Heritage Owners Club

Amp question ?

I'm a bait confused here. I have several amps that serve different purposes. I normally plug in extension cabinets rated at the same ohms as the speakers in the amp. The dilemma I have is a combo 1 X 12 Tube amp. The speaker is 8 ohm and the connection to that speaker states 8 ohm. The extension speaker jack states 4 ohm. Does that mean that any extension cabinet speaker I plug into it should be rated at 4 Ohms? Will it potentially cause damage if I plug one of my 8 ohm extension cabinets into it?

For that application, I would download a copy of the owner's manual and learn the intent of that particular jack.

Then, as a general rule, you can connect a cabinet to to an amp if the ohms of resistence is equal to or higher than what the amp recommends but not lower. So, an 8 ohm output jack on an amp will accept an 8 ohm cabinet or a 16 ohm cabinet but not a 4 ohm. In this example, the 8 ohm cab will be louder than the 16 ohm.

I agree with Hanger, the lower ohm rating is like going to a larger water hose where the larger hose might allow too much water to be pumped resulting in a fried pump. The higher rating causes more resistance which is usually safer for amplifiers to handle.

For that application, I would download a copy of the owner's manual and learn the intent of that particular jack.

Then, as a general rule, you can connect a cabinet to to an amp if the ohms of resistence is equal to or higher than what the amp recommends but not lower. So, an 8 ohm output jack on an amp will accept an 8 ohm cabinet or a 16 ohm cabinet but not a 4 ohm. In this example, the 8 ohm cab will be louder than the 16 ohm.

It's a Heritage Kenny Burrrell. No owners manual. I'll have to start looking around on-line.

hmm, or if you plug in another 8 ohm cab into the circuit you'll end up with a 4 ohm load.

This was my thought exactly.

I see more research is necessary. I was hoping for a quick answer.

Most extension speaker outs are wired in parallel. Plugging another 8 ohm speaker would give you 4 ohms, however, if you speaker out is not labeled extension, it could be a dedicated tap for a 4 ohm load. What amp are we talking about?

Heritage Kenny Burrell 1 x 12.

Heritage Amplification Owner's Manual: http://rjsanders.com...nual binder.pdf

Thank you Gitfiddler. The linked helped. Question answered. If I want to connect to another cabinet I need to disconnect the internal speaker. If I want to run two 12's I need an 8 ohm 2 x 12 cabinet with the internal speaker of the amp disconnected.

Archived