Heritage Owners Club

Red Plate Amplifiers

212Mavguy

It is a heavy amp also. I have been recently using my Princeton Reverb II simply because it is easier to cart around for an old guy. I use my Two Rock in the house, but now I'm thinking I ought to get the old Red Plate out and give it another shot. I always liked the sound of it. Good luck with yours, hope it works out!! Let me know what you think after you get it fired up.

NAD! It showed up, I stuck an Altec 417h II in it, swapped out a couple of microphonic preamp tubes, got the reverb working (bad tank to chassis connecting wire) and it freakin ROOOOOARED! This is by FAR the HUUUGEST sounding small sized amp that I have had the pleasure to play through. Sounds great at bedroom volume as well. Sustain in the cleans and harmonic detail are off the charts. Amazing value even at full retail brand new price. This one was already broken in and I got it at about 60 cents on the dollar. It's a heavy little thang, but the guts display a lifetime of the builder's accumulated knowledge. I was flabbergasted at the build quality everywhere. Cab is all solid wood and light, built to last. If the player has experience with playing through a Dumble style amp this one's giant sized feature set takes Howard Alexander Dumble's work to a couple levels above...Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal, period.

NAD! It showed up, I stuck an Altec 417h II in it, swapped out a couple of microphonic preamp tubes, got the reverb working (bad tank to chassis connecting wire) and it freakin ROOOOOARED! This is by FAR the HUUUGEST sounding small sized amp that I have had the pleasure to play through. Sounds great at bedroom volume as well. Sustain in the cleans and harmonic detail are off the charts. Amazing value even at full retail brand new price. This one was already broken in and I got it at about 60 cents on the dollar. It's a heavy little thang, but the guts display a lifetime of the builder's accumulated knowledge. I was flabbergasted at the build quality everywhere. Cab is all solid wood and light, built to last. If the player has experience with playing through a Dumble style amp this one's giant sized feature set takes Howard Alexander Dumble's work to a couple levels above...Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal, period.

Holy cow! Great review!

Very Nice!!!

Now I want ROOOOOAR too.

So I went to their site to check out their tone demos and every one that I was was done on a Fender with single coils. Are these amps going to sound good with humbuckers or are they optimized to sound good only with Strats and Teles? Which guitar are you using with this amp?

I use Humbuckers exclusively, there is a HB/SC switch on the back panel.

For pics, umm, how many posts of mine contain them? What does my avatar look like? Yep, am a jerk to some....

Please go to the company site, then you will drool more and hopefully end up knowing more about what they do. Most of their customers do know jack about what goes on behind the input jack, that is why they are so successful within their narrow, top end market niche. Their customers are very well informed players who don't like or desire "Store bought tone."

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!!!

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!!!

With that said, last night I did pull the trigger on a vintage silverface Fender Bantam Bass combo for under 375 bucks delivered on fleabay, with the weird Yamaha asymmetrical trapezoid shaped plastic cone speaker with alnico magnet. Has all the features of a Bassman, same front panel layout, choke filtered power supply, filter cap doghouse, nice iron, old school Fender eyelet board build, runs 6l6's for 30 watts instead of 50.

It's a 30 watt vintage BASSMAN!!

I get to use my really old stock coke bottle 6l6ga or 6l6gb/5881 glass if I want, or my fave 6l6 type, 6bg6ga with adapters. With a sheet of 1/4 to 1/2" ply attached to the back of the existing baffle board I can stick in a better, round shaped speaker, recap the filter section, stick in old stock tubes, do a complete recap, spend less and SQUASH any vintage Fender Musicmaster Bass el84 or 6v6 amp going for twice the auction market value like a mouse head caught in an old school Victor spring mouse trap.

Had to clean some dried brain blood off a pair of those traps gushed out from the two nights ago victims by soaking them in hot water, re cheese them and set them out again today before going to work. Colby Jack is the shizzle...

Archived