Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H-575 Archtops - Light Build?

Quietflame

Looking at an H-575 on the Forum. No dealers close by to try. Are Heritage Archtops considered a light build? I had an early 60's Gibson ES125 T (now gone) that I considered light. I have played Gibson ES137 and Ibanez that struck me as more of a rock/blues guitar with modest chambers on the side, like a modified Les Paul. No way to test, but I would appreciate any insight or leads.

I looked at about 3 pages of discussion, and found something on Eagles but not 575s.

Many thanks from a new member.

Jazzrat is right. In terms of hollowbody weight, I wouldn't at all characterize a 575 as light. The weight difference between my mahogany Eagle and maple 575 is notable. Despite having a larger bout, deeper rim and longer scale, I'd say there is an easy 3lbs difference between them with the Eagle being lighter.

I have played Gibson ES137 and Ibanez that struck me as more of a rock/blues guitar with modest chambers on the side, like a modified Les Paul.

I'd be very surprised if a 575 weighed as much as a Gibson 137 but it's possible. If you want light, you could look for a spruce top 575. They only have one pickup… and spruce of course is light. But they don't sound the same as the maple models.

I haven't put them on a scale, but am amazed at the weight difference between my two 575's. (I know, I'm an archtop geek!). Natural is lighter than the Blue Burst.

I'm sure it's all about the Maple (density?) used on both, since neither have Spruce tops, and both have two pickups and similar Mahogany neck carves and large metal tailpieces. They also have different voices...both very appealing to my ears.

First of all - my thanks to everyone who responded. It is really a pleasure to have such knowledgeable and objective feedback so quickly. As I said, there are no dealers close by for me to try one.

It is a tribute to Heritage guitars and the people who play them.

I'll follow up with a note if it goes through.

• 3 weeks later...

Promised I would post a note if I got the H-575. I am now the owner of my first Heritage - a wonderful guitar. Now, I need to raise my level of playing. What a good problem to have!

Archived