Heritage Owners Club

Incoming Tech 21

Guest HRB853370

I cranked it up to about 3 o'clock.... This thing is every bit as loud as the Supersonic 60 I had. Wow! Sounded great!

So you would and could take it to a gig?

Have you tried any of the other amp modelers? BIAS looks interesting ($20), and I think there was another one that's supposed to be pretty good. I may go pick up an iPad4 today.

I really like Peavey's Ampkit. I have also tried Garageband, but I find it to cumbersome to use. All of them have a base price range of about $20. Most have a demo verison you can try first.

If you buy an iPad today, you'll still need to get an interface model. Mine was $100 from Sweetwater.

Yea, I'm still looking around for that. I see that the Apogee Jam96 is out now, although a lot of people like the Sonic Port with it's multiple outputs. I'm using this just for practice, since I have yet to gig.

Plus Jammit looks pretty cool for learning some songs, although that may get expensive if you get trigger happy.

Sonoma has the GuitarJack 2 that looks nice as well, no lightning connector though ($30 cable).

I tried the Fender version of Amplitube last night. Its not impressive... The Bassman and Fender Twin were the only usable tones... The Supersonic, Deluxe Reverb, Pro Sonic, and Pro Jr were terrible. Either headphones or throught the Tech 21.

man that's too bad because I was planning on buying Amplitube with the Fender Bundle. Is there a Princeton Reverb sound in there?

I plan on getting the Focusrite iDock for my interface, just introduced at NAMM. It doesn't come out till April/May. Here's the link:

http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-22841-focusrite-itrack-dock-recording-interface-for-ipad.aspx?gclid=CNrfrsKPpLwCFZJxOgod_EIA4Q

No, but none of them sound that great... Very disappointing to say the least.

How about any of your other apps through the cab? I know you liked your Peavey sound - did you use that at rehearsal and if so, how did it sound?

• 4 weeks later...

Took the Tech 21 Power Engine and my iPad to rehearsal last night.... The Tech 21 delivered in Spades. Very crisp, cut through perfectly, sounded loud and proud. Very full and rich sounding. I did go back to my Traynor halfway through because I don't have a Tremolo effect on the iPad when using a Marshall amp. But the Power Engine will definately cut through and be louder then my 20 watt Traynor.

Josh,

Did you ever consider getting the Trademark instead of the Power Engine? Seems like it might not be a bad option in case as a failsafe should something go wrong with the iPad.

On another note, I got Bias and Jamup Pro and they sound terrific, at least through my headphones. You may want to try those out if you haven't yet, although I know you've sunk some money into Amplitube.

Chris

For the moment, Amplitube and Ampkit are good enough for what I'm doing. Tech 21 has a new "pedal" coming out this year which is basically an analog preamp called the Fly Rig V. Tha's a cool option. I've thought about the Trademark 60, saw one recently for $300. Seemed like a good deal. I'm kind of looking for an amp that I can send the preamp out and back again to connect the Power Engine, so I can use the tube amp's normal speaker config and add the Power Engine to it.

Archived