Heritage Owners Club

Heritage's doors are closed indefinitely?

Dick Seacup

I am reasonably confident that Heritage isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon.  They do have something special and I'm willing to bet that they not only know that, they want to continue delivering guitars with such a unique (dare I say it?) heritage.  I had sent an email to Ren earlier this week asking about EMG pickups (gasp!  A, a, a....Heritage shredder?!?!) in an old model.  He got back to me that afternoon, IIRC, so it's not like they're all MIA. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year backlog on orders?  This is a problem that every company ever founded would kill to have!  Heritage is not going away. I hope they continue with their small company  "hand built"  legacy!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving, I ordered a custom lefty H-137 in January and it's ready to ship from Jay's shop in Florida.

Reports of their demise are premature, for sure.

BUT, having said that, if you've got The One in mind, don't wait too long to get an order in . . . NOTHING lasts forever.

2 cents:

Someone has been manufacturing guitars at 225 Parsons since 1907! The idea that all of a sudden, the doors are gonna close strikes me as beyond preposterous. J.P., Jim, and Marvin & Co. bought that place and the equipment housed there because they saw the writing on the wall; that building and the history of luthiery inside it represent the Holy Grail of guitar manufacturing, and to let it become a sofa factory or storage unit would be nigh unto a crime. So, if they went to all the trouble to buy the place in 1984 (and I'm sure it was a nail-biting experience for all involved), why would they let it go now?

We're all here because we know "The Heritage" to put out the finest production guitars in the world. Obviously we're not alone. So now the boys at Kalamazoo have to refine their production to meet demand. This by no means spells the end for them. If anything, it's only the beginning. Even Benedetto has had to restructure more than once, and no one is worried about him and his it seems. So let it be said: The Heritage is a lasting institution, I'm sure of it. In the interim, while they go through their growing pains, let's all bask in the glory of our beautiful instruments and be glad that we're not the ones that have to wait a year to lay our hands on one. Well, those of us that have them already. And as a side note, this lul could drive up the price of used Heritage's, so, anyone who's got an "extra" layin' around might do well to put it out there for a premium. Just a thought.

Is anyone else besides me worried?  Jay Wolfe said  he would let us know when decisions have been made and that was several weeks ago. There has been nothing said recently and in my last email exchange with Jay less than a week and a half ago he said that he was not receiving any new guitars from Heritage.  I asked him in an email why that was happening and "why" if there were only informational meetings going on about the future of the company that there certainly had to be guitars being manufactured by the other employees that were still working and that they had to be shipping guitars unless they had shut down.  Jay hasn't responded to my email.  I think there is something going on that we haven't been told. Jay said that there have been people stepping forward to buy the company. What has happened to Jim, JP, Marv, and Bill?  This smells bad and I think each of us should put our hand built Heritages back for investment.  How about it Jay?  This owners club hasn't heard from you for quite a while.

I hear you sweet tooth!  A few weeks ago a buddy said that Heritage guitars were "still" being built by the finest craftsmen in the US.  Amen. 

On the other hand there has to be new blood.  I am sure that some young people are there who can build a 2007 H-137 just as well as "the Fathers" built a 58 Les Paul Jr.  I also believe that a 2056 H-137 will be just as true to form.  I don't think the owners are going to do the wrong thing.  They haven't yet.  They stuck with their craft in the first place instead of compromising.  The longer it takes the better deal we will get out of this. 

God Lord people it isn't like we are going down with the Third Reich or something.  Heritage has it's feces consolidated.  Let's give them some time. 

Update:  Jay Wolfe was arrested sitting outside the Heritage factory in a commo truck eavesdropping on the factory tour.  Apparently the Homeland Security people mistook his sweat towel for a turban.  He will be alright.    :-X

I just heard from Ren.  I have one on order and want to know the status.  He said that they will hopefully be starting working again in 2-3 weeks.

Funny though, I've been asking for the status of the guitar for over a month (I want to make a change or two) and cannot get an answer.  I don't think it would be too hard to get that information, but whatever.

I wouldn't be too worried, but I wouldn't hold your breath either.  :)

Hmmm...I wonder who they are in negotiations with to assume ownership of the old Gibson-turned-Heritage factory?!

It had better not be Fender!!!!  :o  Look what happened to Guild after they bought it--now most of their guitars are made in China, and the Bluesbird (great guitar, by the way) is no longer being manufactured.

I guess I need to buy that H150 I have been wanting before it is too late!

frankly im a bit pissed upon reading this report about the company changing hands. only because i now realize that the delay in my guitar was NOT for the sake of proper build and execution nor circumstance of conditions in the factory but actually stuck due to bureaucracy within the company.

i'm sure one might offer owning an investment worthy prechangeover instrument as a silver lining statement but i'm not buying this guitar to eventually sell.

i'm buying this guitar to sweat on every night...

Well, I'm a very distant relation so to speak, but I would not recommend drawing conclusions like yours, Uncle, based on rumours. You speak of a 'report', but there's no literal, official report - is there?

Also you presume a cause and effect (sorry, if I write bad English grammar being not a native spreaker) in the case of the delay in building your future guitar. Is the effect undeniably a result of just this cause?

No offence, dude, but you're goin' pretty fast here.

Any other bro' got comments on this here Uncle Deluxe Meat's conclusions? I mean, I could be totally wrong too.

Jay Wolfe told me very recently that Lane did not have the resources (cash) to purchase the company by himself. He does however seem to be one of the investors seeking to form a partnership.  This seems to be a case of the owners failing to form and implement a succession plan.  My own opinion is that they should have been training a younger group of craftsmen that could eventually purchase the company from the founders.  If Parsons Street closes and the manufacturing moves to a "new" location it will be a very sad day. Investors are notorious for wanting profit at the expense of quality and have no regard for the "Heritage" and traditions of the company they purchase.

I'm not looking forward to this. I had hopes of having this guitar in my hands by now and establishing enough of a raport w/ this custom roy clark that i would be placing my second order by now for my backup/alternate. Theres no guarantee that i will have a guitar of the same quality nor the flexibilty to have certain custom options on the second.

frankly im a bit pissed upon reading this report about the company changing hands. only because i now realize that the delay in my guitar was NOT for the sake of proper build and execution nor circumstance of conditions in the factory but actually stuck due to bureaucracy within the company.

i'm sure one might offer owning an investment worthy prechangeover instrument as a silver lining statement but i'm not buying this guitar to eventually sell.

i'm buying this guitar to sweat on every night...

Those guys can't go on forever for Christs sake.  People get old, it's a fact of life.  Hell, one of them (I'm too lazy to go look who) started with the G word in 1956, that's 41 years ago!  Do the math.  These guys have got to retire someday - let's hope they can train up some young bucks to cary on the Heritage.

Well, it turns out you're right about the bad news which is very bad news indeed :'( And right about being pissed off too!

Soon we all will be grumpy old men in our club, dedicated to a guitar that does not exist any longer....

Well I'm being optomistic about this.  I would like to think that the new owner(s) will breathe some new life into Heritage and things might actually get better.  I love Heritage guitars, and the Heritage that they represent, but as I mentioned in another post I still feel there is room for improvement.  I would like to think the Marv and Jim and Bill and J.P. and all are going to be picky about who they sell to so that the Heritage will continue in the hands of a guitar enthusiast and not just an investor.

I'm one of those guys that have owned multiple Heritage guitars and currently have a Sweet 16.  I had a bumbled order that was being re-worked (initially placed in February 2006) and have no status on the guitar.  Gee thanks, Heritage.  I hope I CAN get my deposit back cause the dealer won't give it back apparently after our conversation today.  Just needed to vent.  I am so pissed at this whole thing.

Archived