Heritage Owners Club

2011 H-535 specs

I recently purchased a 2011 H-535 and was wanting to know the components that were used. Pots, caps, 3-way switch, jack, and fret wire. Thanks for any help.

Congrats! Others will answer your questions! 

I think the fret wire is standard Jesco stuff.  It's pretty much used industry wide, unless you go with stainless.  I don't remember the number, though.

The caps in most Heritages are Vishay MKT metalized film.   They are yellow axial capacitors and are good caps.   The pots can vary over the years, depending on availability. They use standard audio taper pots.   

I have tried changing pots and to be honest,  sonically there was no change.   I had one that was scratchy, so I replaced all 4 with CTS pots.   The only difference was in the feel, as I used low torque CTS with a 15% taper which changes the rate of volume change as you turn the knob.   They also made it easier to turn, which might be good or bad, depending on your style.  

Wire is wire...  You can get nice cloth covered vintage style wire, but it won't change the sound.   It's pretty and if you want it to look like 1959, then go for it.  

Jacks and switches are pretty much generic.   If they are clean and work, they're good.  If they get dirty and noisy,  or cut out, then change them out.  I've used Switchcraft and cheapos from China and as long as they are quiet and solid,  they're fine.

Depending on how you like to roll off volume,  I added a treble bleed to my 157 for a while.   I liked it's effect more than 50s wiring or standard wiring.  

Here's my 157 control cavity with treble bleeds and the stock pots and caps.   As I had changed a noisy switch,  I changed the cable running up to the switch with a shielded cable. (the grey stuff).

H157controls.jpg.be50c9a0bd0f0c2caf8b965e6813c76a.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, TalismanRich said:

I think the fret wire is standard Jesco stuff.  It's pretty much used industry wide, unless you go with stainless.  I don't remember the number, though.

The caps in most Heritages are Vishay MKT metalized film.   They are yellow axial capacitors and are good caps.   The pots can vary over the years, depending on availability. They use standard audio taper pots.   

I have tried changing pots and to be honest,  sonically there was no change.   I had one that was scratchy, so I replaced all 4 with CTS pots.   The only difference was in the feel, as I used low torque CTS with a 15% taper which changes the rate of volume change as you turn the knob.   They also made it easier to turn, which might be good or bad, depending on your style.  

Wire is wire...  You can get nice cloth covered vintage style wire, but it won't change the sound.   It's pretty and if you want it to look like 1959, then go for it.  

Jacks and switches are pretty much generic.   If they are clean and work, they're good.  If they get dirty and noisy,  or cut out, then change them out.  I've used Switchcraft and cheapos from China and as long as they are quiet and solid,  they're fine.

Depending on how you like to roll off volume,  I added a treble bleed to my 157 for a while.   I liked it's effect more than 50s wiring or standard wiring.  

Here's my 157 control cavity with treble bleeds and the stock pots and caps.   As I had changed a noisy switch,  I changed the cable running up to the switch with a shielded cable. (the grey stuff).

H157controls.jpg.be50c9a0bd0f0c2caf8b965e6813c76a.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I've used treble bleeds in the past on Les Paul's with good success, I may need to think about that on this one. I like the taper on the pots they used work just fine. This guitar was in the case for most of it's life so the pots were scratchy and the 3-way was nearly stuck in place. Contact cleaner resolve those issues. The guitar it's self has a smoky smell to it. Any idea how to address that? The case is easy I've had it in the sun for the last two weeks and the smell is all but gone. I appreciate. it.