Heritage Owners Club

Musty Smells Suck

Tim

So, I've got this issue. I have recently purchased a couple of guitars (an H-530 being one of them) that are in pristine condition and play very well. The problem is this...I purchased them used and the cases smell god awful. Love the guitars, but the cases smell like s___t. Any suggestions?

Febreze_500ml_CrispClean_HD_L.png

You might also try dilute clorox in water and spray it in the case to kill the mold. Just an idea.

I've used febreze lightly and left cases outside for weeks in a protected sunny location to get rid of the musty smell.

I've left guitars outside for weeks (during the day) in a shady location to get rid of the smokey smell.

YMMV

I've used febreze lightly and left cases outside for weeks in a protected sunny location to get rid of the musty smell.

I've left guitars outside for weeks (during the day) in a shady location to get rid of the smokey smell.

YMMV

I have done this as well with cases, sprayed a bunch of febreeze wiped the whole case down with a rag and left it in the sun to dry for several days. Use a Liberal amount, febreeze now sells an unscented version. That is what I use.

I bought an ES-175 from a smoker a few years ago. I purchased an ozone generator - car dealers use 'em to get rid of smells. I have used it to get rid of damp basement smell.

I took the largest guitar box that I could find in a Guitar Center dumpster, put the guitar on a stand, put the box on top, and the ozone machine underneath. Ran it for an hour, and left it there. Still smelled. Repeated it. Still smelled. Long story short, it took a few treatments. In the end, I got the best results but doing a treatment, and then sitting the guitar outside to air out immediately afterwards.

You could still smell it if you stuck your nose right into the f hole. But you could play it without too much bother at all. And I have a pretty sensitive nose.

Bought a used Tele once that smelt like it did a couple of tours with Keith Richards - you never forget what that first whiff is like the first time you open the case!

I had success with alternating treatments of A and B, below:

A. Half a dozen sprays of Nature's Miracle (any major retailer that sells pet products). I found the orange scented to be pleasant. Leave the case propped open outdoors in direct sunlight during the day.

B. Using any kind of cedar wood product that will fit in the case, give the wood a good sanding (100 grit sandpaper is fine), wipe off any sawdust, and place the wood in the closed case indoors, overnight.

During treatment, the guitar has been left indoors, outside of the case. In my experience, keeping the two separated as long as possible has been best.

Best of luck!

The drum cases that I just bought smell like a smoky bar and cherry air freshener....But the drums are off the charts!

I agree w/ the fresh air treatment---but I have had little luck completely eliminating odors from cases or guitars---luckily, most have had pleasant smells. Good luck!

Tea tree oil.

You can find it online, including on Amazon

If the musty odor is mildew, it will be killed. It's a lttle pricey, but it works!

Archived