Heritage Owners Club

Flame Tops an Upcharge? another newbie question

emilio

The standard Maple top on Heritages is fairly spectacular, as is. Albeit most of those are somewhere between quilt and flame. They do offer a premium upgrade, tho'. When I was ordering my Millie last Fall the upcharge was about $200 for ultra tops. If that helps.

When I ordered my 535 I was told that I could get a figured wood upgrade for 200$.

As I was trying to limit the total cost I passed.  My guitar has zero flame, curl, quilt

or anything else.  I wondered how they could get away with saying on their website

that the guitar is made from curly maple.  And what's the point of a transparent finish

if there's nothing to show through ?

The inside, however, has got fantastic figure.  I think you have to pay them 200$ so

they'll flip the wood around.

Having said that (and I'll now quit complaining for good, I swear) I have come to really

like the plain wood of my guitar.  So much so that I'm a bit turned off when I see the

dazzling figure on some guitars.  I think sometimes there can be too much.

If you want a fancy top I suggest you make sure by paying for it.  Otherwise there's

no telling what you'll get.

When I ordered my 535 I was told that I could get a figured wood upgrade for 200$.

As I was trying to limit the total cost I passed.  My guitar has zero flame, curl, quilt

or anything else.  I wondered how they could get away with saying on their website

that the guitar is made from curly maple.  And what's the point of a transparent finish

if there's nothing to show through ?

The inside, however, has got fantastic figure.  I think you have to pay them 200$ so

they'll flip the wood around.

Having said that (and I'll now quit complaining for good, I swear) I have come to really

like the plain wood of my guitar.  So much so that I'm a bit turned off when I see the

dazzling figure on some guitars.  I think sometimes there can be too much.

If you want a fancy top I suggest you make sure by paying for it.  Otherwise there's

no telling what you'll get.

I'm with you Paul!  Being a strong advocate of Spruce tops, I find many flame tops obtrusive.  There's a simple beauty to a clear piece of wood.

I don't think that the ES guitars are plain, my H555 has a great top, back sides and inside as well.  It was a custom order for an artist so I don't know if there was an upcharge, but I don't think it could be more figured than it is.

width=360 height=480http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/wingnut318/Heritage%20H-555/IMG_1000.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=480http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/wingnut318/Heritage%20H-555/IMG_1005.jpg[/img]

Wingnut that is a beautiful Heritage with definitely the premium wood upgrade.

Heritage doesn't designate the tops like PRS (10 tops), but you can definitely tell the difference with an upgraded top!!! 8)

thanks for the responses, it clears up the question, very well.  I think an additional $200 is very reasonable for an upcharge, for anyone wanting a flamie top on their guitar.  Will definately consider it if and when I decide to order new, regards, emilio

Archived