Heritage Owners Club

2x12 Speaker Cab Question.

CJTopes

I have a 2x12 speaker cab that I want to wire to be 8ohms. Will it make any difference to the tone of the speakers or the performance of the amp if I get 2 - 4 ohm speakers and wire in series or if I get 2- 16 ohm speakers and wire them parallel. Currently I have 2 8 ohm wired in series. Easiest would be to buy the 4 oms and leave the wiring. But I saw a deal on a pair of 16 ohm but I'd have to re-wire. Will it make any difference which way I do it?

there may be a volume difference between 4 ohm & 16 ohm speakers?

at least, individually. I'm not sure if it would matter if they're wired for the same impedence

if you got 16 ohm speakers you would have more options for combining the cab with another one...or using the speakers in a 4x12 down the road

If you believe Gerald Weber,

p480 Tube Guitar Amplifier Essentials c2004: "In general, there is less branch inductance when wiring speakers in parallel. Less inductance gives a cleaner; more defined, clearer, brighter overall tone."

Some forums might generate pages of opinion. From my perspective, I either don't have such discriminating ears or I have knobs on the equipment that compensate. Further, my signal was picked up by that tiny diaphragm in the SM57 and run FOH. The design of the speaker ( efficiency, wattage and frequency response ) is probably more important.

However, there is the idea that when one part of the circuit is open in series then the entire circuit is open. While if you blow a speaker wired in parallel, then the transformer will still see a reasonable load and is less likely to be damaged.

with tube amplifiers you have to match the impedance of the speaker system to the impedance of the amp. It won't produce more power with less resistance.

solid state amps on the other hand produce more power with less resistance.

Archived