Heritage Owners Club

Seths in a 157?

Hfan

Yep, I'll put em in myself.

Seems to be a consensus that they are decent and kind of vintage sounding which is what I'm after. As a long time defender of the Schallers I'm curious what the Seths will do to the 157. I was playing with the idea of buying a LP and selling the 157 but after playing a few unimpressive $2k LPs I figured screw it, put a few bucks into the 157.

Thanks for all the good input.

The 157 is a $6K Les Paul

I think you are right. I only played a few Les Paul Traditionals very briefly and unplugged at that but the feel wasn't there. Hard for me to put into words but there was something missing.. I reached a conclusion that to get into 150 or 157 territory I'd have to buy a CS Gibbie. Then again i have a CL find $600 P90 LP Special that I love, go figure.

The Seths arrived today, and came with new rings which I need and the neck ring is thicker than the Schaller neck ring which should make it easier to shape around the high arch on mine. Hope to put them in tomorrow.

Seems like everyone was fawning over Seth Lovers 4 years ago when I first joined the HOC. After a while though, they sort of became passé.

Fortunately, I'm not swayed by that. In my guitar they're capable of really smooth cleans or can growl like mean dog with a little spank. To me, that's the essence of a Les Paul.

I've heard some really good sounding guitars with Seth Lovers in them!

The whole reason I bought a new H150 was to see if they compared to CS Gibsons. I think they are close, but not quite

there with the stock Tonepros hardware and heavier Mahogany. All in all though I think Heritage makes a nice guitar.

My sampling is of only 3 Heritages though, all H150s, so take it with a grain of salt. Alot of my friends who are crack

musicians have played my Heritages and they like them all, but non of them have preferred them over my Gibson R0.

But I see my two H150s and my Les Paul all as different flavors. They all have different tonal personalities.

Yeah, I was kind of comparing my CL find 157 with new LPs in the $2k - $2.3K range and I reached the conclusion that the 157, at around half the price was as good if not better. I thought it definitely felt better. That said I only played a few LPs. I got to thinking that I'd have to get into CS territory and the sticker shock that resides there.

I got the Seths installed today. Went very smoothly, hardest part was sanding the rings to match the high arch of the top but it came out perfect.

And the verdict for now is wishy washy, I always kind of liked the Schallers, I'm not great about describing tone but I found them to be kind of hi fi, clear, almost a single coil quality. And I like single coils, they do break up when pushed. I found today that they are 4 conductors, the neck was around 7.5k ohms and the bridge a little over 8. I don't know what magnets are in them.

The Seths sound good but don't seem to be a huge difference right off the bat. I will be tinkering with the pole and pup heights some more later. Oh well, I can see how guys can chase their tails swapping pups in and out. It is a fun tinker.

BTY, it looks like the pole spacing on the Duncans are the same as the Schallers so if anyone ever wants to swap covers around it should work.

And a thanks to H for posting those tips on pickup ring sanding some time ago.

Archived