Heritage Owners Club

NAD! Vox Night Train

Well... I met the guy at the local guitar center, acted like I was checking out guitar cabs and tried out this little beast, and didn't have any problems. We acted like friends and exchanged money outside. It really screams!!! I was playing a 1956 Les Paul Jr., so that DEFINITELY did not hurt, but it sounded great on both channels. It is definitely going to be cool in stereo, the lead gain channel is GREAT with the EL84's and I think it will pair nicely with my Gries 35. I will do a more formal review once I buy a Cab.

Please suggest what cabs I should start to look at, or where to order one. I have never owned one. I am looking for a 2x12 most likely. Should I go open or closed back? Having a blonde cab with a wheat grill cloth is a must.

vytysy5u.jpgqedazage.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What amp are you using for the other half of the stereo? I'd attempt to match the outputs/cabs if possible.

What amp are you using for the other half of the stereo? I'd attempt to match the outputs/cabs if possible.

It is a Gries 35 which is a Blackface clone, open back 35 Watts combo. This night train is 15 watts so maybe closed back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avatar makes some nice cabs with your choice of speakers or empty. Those look like fun little amps, will have to try one some day. With 15 watts, an open back might be the ticket for a larger "open" sound. Enjoy!

This is interesting, how does the layout work?

I am completely ignorant but if I had to improvise I would do:

Guitar -> 1st amp input -> fx send -> stereo delay -> fx return of both amp.

In other words, use the preamp of a single amp and the power section of both, right?

This...plus go with the dual Vintage 30 upgrade. I've got a single 12 speaker cab from Carvin with a pre-Chinese V30 that squawks hooked up to my 18w Champs. Your 15 watter should sound amazing. (I pulled off the plastic Carvin name plate for a smooth vintage look).

What tubes are in that Train? I'm diggin' it!

This is interesting, how does the layout work?

I am completely ignorant but if I had to improvise I would do:

Guitar -> 1st amp input -> fx send -> stereo delay -> fx return of both amp.

In other words, use the preamp of a single amp and the power section of both, right?

I use mono from my delay into the stereo outs of my last three pedals in the chain (Reverb -> Tremolo -> Looper). It sounds insanely cool and it was my first time trying stereo effects. The Supa Trem 2 is so cool because it uses the tremolo effect between the two different amps either completely in phase with one another all the way up to bouncing back and forth between the two.

Here is a picture. The ditto looper in this photo was only going to one amp. Stereo, you just put a second cable to the second amp. I don't use effects loops, I am a strait in to the front of the amp guy. Effects loops confuse me so I don't buy amps that have them. I buy effects that work well in front of the amps I have and amps that love pedals. =)

IMG_5731_zps792b1ae8.jpg

Stereo, you just put a second cable to the second amp. I don't use effects loops, I am a strait in to the front of the amp guy. Effects loops confuse me so I don't buy amps that have them. I buy effects that work well in front of the amps I have and amps that love pedals.

So you end up with two pre-amps?

I which case you could have very different voicing for the L and R channels

Stereo, you just put a second cable to the second amp. I don't use effects loops, I am a strait in to the front of the amp guy. Effects loops confuse me so I don't buy amps that have them. I buy effects that work well in front of the amps I have and amps that love pedals.

So you end up with two pre-amps?

I which case you could have very different voicing for the L and R channels

Yes, if you have a clean and dirty amp going at the same time it is incredible. It really sounds full. You just have to balance the output of each amp to your taste. I set the dirty one to like 70% of the volume of the clean amp. Try it, you might be surprised. I have no clue how you would do it with the FX loops...

I couldn't believe my ears the first time I tried stereo. I don't think I would play out that way unless it was a really big gig, mainly because it's a lot to lug around. But at home if you have multiple amps it is really fun to mess around with. If I can make it to PSP this year I will bring my pedalboard and you can try it out!

I just got the 1x12 Cab from VHT and I have to say I am impressed. I didn't think I would be for $175 bucks shipped. But I like it, the speaker is a little harsh, so I am going to buy a WGS Reaper 50 HP to add some low end and tame some of the shrill highs the stock chrome back speaker has. I am very excited and playing in stereo was SO FREAKING COOL with two real tube amps rather than an acoustic amp. I am in lust! I cannot wait to swap the speaker. I will also be able to use this speaker cab with my Gries 35.

All the WGS stuff seems to be really well regarded and I am considering a swap to a ET65 for my Gries Amp. Does anyone have experience with their ET65?

Archived