Heritage Owners Club

VHT D-Fifty

I was in a local shop the other day, and they had a used VHT D-Fifty for sale.    They didn't have a cab with it, and it's not a great place to try out an amp anyway.   I considered taking it home to try out, but the store policy has a significant "restocking fee" which makes that an unworkable prospect.

I was curious if any of you have played with one.   They are hand wired, and are supposed to based on the "183" Dumble circuit.   

It's not that I need the amp, but I've got my DSL401 and Peavey Classic 30 as my crunch amps, and just wondered if the D-50 might fit better.   Maybe I could work out a trade with the DSL to make it worthwhile. 

Any opinions on this one?

8 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I was in a local shop the other day, and they had a used VHT D-Fifty for sale.    They didn't have a cab with it, and it's not a great place to try out an amp anyway.   I considered taking it home to try out, but the store policy has a significant "restocking fee" which makes that an unworkable prospect.

I was curious if any of you have played with one.   They are hand wired, and are supposed to based on the "183" Dumble circuit.   

It's not that I need the amp, but I've got my DSL401 and Peavey Classic 30 as my crunch amps, and just wondered if the D-50 might fit better.   Maybe I could work out a trade with the DSL to make it worthwhile. 

Any opinions on this one?

This is the first I've heard of a (relatively) large amp manufacturer coping a Dumble amp.  I believe Two-Rock does it, but aren't they smaller than VHT?  On the surgace it sounds cool.  Who is designing for VHT these days since Fryette sold it?

I have no clue who did the work on it.   These things came out about 3 years ago.   There is only one dealer locally who carry VHT amps, and this is usually not one on the floor.   He mostly has the 6 Watt amps.

I've always been intrigued by the Dumble sound, and there are several companies making closes of various versions,   Louis Electric,  Ceriatone, Two Rock,  Fuchs, Marsh come to mind.   They all tend to run in the $1500 to 3000+ range, and for the few times that I use an amp out,  it's not worth it to me to spend that kind of money.   It's more of a curiosity thing.... 

I've a guitar buddy with a Two-Rock; beautiful amp, it even has a gain stage worthy of its pedigree.  I'm familiar with Ceriatone, the others have escaped my review.  I've owned a VHT Pitbull and still have the Classic (both Fryette designed).  My experience with VHT is a positive one but dates before the company was sold.

There are many Dumble designs on the interwebs.  Some, I've been told are quite good.  The secret is not that secret.  IF the company (VHT) has maintained the previous owner's integrity, I'd assume they have something there.

Your mission, should you decide to accept, is to let us know how well behaved the little beast is.

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't happen... yet.     It's still there in the shop.

Right now, I'm trying to decide if I need this:

VHT.jpg.34b7e1927c632a55a6eb675b234e3aac.jpg    or this.stove.jpg.1c7b0b4a905dc564755a266f5aeede5f.jpg

The old Avocado green stove in the kitchen is showing some signs of age at about 60 yrs old.   The fan motor on the hood has gone bad, and one burner no longer works.   It MIGHT be time to update.

Then again,  it is "vintage" so maybe I could put it on Craigslist for sell it for big money!  (has avocado green come back into style yet?)

Archived