Heritage Owners Club

Soon to be NGD jitters

Ghostbound

Hey, everyone. So my newly built H555 is sitting at Wolfe Guitars as I type this. It is slated to be shipped out to me on Monday with a projected arrival date of Wednesday or Thursday. The folks at Wolfe were kind enough to provide me with a couple pictures of the guitar while I await its arrival...and I cannot help but think that the color is not what I had envisioned or even asked for. I had asked for a dark almond sunburst in the exact vein of this:

post-19704-0-82271200-1414877673_thumb.jpg

The pictures I received were of more a bright orange-burst variety, which I absolutely do not want:
post-19704-0-71835900-1414877335_thumb.jpg
post-19704-0-72703300-1414877333_thumb.jpg

Now, i realize that pictures can be deceiving in that the flash (and other things, such as the actual picture quality, et cetera) can be a huge factor, and also that my own mind is getting ahead of itself by virtue of the excitement and anticipation I have in finally getting to handle this gorgeous instrument, which I spent a rather large sum upon. What do you guys think? Are the colors at all similar? Am I just being too finicky? Do I have nothing to worry about? What if the color IS wrong; what is to be done?

Regards,

Alec

post-19704-0-72703300-1414877333_thumb.jpg

post-19704-0-71835900-1414877335_thumb.jpg

post-19704-0-82271200-1414877673_thumb.jpg

In any case it's really a beautiful guitar. The sunbursts are all shot by hand, so I would think that no two would ever be exactly the same. If you're nervous about it you might call Jay prior to shipping and see what he thinks.

I do have the receipt which does clearly state "Dark Almond Burst". I'll try to give them a ring tomorrow and see what they think. A part of me just wants to relax and see what arrives come Wednesday or Thursday. My phone conversation with Graham yesterday did indicate that it has a darker hue, so perhaps I will be happy regardless.

-Alec

FWIW, here's my experience:

When I custom ordered my 535 through Wolfe, I had a very specific vision of the guitar --a 'burst from black to yellow, with the rim as black as the ebony of the special ordered board. I talked to Jay about it several times, and he recommended I order old style burst with a special note to accentuate black to yellow, Jay, however, kept calling the finish I was describing as tobacco burst, which to me means dark brown to light brown. But, there is no "official" Heritage finish called tobacco burst, so, I never told him in so many words --that's NOT what I want. When the guitar arrived, sure enough, it was what I'd call tobacco burst, and not even close to what I had in mind.

That was probably ten years ago, now. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed at first, but over the years I've learned to appreciate the guitar for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I wouldn't part with it for the world --soon as I hit post, it will be in my hands. When you deal with guitar people and craftsmen, you have to realize that you tell them what you want, and then they are going to do what they do. They have a vision too. My two cents, of course, and pennies aren't even legal tender.

I know this is going to make me sound like the old curmudgeon piling on, but I have the same concerns as you. I ordered an eagle through Wolfe back in March and I'm still waiting for my guitar. Since then I have seen numerous posts on this forum of orders placed and filled while I continue to wait. With that being said, keep an open mind as these guitars are all a little different. However I would discuss your return options with Wolfe before the guitar ships.

FWIW, here's my experience:

When I custom ordered my 535 through Wolfe, I had a very specific vision of the guitar --a 'burst from black to yellow, with the rim as black as the ebony of the special ordered board. I talked to Jay about it several times, and he recommended I order old style burst with a special note to accentuate black to yellow, Jay, however, kept calling the finish I was describing as tobacco burst, which to me means dark brown to light brown. But, there is no "official" Heritage finish called tobacco burst, so, I never told him in so many words --that's NOT what I want. When the guitar arrived, sure enough, it was what I'd call tobacco burst, and not even close to what I had in mind.

That was probably ten years ago, now. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed at first, but over the years I've learned to appreciate the guitar for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I wouldn't part with it for the world --soon as I hit post, it will be in my hands. When you deal with guitar people and craftsmen, you have to realize that you tell them what you want, and then they are going to do what they do. They have a vision too. My two cents, of course, and pennies aren't even legal tender.

Well, in fairness, pennies are actually legal tender, albeit nonsensically more expensive to produce than they are actually worth :-) This was really helpful, in fact. Thank you!

-Alec

So I had a 25-minute conversation with Graham this morning, and I can safely say that most of my fears have been assuaged. Essentially, the second, brighter picture was taken with Jay's Nikon camera, which tends to bring out the "reds" in most Bursts they receive. He assured me that the color is, in fact, dark almond sunburst and that I would notice a difference if it was to be placed side by side with a normal almond sunburst. He also went on to say that my pre-guitar-jitters (hereby referred to as "PGJ") are hardly abnormal, and mine are not even the worst he has seen. Needless to say, I am returned to a state of finger-twitchy excitement. Pictures to follow its arrival.

Oh, and he also mentioned that mine is one of more striking H555s he has come across in quite some time.

-Alec

Well, in fairness, pennies are actually legal tender, albeit nonsensically more expensive to produce than they are actually worth :-) This was really helpful, in fact. Thank you!

-Alec

Actually not in Canada any more. But yes, those look like pics of two different guitars.

Archived