Heritage Owners Club

H550 jazz tone?

friendofjaco

I was wondering about these guitars. They look awesome especially with the Lollar P90's. Curious about the jazz tone with the fixed bridge as apposed to a floating wood bridge? Can anybody describe the H550 and how it compares to a jazz box with a floating bridge? Very interesting guitars.

I liked the 550s I have played, but I can directly compare a fixed & floating bridge on the 525s. I bought my 525 with a floating bridge because I thought it gave the 525 that archtop & hollowbody warmth and round tone for smokey jazz & blues. The 525s I played with fixed bridges were a little more metalic and brighter sounding.

Just my .02

To your original question about the jazz tones out of a 550...VERY close to a solid wood archtop, especially in a band situation. Yes, there is a bit more clarity due to the TOM bridge and laminate construction. But the size of that big, full hollow body gives a thick, jazz tone, especially with flatwounds.

I played my (now long gone) 550 back to back with my Golden Eagle and was amazed how good the 550 was. It was definitely not comparable to the tonal complexity of the GE, but it held its own, with a unique 'Tal Farlow or Benson-like' tone. The 550 excels at note definition and does not get muddy unless you roll the tone back to the extreme.

Guest HRB853370

I own both the 550 and the 525, neither with a floating wood bridge. My 525 has p90's and the 550 Duncan 59's, so there is obviously differences in tonality, but as far as the 550 living up to being a legit jazz box, Gittfiddler hit the nail on the head. And amazingly, my 550 cost me $500 less than my 525 (which has no bling) and the 550 is totally blinged out, has "custom" on the headstock in MOP too.

I own both the 550 and the 525, neither with a floating wood bridge. My 525 has p90's and the 550 Duncan 59's, so there is obviously differences in tonality, but as far as the 550 living up to being a legit jazz box, Gittfiddler hit the nail on the head. And amazingly, my 550 cost me $500 less than my 525 (which has no bling) and the 550 is totally blinged out, has "custom" on the headstock in MOP too.

For whatever this is worth, I would gladly pay more for less bling. Mostly I just find it inconvenient and distracting. I've thought about what my specs would be if I custom ordered a 550 and it would start with one pickup and no fingerboard inlays.

For whatever this is worth, I would gladly pay more for less bling. Mostly I just find it inconvenient and distracting. I've thought about what my specs would be if I custom ordered a 550 and it would start with one pickup and no fingerboard inlays.

Jim thinking about another custom order? Been what, three weeks since the long scale 575 came in?

Jim thinking about another custom order? Been what, three weeks since the long scale 575 came in?

No. Right now I'm in selling mode. I have more guitars that I need and some bills to cover. After that, who knows. And it's only been 12 days. Good days though. I played my first gig with the new guitar on Saturday and it was a real pleasure. Next up is a video.

Archived