Heritage Owners Club

Speaker recommendations

I built an amp based on the champ platform. I have had it for several years, and I like the way it sounds through my 2x12 cab. I don't however like to move the head and the cab, plus I can't lean the set back. I thought I might have a 2x10 combo cab made for it, so it would be grab and go.

The amp as I said is built on a champ platform. It does have some upgrades. When I built her KBP810 helped me alter it just a little. First off the transformers were upgraded to larger capacity. The tube socket was wired to accept 6v6, 6l6, or el34.

It is cathode biased with a tube rectifier and a 12ax7 preamp tube. The amp is built point to point on a board with upgrades components, cloth wire, better caps, silver solder, etc.

I like it best with a JJ big bottle 6l6. And a 12at7. Has a blackface feel. It produces about 12 watts.

I want to go with two 10" speakers.

But what 2 ?

Green backs, Jensens, eminence, weber?

Ceramic, alnico?

Two 15watt, two 25 watt?

What do you kids think?

I've generally been partial to ceramic speakers, but it depends SO much on the model. Rivera has a few comparisons of different speakers (most are 12" comparisons) and the differences in each speaker has to be 100 times greater than what you would hear by changing the tone caps, pots, strings, picks or just about anything in the signal chain.

If Eminence makes a 10 inch "Texas Heat" I'd get that. I have one in my HRD and it makes it much better but it's 1x12.

Tough problem... if I were in your shoes I'd try to get a listen or just pick up a pair of reconed 10's that were original equipment in the brown or black faced 2/10 Fender amps. CTS and Jensen come to mind as affordable via eBay, will likely take some time to scrounge them up. . If you want to go boutique there are some low wattage Tone Tubby 10's that are very, very nice.

Big Bob~ I had a similar quest a couple of years ago for my Champ rigs. I found an old '60's Epiphone ext. cab loaded with two great sounding CTS AlNico 10's. They originally were made by Gibson/Epiphone for the Epi Maxima EA-600 100 watt amp.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Maxima_EA-600

My '70's Silverface 4ohm Vibro Champ sounds great through it. Used CTS Alnico's seem to come up on Ebay quite often.

Is yours 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

iPtllo.jpg

I've got a pair of Celestion Tube 10 speakers (8 ohm), and/or a pair of Jensen C10Rs (8 ohm). I would willing to send them to you to try out when you are ready.

Silverbeard

Big Bob~ I had a similar quest a couple of years ago for my Champ rigs. I found an old '60's Epiphone ext. cab loaded with two great sounding CTS AlNico 10's. They originally were made by Gibson/Epiphone for the Epi Maxima EA-600 100 watt amp.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Maxima_EA-600

My '70's Silverface 4ohm Vibro Champ sounds great through it. Used CTS Alnico's seem to come up on Ebay quite often.

Is yours 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

iPtllo.jpg

It can be set at 4, 8, or 16 ohm. I'm leaning towards 16.

I've noticed through my research that a lot of the boutique guys like Carr are mating 8, 10, 12 watt amps with high effencenty high watt ceramic speakers like the eminence Texas heat (65 watt) or ragun Cajun (75 watt).

My understanding, which admittedly is limited, is that a higher watt capacity requires a larger voice coil and as such has more bottom end and is louder.

I can't imagine I would get any speaker breakup with a 12 watt amp through 2, 75 watt speakers.

It has got me thinking about the differences between high watt high effencenty and low watt low effencenty. Gregg has suggested I consider mixing a 25 watt celestian greenback with a lower watt (12/15) alnico like a Jensen.

I don't think I can really go too wrong...

My understanding, which admittedly is limited, is that a higher watt capacity requires a larger voice coil and as such has more bottom end and is louder.

I can't imagine I would get any speaker breakup with a 12 watt amp through 2, 75 watt speakers.

It has got me thinking about the differences between high watt high effencenty and low watt low effencenty. Gregg has suggested I consider mixing a 25 watt celestian greenback with a lower watt (12/15) alnico like a Jensen.

I don't think I can really go too wrong...

I'd try to pair speakers that produce similar volume rather than worry too much about max wattage ratings.

I always found Joe Walsh's viewpoint on using a Champ with an 8" speaker for Funk 49. He liked the responsiveness of that small speaker in that amp.

I've got a pair of Celestion Tube 10 speakers (8 ohm), and/or a pair of Jensen C10Rs (8 ohm). I would willing to send them to you to try out when you are ready.

Silverbeard

That's a generous offer, I might just take you up on that.

Placed the order last night. I decided to go with one alnico, a weber blue pup, and one ceramic, a weber silver ten. Both are rated at 30 watts. I'm hoping to have the finished product at PSP.

Peace!

Archived