Heritage Owners Club

Wah's and High Gain

My suggestion is to get 1, good, tunable wah, I really like my Wilson, but a Fulltone Clyde or Teese with all the bells and whistles would work, with one of these you could adjust it to whatever rig your using, and adjust it again as the rig changes, it would last you forever with maybe a pot replacement once in awhile, and you would always able to get the most possible with a wah with whatever gear you use. I think Wilsons are the cheapest of the really high end wahs and I've been beating the hell out of mine for about 3 years without a hiccup.

I doubt you will take my advice Josh history shows you tend to do your own thing but I think you might be on your way to buying wah after wah and being unsatisfied with most of them, and eventually ending up with one like I'm suggesting.

P.S. I use mine with metal like high gain and it still stays above the mix with a broad sweep and great tone, their is no volume jump with mine because it's true bypass, but it has a buffer that switches on with the circuit so it still works with fuzzes, it's also very, very quiet with overdrives and distortions where most wahs tend to get noisy and squeal, but if I want to it can be coaxed into crazy feedback if I want it to.

I'm trying to help buddy, if you think about it like an amp, one of these wahs are built with good components, that can be replaced if something breaks, where Crybabys, Vox, Morley and Ibanez Wahs are mass produced and not designed to be serviced. If you get a really good wah now, it will be the last one you have to buy, you might choose to buy another later, but it will be a want and not a need.

All these "signature" and "artist" wahs are a joke, strictly marketing. In almost all cases the artist uses a rack unit with a pedal that controls the unit, Jerry Cantrell has a "signature" model and uses a Dunlop rack unit and usually has 3 different controllers set at different places on the stage so he can get to them from where ever he's at. There are some artist that actually use a normal wah, typically people that are not using extremely elaborate rigs and high gain, but the thing to remember is they don't have to buy their own, and can go through as many as they want.

I had/have an old Crybaby that I worked on, modded and eventually gutted and put a new board in from General Guitar Gadgets in and really like it now, but I would never go back to a crybaby.

There was a big fuss over the Hendrix wah, it's basically the same as the regular wah but twice the price. Consumers were a bit peeved to say the least.

Most of the artist models are basically the same circuit as the standard with very minor changes.

Morley Wah is terrible. Kept messing with my Crybaby, I think I have it dialed in. Morley goes back!

The Crybaby is still going to get lost in the mix when your with the band at higher volumes. Get a good one and be done with it.

I've been messing with my Dunlop Crybaby Classic. When I replaced the pot awhile ago, it wasn't the same. Then when the pot came loose, I put it back thinking it was shot. Ended up needing to be adjusted properly, now it cries like there is no tomorrow. Playing with higher gain, I gave it cutting through perfectly. Interesting thing with my Classic Wah, it adds a bit of a clean volume boost.

Get a good auto wah, the Snow White Auto Wah by Mad professor is the best of those.Warren Hayes has one on his board.

I have one for sale ,but having second thoughts on selling actually..sounds great.

• 1 month later...

The new band I'm trying out for has a lot of heavier music, much louder, more gain and what not. But I've noticed that when I use my wah (Dunlop GCB95F Classic), the wah is very subtle, if not noticeable, at certain points rocking it back and forth. My guess is the frequency is being countered by another either in the gain of the amp or in the mix with the band. Are there advantages of using other types of wahs like Morely or the use of more mellow Wah pedals? I've thought about switch to a Morely Bad Horsie II or a Vox Joe Satriani Big Bad Wah. I don't need a wah with built in gain as my Dunlop does seem to jump the gain a bit. (not sure if that is a true bypass thing or not).

Any suggestions?

Another option would be getting a Teese RMC wah. You can take the bottom plate off and adjust the shape or tone of your wah until you find a setting which sounds good to you.

The only what I've ever been totally satisfied with was the one I had in the '70s called the Purple Haze. It was spring-loaded and sounded good to my ears.

Archived