Heritage Owners Club

NGD My Holy Grail

Conneazoo

Thanks everyone. I apologize for being a tease, but it was fun while it lasted. :)

Thar she blows!!!!!

That is one awesome looking guitar! What kind of pickups are in it?

Why won't they do white anymore? Or is it that thing with the finish cracking around black binding?

TBone, it is sporting SD 59s, TonePros bridge/tailpiece, 50s wiring scheme, and Grover tuners.

While I don't have an answer for your white question, it's the, "no black binding", that truly caused my build to be shelved. The explanation I got had to do with the binding being of inferior quality which caused shrinking and cracking. Also that the black would try to seep into the finish around it.

While I don't have an answer for your white question, it's the, "no black binding", that truly caused my build to be shelved. The explanation I got had to do with the binding being of inferior quality which caused shrinking and cracking. Also that the black would try to seep into the finish around it.

As the owner of a Kahuna with black body binding, I can confirm those statements unfortunately. Finish is cracked all the way around the top of the guitar where it meets the binding.

Same supplier, claims nothing is different, but it is. That is the explanation I got at PSP a few years back when I had the kahuna with me.

Thanks for explaining the 'no black binding' thing. When I read it a couple weeks ago I thought it just sounded like somebody was in a mood. But as long as there is a fairly valid business reason that makes it easier to understand. For us maybe - not for you. Enjoy that beautiful substitute, and top-notch move Maestro!

No problem guys.

Sorry to hear that Tbone. It boggles my mind to hear things like that. Please don't take this as salting the wound, but the whale has been around for awhile and it doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms mentioned. Hmmmmmm...........

I threw a strap on it for the first time yesterday evening after initially playing while sitting down. I think it was Steiner that said it looked like it was resonating in the pictures. Well, I have NEVER been able to feel a chord in my shoulder before. I can with this guitar.

The Kahuna is an X serial number from 2007. It wasn't a consistent thing if I recall, which is probably why they figured better to just not do black binding than worry about the cracks forming a few months after a dealer gets it. I still love that guitar. It's currently getting that ugly finish "repair" I paid someone to do years ago "re-repaired" by a top class guy.

Archived