Heritage Owners Club

535 Neck-How does it feel?

Jazzpunk

Greetings all,

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 535 (most likely sight unseen) and was just wondering how you guys would describe the neck? The reason I ask is because I played a couple of 335's today but ended up liking the feel of a Sheraton Elitist better!  ??? The Elitist was pretty sweet but I wasn't too fond of the mini humbuckers.

Is the 535 neck on the thin or fat side? How would you describe the feel ( I know this is subjective but still curious to get feedback)? Any thoughts on how it compares to a 335 in terms of playability?

Again, I know this is highly subjective but I would still appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

the ones i have played have been close to a 60s slim taper....usually they are not too fat

I own a 535 and I have to agree with Brent on this.  I have owned several 335's and like guitars.....I never seemed to keep them very long.  With that said,  I like the 535's neck, playability, and overall tone to be the best for me.

JMHO

Jim C

The thing to do is find a good dealer with more than one and try before you buy.

Agreed. I went down to one of the sdealers listed on the Heritage website yesterday to check them out in person but they no longer carry Heritage guitars (website update needed perhaps?).

I own a 535 and I have to agree with Brent on this.  I have owned several 335's and like guitars.....I never seemed to keep them very long.  With that said,  I like the 535's neck, playability, and overall tone to be the best for me.

JMHO

Jim C

Cool, thanks for the review Jim.

I ordered mine with super fat 50s style necks, so fatter necks are definitely an option  :afro: (thank goodness) :angel:

Kuz,

What's the finish on the 555?

OSB  Old Style Burst (I believe it is. If it is a different color I'll tag you back)

John, that's what you told me back a bit. My fav color, btw.

So many Heritage guitars, so many different colors, so hard to remember....  :P >:D ;D

The neck of a 535 feels excellent. I've compared it to a 335 and found little difference. Actually I think the difference between a good neck and a good neck is very small  :wink: and you just need some time to become friends with any new piece of wood. But trust us HOC members: if those necks left anything to desire we would have written about it.

The neck of a 535 feels excellent. I've compared it to a 335 and found little difference. Actually I think the difference between a good neck and a good neck is very small  :wink: and you just need some time to become friends with any new piece of wood. But trust us HOC members: if those necks left anything to desire we would have written about it.

Very realistic, practical, and common sense post. Karma Up!

Hi Jazzpunk,

I also had to buy my Heritage 535 unseen, however I like the neck a lot. Not too thin, not too deep.  It is not as thin as the neck on my Ibanez AS80 335 clone, but less thick than any Epiphone I have played.  I find it very comfortable to play for long periods of time.

I also have a H575 which has a much thicker neck, more like a 60's Les Paul, and better suited to the chord melodies I learn to play on it. 

All I can say is that the necks on my 2 Heritage guitars suit each particular guitar very well and that ergonomically, they produce far less fatigue in my fretting hand than a flatter radius like the Ibanez semi, way nicer to play than a modern very flat neck guitar (like a Godin signature I had) which actually hurt to play for any length of time.

It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I know which guitars suit me well and now I have 3 guitars that are perfect for me, there are in order, Heritage H575, H535 and an American Standard Stratocaster. That's all I need now, and probably all I'll ever need, in the way of electric guitars.

Good luck with the purchase, Ren at Heritage was very helpful to me when I asked questions so that I could verify details of my Heritage guitars, both of which I bought secondhand from interstate.

All the best,

Z

At the nut my H-535 measures out at 1 11/16 (V-caliper). That's pretty much a standard dimension. G&L's are narrower 1 5/8.  I personally don't care for too narrow of a neck, slows me down. Most of my special (custom built guitars) are 1 3/4 but I have a fairly large hand (I'm 6'2").  The depth of the neck and contour are nice as well. If a neck is too thin (depth-wise) and your hand will cramp if you play a lot of barre chords. If the neck is too fat, it'll feel like you are trying to play a baseball bat and get tired quickly.

I can play my H-535 guitar for hours comfortably. I am pretty picky about guitar necks. If they aren't good, the whole guitar is junk to me.  That is, If I can't play it, I won't own it!  I had to buy my Heritage sight unseen also, but I knew the neck dimensions before I bought it and knew it didn't have any issues (thanks to the way they build them).  The other guitar player in my band has short, fat sausage, fingers compared to mine and he can also comfortably play my Heritage (when I let him  :police:)

Archived