Heritage Owners Club

HRW P'ups...Coil Tapped. Great or Not-So Great?

Gitfiddler

These questions are for those of you with HRW's in your current or previous gitfiddles.

How do they sound Coil Tapped?

Can they be wired via a Push-Pull Tone Pot, or is it best to have a separate Mini-Toggle installed as the factory used to do?

My H555 has HRW's and I'm seeking more tonal flexibility. Only the neck p'up is being considered for this mod and I'd prefer to not poke any holes in her beautiful body.

Can they be wired via a Push-Pull Tone Pot, or is it best to have a separate Mini-Toggle installed as the factory used to do?

My H555 has HRW's and I'm seeking more tonal flexibility. Only the neck p'up is being considered for this mod and I'd prefer to not poke any holes in her beautiful body.

I don't see why using a push-pull pot would be any different from a mini toggle - the switches are essentially the same, differing only in how they are activated. I have HRWs in my 535, but they aren't coil-tapped.

The PSP III H555 Custom has HRW's split at the factory. Best sounding split 'buckers I've ever heard. That said, they sounded like split humbuckers - leaning towards the anemic side for me. Never found the split to be useful on stage. But the tone is pretty cool if you're just sitting around plinking. IMO, that is.

I had Pete Moreno wire my Millie with a push-pull pot so I could coil tap my humbuckers.

For me, I don't see much benefit. In single coil mode, it's pretty much the same tone, just a bit weaker. Maybe coil tapping works better for humbuckers that tend to get muddy with the tone rolled off, but HRWs are pretty much known for their clarity.

It doesn't hurt anything to coil tap, but I wouldn't bother if I had it to do over again.

Thanks, guys. I like the coil tapped 'faux Strat' tone on my Ibanez 2630 (Super 58 p'ups) for rhythm playing. I increase the volume a bit to compensate for the drop-off, and it cuts through the mix great.

When it's time for a solo, I flip the mini tri-switch back to full 'bucker, and unleash a wonderful thick tone.

This is basically the same goal I have in mind for my 555. It sounds like HRW's should be powerful enough to make it work in my application.

Archived