Heritage Owners Club

Suggestions on where to get a cabinet wrapped?

barrymclark

In and around the Atlanta, GA or Chattanooga, TN area, anyone have any thoughts where I might get my GIbson GA-20T cabinet redone?

Jon, my old friend and amp tech, suggested that I go to a good upholsterer.

I am looking to have black tweed applied. :D

If you don't have any luck with an upholstery shop, contact Taylor at amplifiednation.com, he does good work.

Or maybe just consider leaving it as is, and throw a fresh coat of lacquer on it to preserve it? Kind of a rat-rod kind of thing?

Preface notice...

home from dinner with ski clients and whiskey, safely. Wow for that.

Ummm, What KBP said. PERIOD. Then…as tolex blankets cab tone...

86 tolex.

86 tolex.

86 tolex...

rub a dub dub. Start with 120 grit, drop to 220 at least, hand job with the grain, ooooeeeee! get the naked skin to looking a bit better than double bagger, then close your eyes and feel out all over...feeling …aaaaah. the feeling, smooth the rough spots more, with feeeeeeling, grease the unit with some polyurethane, color optional, more than one coat, sand with the feeling w/220 or finer between coats, call done. If that doesn't work then buy a spray can of flat black and be ugly early...

Preface notice...

home from dinner with ski clients and whiskey, safely. Wow for that.

I really hope you weren't driving. My first born will be driving in two weeks, trust me, your whole perspective of drunk drivers grows even more intolerant. I am just making an assumption from your post you were driving home. If so, next time, save a life (yours or some one's kid) and take a cab.

If someone else drove you home, I hope you had a great time... Sounds like it was!!! :)

No way! The intent was never restoration or the worn out ratty look. Different tastes for different people and all that... but this is a special me amp.

In the end... it is going to look something more along the lines of this but with a black tweed cover (just gotta find where I can get black tweed!):

STR-TREM_big1.jpg

Archived