got a set of the Gotoh's on my Eastman acoustic. Very smooth operation, precise, and the guitar stays in tune with them.

It's good to know they're a direct replacement.

I've got a set of the Gotoh's on my Eastman acoustic. Very smooth operation, precise, and the guitar stays in tune with them.

It's good to know they're a direct replacement.

Yes, direct fit. Got them from Allparts,18:1 smooth like butter and no slop.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know the Gotohs fit. I love Gotohs for quality. My Johnny Smith has Grover Rotomatics and I had to get replacements for three of them from Heritage early in the guitar's life. Because they're black, I bought a new set to have as spares (back in 1998) and recently had to replace a couple more with tuners from that set. Next time it'll be Gotohs. Off shore, job killing, poor quality, bad business!

Doug

Good to know the Gotohs fit. I love Gotohs for quality. My Johnny Smith has Grover Rotomatics and I had to get replacements for three of them from Heritage early in the guitar's life. Because they're black, I bought a new set to have as spares (back in 1998) and recently had to replace a couple more with tuners from that set. Next time it'll be Gotohs. Off shore, job killing, poor quality, bad business!

Doug

Funny thing, I offered up the roto's I took off free to the first asker. Nobody took me up on the the deal so I donated them to a luthier buddy of mine. You will like the Gotoh's, very smooth and zero slop.

Archived