Heritage Owners Club

following a summer of negotiations and...

skydog

blah, blah, blah.  This is the age of the internet. You'd think with the influx of "new money" at Heritage that one of the first priorities would be a state of the art website. Heritage's has always been an embarrassment.  It would take no more than a week to develop and is relatively cheap advertising. It almost seems like they're afraid of success. C'mon guys get with it!

Anybody  here with HTML experience? (and of course the time ). Maybe as a group we ought to approach Heritage and set up a page they could look at and if they like it, the site could replace what they have now on their existing domain.

Whoever is the designated designer/builder could provide a link to the beta page. Everybody here could watch the progress and offer input on the site design and tweaks could then follow.

It would sort of work like that SD pickup that was developed by the input of the members of their forum.

Just an idea.

Seems to me they're probably addressing the most immediate problems... the current year-long backlog and the internal methods of workflow.  No use

getting new business (via a sharp new website) until you can handle it. I'd guess the days of making 1200 guitars a year will soon be coming to and end...

they're going to have to increase production capability to accomodate demand.

My guess would be that they are working on the website and will launch the new one in January or February, once the have the reorganization complete and they make their return to NAMM.

But I think we have to be cautious about our expectations.  While I really, really hope Heritage can rebound effectively, it's worth keeping in mind that the new partner is a lawyer, not an experienced musical instrument industry professional.  We'll just have to see what happens, and there may be a stumble or two along the way.  I can't imagine they won't address the web page very soon.  But if they don't, we'll already know something about the reorganization and its potential for success.

But I think we have to be cautious about our expectations.  While I really, really hope Heritage can rebound effectively, it's worth keeping in mind that the new partner is a lawyer, not an experienced musical instrument industry professional.  We'll just have to see what happens, and there may be a stumble or two along the way.  I can't imagine they won't address the web page very soon.  But if they don't, we'll already know something about the reorganization and its potential for success.

+1 my thoughts exactly. I hope nothing but the best for Heritage (heck I've got 4 of them) but with the many problems I have encountered with them since the "reorganization" (ie guitar shipped with wrong color, wrong Pups, can't find an invoice, ect.) I doubt any real change will occur. Then customers will get fed up and then the downward spiral. It's a shame that with just some organization, slight modernization (ie get a computer, descent voice mail system, update the web site, and a full time receptionist) and common sense business skills, Heritage could really compete & thrive!

I'd say give it a year or so for all of their corporate priorities to get shaken out.  But they do need to immediately focus on the QC of each and every instrument that leaves the factory now that the guitar world is watching their rebound.

Like everyone, I too hope that Heritage can continue as a maker, but it will indeed depend on all the provisos that others have mentioned. The fact that the new partner is a lawyer could be a concern, but then again Ted McCarty was not really a musician, nor was Leo Fender. The key is certainly to seek input from musicians, and then to deliver the goods. We all know what happened to two well-known companies in the 70s and 80s, when the focus was changed to increased output at the expense of product quality. While I can empathize with those who currently have pending orders with Heritage, I hope that their fundamental philosphy will not be purely bent on production quantities but rather on handcrafting guitars of heirloom quality that musicians genuinely love to play. Cheers. :)

While I agree with most of the above comments, the point I was trying to make was that an updated website (done outside the company, not tying up resources of the company) would do wonders to boost the company image. A lot of people like to see their potential purchase in the color they want. Not download a pdf catalog! Heritage has a lot of potential. They have one of the most illustrious histories in the business. A website designed to showcase the products and brag on their history a little bit should be the first step. A lot of companies wish that their major problem was a backlog of orders! (the one I work for included). I just don't think the public will continue to be patient much longer.

While I agree with most of the above comments, the point I was trying to make was that an updated website (done outside the company, not tying up resources of the company) would do wonders to boost the company image. A lot of people like to see their potential purchase in the color they want. Not download a pdf catalog! Heritage has a lot of potential. They have one of the most illustrious histories in the business. A website designed to showcase the products and brag on their history a little bit should be the first step. A lot of companies wish that their major problem was a backlog of orders! (the one I work for included). I just don't think the public will continue to be patient much longer.

skydog,

I know my original reply to your initial post on this thread may seem like a pipe dream, but I agree in this day and age, a really nice website is what they need. I mean if they wanted to keep it completely old school, I guess they wouldn't have a website at all. But since they DO have one, they really are cheating themselves with the current state it is in.

I realize that maintaining a website can be a time consuming effort as previously stated. And it would take a skillful webmaster to implement the kind of bell and whistles that a custom shop could use.

One thing that would be nice would be something I have seen on a few sites-hell even Peavey has it on their custom shop webpage and that would be an interface where you can build a virtual model of the guitar.

Here is the link to the Peavey site: http://www.peavey.com/products/custom.cfm

Wouldn't it be nice to "build" your dream guitar and also help them out because they would have an electronic record as well as a picture printout of what you wanted.

Peavey actually has a pretty slick site and I don't think this slick style would suit Heritage. A more retro look I think would be befitting with photos of the Heritage gang back in the day and now, the legendary guitars of yesterday and the future legends they create today. I know John stated that many of these guys are retiring, but reminding the public of their history and the tradition of Heritage would really underscore the vision they followed through with 20 some odd years ago.

It amazes me how many folks never heard of Heritage that really should have by now.

As far as what the site needs are also some high res photos of there current lineup. That current list is lame in that what is the point of listing guitars that have been discontinued. They should be mentioned on a different link- something like "Past Legacies" .

Even if no one from this forum has the skills or the time to put something together, it doesn't mean that folks here still couldn't offer input. They could even have a forum directly off their page where they can monitor feedback if and when they implement the personel to watch it.

There are plenty of skilled folks out there who could put something like this together. Check out this page:

http://www.getafreelancer.com/sellers/

There is lots of competition in this field which makes it a buyer's market. Of course there would have to be a go-between or go betweens. If someone who knows some of the Heritage gang or even the names of some of the new folks who have come on board on the business side and pitch them the idea of a new website which will help their organization keep track of things as well as serve as an advertisement as well as custom design tool, and would  not cost them too much. I am sure they would have a listen.

The administator here could even set up a separate category where members of this forum could offer ideas for the site -which is what people do here anyway. Why not have these ideas go directly to the source?

I know there has to be more than one person who lives relatively close to Kalamazoo or is looking forward to a pilgrimage to the site who could take photos on a digital camera. I think it would be a dream come true for someone to not only visit the site, but get in on the inside track by taking photos for the website. And it doesn't just have to be one person either. These are just some ideas I am throw out here, but I can't help thinking how the synergy that comes out of this forum if applied to their site, would make it possibly one of the finest, and in many ways groundbreaking, musical instrument sites on the net.

Bottom line is they need help there. They are older guys that probably just don't place much priority on a website. A nice website along with some strategically placed web advertising would be the boost they need as they enter the next phase of Heritage.

Does anyone know if they visit this or any other forums?  My guess is no.

I have a guitfiddle on order and have been trying for months to get a status on it.  I made a few changes to the specs, and have emailed them several times to make sure that the new specs are in the hands of the guys that are doing the building.

I've been getting the "I'll check" response for months.

It's getting frustrating.  I just need a yes or no.  I don't care if it takes them years to build the damn thing.  Just a definitive response on whether or not they have the new specs in hand is all I ask.

Anyone else in the same boat?

My guess is the boys at Heritage have little to do with, or even care about the website.  My guess it that it's Lane Zastrow and Lasar Music that maintains the website since he is the sales and marketing rep.  A popular forumite here, who also happens to be a Heritage dealer, but whom shall remain nameless in this post, once told me Lane pretty much had the boys at Heritage by the balls as far as marketing is concerned.  Hopefully the lawyer will find a way to break the contract and get someone in there who can market in the 21st centrury.

"Anyone else in the same boat?"

I was, until they got my order wrong! I e-mailed them pics of heritage guitars of the color I wanted 3 different times (chestnut burst). I asked my dealer to confirm the order with them. Then Bill Page read back to my dealer all the correct custom specs and when Bill read the color he said "antique burst". I was there when my dealer called and he said commandingly "No. Chestnut Burst and we have sent you pics." Of course we got the reply, "OH, Ok , a yeah.. Chestnut, yes OK Chestnut."

5 months later it comes perfect with all the other custom specs but is shipped Anitque Burst. It is so light weight and perfect in every other way I kept the guitar. But I was very disappointed.

I have told this story I think 3 times on this forum, because maybe not everyone has read it.

I am not trying to scare you about your custom order, but maybe you can learn from me. You can't follow up enough with these guys. I paid close to $3k for my dream guitar which came after 10months the wrong color.

If we care about Heritage we need to let them know this is not acceptable.

Call them and call them again. Tell them you are just checking on the status and the specs because they have gotten some custom orders wrong lately and you want yours done right.

Do before its in finishing or it's shipped, and then it's too late.                        I still LOVE my Cust 555. I just feel everyone deserves to get they custom order right out there!

Good Luck and you LOVE it when it comes!!!!!

This is the header from the web site. Not sure who these guys are, but most likely this is who built the site. The big thing now is who's taking care of it.

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="Author" content="Neil Harding, Zenas Sound Productions Inc">
<meta name="keywords" content="heritage guitar inc, heritage guitar, hollow body guitars, semi hollow body guitars, jazz,jazz guitars, 
jazz artist, solid body guitars, bass, guitar, bass guitars, acoustic, acoustic instruments, acoustic guitars, custom carved guitars,
hrw premium pickups, hrw pickups,heritage artist,asb,acb,ant nat,kenny burrell, henry johnson, vince lewis, roy clark, randy dorman, j
ackie king,chuck jacobs, david paul, chris bovard, jim deurloo, marvin lamb, jp moats, bill paige,the heritage, grover machine heads, sperzels,">
<meta name="description" content="The art of handcrafting fine American made musical instruments continues at the Heritage Guitar Company in Kalamazoo, Michigan at 225 parsons st.">
<title>Heritage Guitar Inc</title>
</head>

Interesting. If you Google the name Neil Harding you get a variety of hits. Looks like he is British.

Here is the Google link to get an overview of the results: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Neil+Harding

Interestingly, on this results page 4th down, There is a link  back to the Heritage website and page with a big photo of him

and a reference to the fact he plays a Millennium DC:    http://www.heritageguitar.com/Featured%20A...l%20Harding.htm

7th result down you will see a result for "Neil Harding : Web Developer" wallah!!! However the link is dead : www.neilharding.co.uk

But this IS a UK URL.

Results are very vague to say the least, but based on what I have seen so far, this guy was an enthsuiast like all of us who helped them put a site up.

He doesn't seem to have any other association to them except for the picture of him that anyone could send in to the site if they wanted. I guess it would

be up to the webmaster to post it-oh that's right. Neil WAS the webmaster (still is?).  Maybe that explains why his photo is bigger than all the others :)

I even looked up the Heritage guitar URL on dnsstuff, but if looks like the assiciated info-mainly name of who legally owns the domain was requested to be kept private.

Personally, it is hard for me to accertain who is in charge of anything if their site is not being updated regularly. I mean there is a Sales and Marketing link with contact information

for a Lane Zastrow along with his bio. But doe anyone know if he is still relevant now that there has been a shakeup in the organization?

As it stands, based on the info out there, unless someone here has more of an inside track. It appears Lane is the one who most likey has the final say on websites and such.

"Anyone else in the same boat?"

...they got my order wrong! I e-mailed them pics of heritage guitars of the color I wanted 3 different times (chestnut burst). I asked my dealer to confirm the order with them. Then Bill Page read back to my dealer all the correct custom specs and when Bill read the color he said "antique burst". I was there when my dealer called and he said commandingly "No. Chestnut Burst and we have sent you pics." Of course we got the reply, "OH, Ok , a yeah.. Chestnut, yes OK Chestnut."

Kuz, I fully appreciate your disappointment about their getting the color wrong, all the more so since you went to such pains to ensure the right outcome. Your story highlights the reason I have never ordered a custom guitar from anyone, and least of all, from a "brand name manufacturer". The crux of the matter is that a producer, individual luthier, whoever, should not promise something they cannot deliver. Heritage, as others including John Covach have pointed out, is not, and never was, set up as a true custom shop - they simply did not have enough people on staff. You certainly paid a "premium price" for your 555 and you had every reason to expect a perfect instrument. However, if it is any consolation to you, as I admire your beautiful photos, I have to say that the guitar in question looks simply magnificent, and complements beautifully the existing color palette of your other 3 guitars. Cheers.

Kuz, I fully appreciate your disappointment about their getting the color wrong, all the more so since you went to such pains to ensure the right outcome. Your story highlights the reason I have never ordered a custom guitar from anyone, and least of all, from a "brand name manufacturer". The crux of the matter is that a producer, individual luthier, whoever, should not promise something they cannot deliver. Heritage, as others including John Covach have pointed out, is not, and never was, set up as a true custom shop - they simply did not have enough people on staff. You certainly paid a "premium price" for your 555 and you had every reason to expect a perfect instrument. However, if it is any consolation to you, as I admire your beautiful photos, I have to say that the guitar in question looks simply magnificent, and complements beautifully the existing color palette of your other 3 guitars. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words about my guitars. And I agree with you completely. I have always any type of  company that doesn't have  20 different models, just 3-5 models that are done better than anyone else. Heritage I can see in the future dumping the custom shop orders. Make their production models better than anyone else, keep the price the same, and keep their customers happy. Like I said other than the color it is true magnificent!

I was fortunate enough to get a company tour around 3 years back, Ren is a great guy. Their 'processes' are not 'modern', they do a lot of hand work.

Marketing is not something they excell at, nor is high volume. I am hopeful the new ownership can 'fix' things so they stay a healthy company that makes top notch instruments profitably.  There is some rich hertage in that plant (no pun) and it would be a huge loss for both Kalamazoo (historicly) and the industry.

Lets hope they can figure it out and do it

I am hopeful the new ownership can 'fix' things so they stay a healthy company that makes top notch instruments profitably.

My biggest fear is that prices will go up, The will cause a ripple effect in the used market where some will tout the praises of pre-corporate Heritage.

Even if the quality was held to the same standards, this would perpetuate the notion, if you buy new, you will be payimg more for as lesser instument.

Hopefully the new ownership is savvy enough to be aware of this hurdle. It would then require an advertisement campaign focused on dispelling any

myths about the new structure and instilling confidence in the potential buyers by explaining in detail the current manufactoring process vs pre-mew ownership

to reconfim that the product is just as good if not better with the (hopefully) new QC team that has been put in place, to insure consistent quality.

Might not be a good idea if they mention the implementation of a computer systerm to keep track of custom orders-although we should assume it

will be somewhat state of the art. At least better than a wadded up piece of scratch paper that "I may have left on the fishing boat this weekend" *  ;)

*(didn't really hear of any "fishing stories" however, based on the horror stories I have heard recently regarding custom orders, if the scenario described

DID happen, it would surprise few people, I am sure)

The stories of kicking out early because the weather is great for fishing is true. I don't if it is now.

The main problem I have with Heritage is that with the owner there has been NO change. I have communicated with Heritage just as much in the las couple weeks as I did a year & half ago.

They still make mistakes, can't locate orders or invoices, don't send dealers an invoice or bill when the guitar is shipped, horrible out dated web site (ie "Hot new Millenium models") ect.

I am not just B**ching here, I'm just pointing these out because I care about Heritage.

One post said give them a year to fix things and get up and running. If finances, production costs, and meeting orders was as bad as it was that they had to shut down, I don't think they will make for much longer than a year.

As I see it the new owner just gave them some money and it's a short term band aide.  Too bad.

• 5 weeks later...

Well it's now late winter heading toward spring and as far as i can tell, the website hasn't been touched. i guess parsons st. doesn't care what it's customers think. or want. or care about.

Well it's now late winter heading toward spring and as far as i can tell, the website hasn't been touched. i guess parsons st. doesn't care what it's customers think. or want. or care about.

Actually, it has been touched. They added that new, albeit improperly sized banner. And the link to the Kalamazoo article. And just today or yesterday, they added a by line to the new banner. So yeah, it's been touched. Uh, just not exactly what we were expecting, though.  :-

Archived