Heritage Owners Club

The Frill(s) is Gone

DavesNotHere

Actually there were never any frills on this baby.

About a month ago I found myself in a situation where I had to stay awake all night. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or the events that led to the lack of sleep that led to me bidding on this H-120. Well, for a maximum bid of $352 I thought I could get a Heritage on which I could hone my nonexistent luthier skills. I had planned a complete rebuild, strip the finish, replace the hardware, bone nut, etc. etc.

Can you guess the factory color? I couldn't. I thought it was some variant of baby diaper yellow,

It has a sweet three piece maple neck, and the original Bill Lawrence pickup. The original 300k volume pot was a bit more than sticky but she sounded great, a bit harsh on the high end at high volumes, but a real rock and roll machine. It's a bit of a one trick pony, but it's one hell of a trick.

I replaced the volume pot with a 500k Bournes and that seemed to smooth it out a bit.

DSCF7799_zpsw42v8zzf.jpg

DSCF7798_zpswvzw3od4.jpg

DSCF7860_zpsqnln4boh.jpg

DSCF7856_zpsq4rt41ug.jpg

DSCF7865_zpsqhhetyrz.jpg

DSCF7820_zpstlfhef8p.jpg

I was ready to start the refinish until I saw this...

DSCF7800_zpszn8tg1x8.jpg

Once I realized she had been so naturally reliced I decided to just fix what needed to be fixed and play her as she is.

DSCF7864_zpsgelzwfjq.jpg

NICE C '86 guitar! With the bolt on neck, she'd be a (relatively) easy refinish. Who knows, perhaps a solid piece of gorgeous mahogany lay beneath that paint. Oh what fun you could have!

Congrats!

With the neck removed, you could route two more pickups and have a great white whale. :)

I've got a '87 Black H120. It's by far my most played Heritage. It's gone through several pick up swaps now thanks to HOC member "davesultra" I have an original pick up. It's been with me a long time and hopefully will be with me for a long time to come.

Archived