Heritage Owners Club

Custom Millie gig fail

212Mavguy

FREEEEEAK!

Right in the middle of a song one of my Millies let go. Mid song mid set right when I went for a solo....AAAAAUGH! All of a sudden no sound out of neck PU, other two positions on the PU switch sounded the same.

Finished the gig with my Joe Till Baritone. The Millie had acted up once before, then all good as if nothing ever happened. I was fearing the worst, since the pickup switch tends to work loose while playing from the instrument's lively body resonance, PU switch has no access hatch on the back.

Put her in the back of the harem like a bad gurl and ignored her for a coupla weeks... then four fingers of Glenlivet late this afternoon after an extended late afternoon football and NASCAR boob tube sesh, a manually extended invitation to visit the good tone doctor occurred.

OOOOH, dis gwine be fugly...

Took off the control cavity cover and started looking and feeling her up...one of the exploring digits found a pot ground lug sticking up and a neck PU wire's metal mesh outer covering right there too. Did a little gentle tugging lead dress on that wire, plugged 'er in, and she roared!

Lucky easy! The whole thang took less than ten minutes start to finish.

Remember the 6 P's...take a look into the control cavity and make sure the pickup wires are routed where they won't cause future trouble in your gigging Heritage instruments. Wires apparently can shift over time with use and transport.

ha...glad you didn't have to do any major surgery!

I have been lucky so far with that kind of thing. I try to jam any extra wire somewhere it can't move from or hit anything else, but it doesn't always stay put

I don't like cutting pickup leads too short in case I need the extra length if/when I swap it out

Archived