Heritage Owners Club

H150 CM Classic Pickup Mounting Rings

emery7columna

On the H150CM pickup mounting ring, what purpose do the two holes on either side of the adjusting screws serve? Are they like vent holes? Why don't Gibson's pickup mounting rings have the two holes? I am not quite sure if I like the look of the holes on the mounting rings. Anyone know what they do?

There is so much tone in a Heritage that the pickups were exploding binding and all kinds of other stuff.  Heritage hired a team from the JPL to research the problem and they learned that a few small vent holes close to the pickups would vent the energy and preserve the guitar.  Thus the small holes in the pick up rings.  Don't get your hands to close to the holes at loud volumes. 

Another theory is that the Schaller based pickups, HRW's, use a two hole mounting system.  I don't really believe that though. 

So that's why--I been wondering that myself!

I always thought it was to make the guitar lighter, as some of them can be somewhat heavy.

OK Emery... After the jokesters have responded I'm sure you're confused.  The response that Thundersteel gave about the Schaller and Heritage HRW pickups is the correct one. Those pickups use four mounting screws to raise and lower the height on the pickups which use the outer four holes in the pickup ring.  Other pickups such as Duncan use only two height screws which use just the center holes.  Hope that answers the ? and I've probably just been had.

There is so much tone in a Heritage that the pickups were exploding binding and all kinds of other stuff.  Heritage hired a team from the JPL to research the problem and they learned that a few small vent holes close to the pickups would vent the energy and preserve the guitar.  Thus the small holes in the pick up rings.  Don't get your hands to close to the holes at loud volumes. 

Another theory is that the Schaller based pickups, HRW's, use a two hole mounting system.  I don't really believe that though. 

That's some funny crap right there!!! ;D

OK Emery... After the jokesters have responded I'm sure you're confused.  The response that Thundersteel gave about the Schaller and Heritage HRW pickups is the correct one. Those pickups use four mounting screws to raise and lower the height on the pickups which use the outer four holes in the pickup ring.  Other pickups such as Duncan use only two height screws which use just the center holes.  Hope that answers the ? and I've probably just been had.

You kinda broke the brocode, GW. I can't believe it.  :(

I take it from all these responses that I can replace the multi holed mounting rings from Heritage with Gibsons?

Yes. 

I wanted to change the black rings out on my gold 535, Schaller pups, but the Gibson rings didn't have the 3 holes.  Luckily I got in touch with Ren and he mailed me two cream colored rings.  Otherwise I would have had to drill the extra holes.  Be careful, some of the Gibson rings have a greenish hue to them.  Match the trim as best you can.  Heck, I can't stop myself, here are my cream rings. 

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/img_4285_std.jpg[/img]

The response that Thundersteel gave about the Schaller and Heritage HRW pickups is the correct one.

Are you sure about that?    ???

I take it from all these responses that I can replace the multi holed mounting rings from Heritage with Gibsons?

The set of Schallers I have came with three holes on the legs of the pup. I just put G-brand rings on and they worked just fine.  Is this normal for the Schaller pups to have three holes already or do they usually only have two holes?  On the other hand, I have creme Schaller rings on my other 150 and the previous owner replaced the original pups with SD Custom Custom's. I don't mind the extra holes really. Here's a photo.

width=360 height=480http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/shook494/DSC00008.jpg[/img]

The Schaller's have three holes by design. The HRWs, which are based on Schaller parts, are mounted using two screws per side. I think Heritage referred to it as their "four point mounting system" and it was supposed to provide some benefit.

Four screws allow you to set the pickups parallel to the strings so the poles of

each pickup half are the same distance from the strings.  Don't know what affect

this might have on the tone (or hum) but to me it looks better.

I hate those Schaller rings. They cracked on both my H-150s. Very brittle by design.

Heritage should just switch to Duncans all around, and dump the Schallers. Seems most change them out right away anyway. But I guess the HRWs are still a big thing. My H-150 came with them and I honestly didn't think they were that big a deal. I swapped them for a set of '57 Classics and don't miss 'em a bit.

I guess they're tied into Schaller for the bridge & tailpiece too....oh well.

I think we're seeing a move away from Schaller being the hardware de jour. I asked for Tone Pros and it wasn't an upcharge anymore. And any SD pickup I wanted was available. I have Schallers in two of my gits, and they are fine. But they don't get much play time. The HRWs in my Millie NFH -- well, they're a bit dark for that guitar. That is one that I'm considering swapping out. Thinking HB sized Lollar P90. Would be sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived