Heritage Owners Club

Doyle Coils PAF's

I got a call from Jack Briggs a few days ago concerning a set of pickups he was testing. He was very excited and even said these may be the best set of humbuckers he's ever heard, and he's heard plenty. I asked if he wound them, and he said they were wound by Tom Doyle, who was Les Paul's tech for the last 45 years. According to Tom, he and Les had been constantly "tinkering" with pickup designs to try to capture a clean, bell like sound from a humbucker. Les always considered most humbuckers to be muddy on the bass notes.

Jack and I have very similar taste in pickups; what they should sound like, how much output they should have and how a neck and bridge pickup should "interact" for the best tones in the middle position.

Jacks tester guitar is one of his Avatar models. Well, I may not have heard as many pickups as Jack but, I will have to say these were the best set I have ever heard also. They did have a bell like quality but they also have very rich and sweet harmonic overtones you rarely hear in most pickups. The note decay, or natural sustain, was the best I have ever heard, and this was at a very reasonable volume level. I believe the neck pickup read 6.75K and the bridge 7.56K. Jack is selling some other pickups he has, on TGP, to fund the purchase a few sets of these. It looks like I may be doing the same! Have mercy!

http://www.doylecoils.com

Archived