Heritage Owners Club

Incoming Tech 21

While it's not exactly an amp, it is a Power Engine 60. This is basically a loudspeaker for use with either multi effect units or other devices such as an iPad or iPod. For a grab and go standpoint, I can use this as a rehearsal, live, or recording setup. I love what I get when playing my guitar through the iPad, this will help me carry it over live. XLR to a soundboard or PA will help with live sounds.

I found a box covered in snow this afternoon at my backdoor steps. Opened it up and found the cool black Tolex and wheat grill cloth...

Placed on the floor for a couple hours to warm up to the house temp. (It was 11 degrees today)

Placed my iPad on its stand, hooked up the Sonic Port to the iPad, guitar, and Power Engine 60. Set the tone controls flat (TMB), turned the volume down to 9 o'clock, and let the iPad do its thing.

It worked like a charm. Sounded more realistic then any modeling amp I've used. While I haven't cranked it yet, I did rather enjoy running my background tunes, metronome, and recording while playing live was great.

Tomorrow I want to run my 445 through it. See how it sounds. Hopefully, I'll be able to crank it up this weekend to see if it's all that. At 30lbs, it's not bad at all. XLR output will come in handy one day I suspect.

This is very intriguing, DB, now that I have an iPad I can do similar things. Forge ahead, would love to hear a sound clip or two once you get going at it.

Is there a way to connect from it to a computer interface? Or is that something you do directly from the ipad?

The Line 6 Sonic Port had a special cable that connects to a iOS device. From there, there's a special driver to install. The iPad is my preamp, recording, backtrack, and metronome device. The interfaces for the device are 1/4" in and out , 1/8" in and out. That's the only way to connect to a PC. Koula has another type that is more like a mic preamp to interface with a PC.

Just found a really nice looking mate for your new Power Engine and it's from the same folks that make the Power Engine.

New at NAMM this year and not yet released;

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

I will own this ASAP.Estimated cost approx $250.

I'll look for a used one in the future.... I go through so much gear, I'd lose money buying new...

sounds Cool josh.. I'm going to join this digital revolution someday..(or not).. LOL I feel lost sometimes in all the tech stuff..

I cranked it up to about 3 o'clock.... This thing is every bit as loud as the Supersonic 60 I had. Wow! Sounded great!

Really! And did it sound as good? Can you get a bassman sound out of it?

Really! And did it sound as good? Can you get a bassman sound out of it?

it all depends on the iPad. I'll have another Amplitube that is all Fender amps. Bassman is my favorite on that. I'll pull out my Strat tonight and give it a whirl.

it all depends on the iPad. I'll have another Amplitube that is all Fender amps. Bassman is my favorite on that. I'll pull out my Strat tonight and give it a whirl.

so is Amplitube the app on the ipad that contains all the amp modelling and virtual stomp boxes?

so is Amplitube the app on the ipad that contains all the amp modelling and virtual stomp boxes?

Not quite... there is a free version that is really limited on amps/cabs/effects. There are ones you can buy as well as nickle and dime yourself for additional pedals and amps. I bought the Fender version a year or so ago when I had an excessive amount of iTunes gift cards...

Hey DB,

Was looking to buy an iPad/Sonic Port as a practice setup...have you tried Jammit? That looks kind of cool.

Have you ran this through headphones too? Which out did you use, the SP or the iPad?

Thanks hombre!

Chris

Never tried Jammit... I do use the headphone jack frequently of the Sonic Port. The iPad's is disabled when using the sonic port. I will play my True Fire downloads or Youtube while having Amplitube running in the background so I can play along with the lessons. I also can put a song on there and play along to it as well. If I want to play through the Tech 21, I just connect an amp cable from the outport of the SP to the input jack of the amp.

Not quite... there is a free version that is really limited on amps/cabs/effects. There are ones you can buy as well as nickle and dime yourself for additional pedals and amps. I bought the Fender version a year or so ago when I had an excessive amount of iTunes gift cards...

so, if it's not software, or an app, then what is Amplitube?

so, if it's not software, or an app, then what is Amplitube?

It's what you thought it was. DB means that you have to spend a bit extra to get all the amps and pedals, etc. Still pretty good value :)

It's what you thought it was. DB means that you have to spend a bit extra to get all the amps and pedals, etc. Still pretty good value :)

thanks, H.

Archived