Heritage Owners Club

It must be very frustrating to work at Heritage

skydog

I constantly see ads for G guitars from the 70's w/ pancake bodies, 3pc. tops and/or backs, so-so pickups, etc. and they are going for 2X the far superior Heritage guitar. This has to be frustrating. Especially since the top dogs in Kalamazoo know exactly what wood went into building those 70's Norlins. Now, I'm not knocking Norlin, but let's face it, there aren't many G's that came out the door better than the recent offerings from Heritage.

I'd be frustrated because I'd want to take most of the guitars I made home with me. Then, I'd always want to build a custom guitar just for me! And another...and another...it'd never stop!

I would expect that the Heritage folks see it as a good opportunity.

Personally, I sort of understand it.  It's not as though everything Norlin made was crap.  In fact, I'd wager that, apart from cosmetic issues, the average Norlin Les Paul plays better than almost any production Gibson you could get today and sounds like a real nasty Les Paul, not some mid-rangey thing with a bunch of holes cut out of it.

That said, I think the rise in prices for Norlin guitars is akin to the housing bubble--it's going to crash hard.  Norlin pumped out those guitars in the '70s like they were Chevrolets, so they're hardly rare.  And most of them I see today show all the signs of having been played very hard for 30+ years.

The "Norlin bubble" effectively means that Heritage has no real competition for a buyer who appreciates value.  The key is getting the Heritage into someone's hands so they can understand that.

I had two Norlin guitars--1976 and '81 Les Paul Customs.  Both were fantastic guitars, especially the '81.  But my '76 natural finish Custom with three pickups with a stunner that I stupidly sold away while I was in college.  I didn't notice at the time if it was a laminate and frankly didn't give a rip.  It was for playing, not ogling.  Before I got my 157 last year, I was scanning eBay for Norlin LPCs, and saw a '77 three-pickup natural that was almost identical to my old guitar, except that it was beat to hell.  I wanted to bid, but it ended up going for over $3,000(!).  The next day, I pulled the trigger on my brand-new 157 and have been one very satisfied customer.

I have noticed lots of overpriced Norlins on eBay not getting any bids, lately.  Perhaps the mania is subsiding...

I think the guys have fairly well come to terms with the past G guitars. When I brought it up to Marv he just shrugged and said they built them like they were told. What he mentioned that does kinda mess with him is that he could have bought the late 50s LPs all day long for wholesale. But "who knew"??

BTW, my '70s Les Paul , uh boat anchor, uh '74LPC is a rockin' machine. Heavy as all get out, but sustains for days and is ballsy as hell. Of course, that is after the pup swap and refret.  :angel:

I have to tell you all, the recent newer Gibson's guitars I bought are awesome guitars!  335, SG, LP R7 and Firebird.

10 Hail Heritages for that blasphemy!  :angel:

Gibson can make good stuff, but I believe the quality of Heritage and other makers have forced them to get better.  Now if they could only match Heritage's quality AND lower price point value...  8)

I'd be frustrated because I'd want to take most of the guitars I made home with me. Then, I'd always want to build a custom guitar just for me! And another...and another...it'd never stop!

I'm with Thundersteel.  I'd have too many problems making guitars for ME!! Let alone for other people.  It would be too hard to resist. >:D

I have to tell you all, the recent newer Gibson's guitars I bought are awesome guitars!  335, SG, LP R7 and Firebird.

Just curious (not flaming you), Why didn't you go with the corresponding Heritage models 535 and a 150? You know about Heritage guitars but seem to be selling them off recently.

Again, this question is in total seriousness and sincerity. Why did you go for mass produced (and probably more expensive) Gibbys over Heritage?

Thanks for your feedback.

It must also be wonderfull to work at Heritage.

How many consumers groups of any product find it a privilege to chip in for a jacket and trophy to salute a retiring owner.

Very true.  Most guys at the top of any company today have people ready to chip in..... to buy a rope to string them up with.    The guys at Heritage have been hard working and honest throughout their careers and deserve all the best wishes we can give them.

Kuz, I simply wanted to try some different guitars out.  It started out by me wanting an SG type guitar, since Heritage does not make one, I purchased a used 61' reissue SG. VOS.  Awesome guiatar, tone, feel and vibe.  I did buy it used at a great price.  I was very reluctant to buy a Gibson, never having owned one before.  I was blown away by the quality of this instrument.  Next, I decided to get a used Les Paul, R7, gold top, vos.  Was blown away again!  Then came an 335 and Firebird.  I bought all of these Gibson used, in mint shape.  I am not knocking Heritage guitars in ANY way! We all know they are excellent guitars, heck, I am from Michigan!!  But, I have to give props to my Gibsons! :)

Kuz, I simply wanted to try some different guitars out.  It started out by me wanting an SG type guitar, since Heritage does not make one, I purchased a used 61' reissue SG. VOS.  Awesome guiatar, tone, feel and vibe.  I did buy it used at a great price.  I was very reluctant to buy a Gibson, never having owned one before.  I was blown away by the quality of this instrument.  Next, I decided to get a used Les Paul, R7, gold top, vos.  Was blown away again!  Then came an 335 and Firebird.  I bought all of these Gibson used, in mint shape.  I am not knocking Heritage guitars in ANY way! We all know they are excellent guitars, heck, I am from Michigan!!  But, I have to give props to my Gibsons! :)

Fair enough. Karma up for your honesty!

Archived