Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H-155 vs. Millenium Standard Ultra vs. Chambered 150 cm

bobogypsy

I have a Heritage H535 that is my main guitar currently. I just sold an Anderson and am considering buying another Heritage. I was hoping for some feedback to help my choices.

I really like the look of the H-155 and prefer a semi hollow body guitar but am having trouble finding a used one. I also like the Millenium standard ultra which seems to be the same guitar except with F holes.

For those that have experience with these guitars, what do you like about the sound of each one? Also is there any fundamental differences between them other than the f- holes.

I also would like to hear from those that have one of the lightweight H-150's as far as sound and playability.

I am thinking about the the HRW pickups in any Heritage that I get. I have seth lovers in my 535 and really like them but wanted to have my second stage guitar be something a little different. My band plays bluesrock and some classic rock and I thought these would drive my amp a little better.

Again, how would you describe the difference between the seth's and the HRW's?

Thanks for your help in advance.

First of all--WELCOME!

I've got an H150LW (chambered) with Seth Lovers. Great sound--nice and woody. Good for classic and hard rock.

I also have an H555; but I can't remember whether it has the Seth Lovers in it or the '59s; regardless, it sounds nice too, though not as chunky as my H150LW--possibly because of the ebony fretboard.

I used to own an H157 with the HRWs--sounded good for everything. I also tried briefly an H555 with the HRWs, but I didn't like it; it sounded too "tinny" to my ears. Some people describe that as being too "hi-fi."

These are my opinions, and you know how opinions are!

I prefer HRWs to Seths.

HRWs have more output and a little more rounded sound (slightly less harsh highs, but still airy).

I own both a millie H155 and DC.

Both have HRWs.  I also owned a H150, but not w/HRWs.

My favorite is the H155.  w/0 f holes, rocks like a H150, but lighter and definately has that woody tone someone mentioned.

I like the DC too, but especially like the H155.

Keep your eyes open on the baywatch, they come up every now and then.

I have HRWs in two Heritage guitars, a Millennium Standard Ultra and a VIP II. I also have a Prospect Standard with Seths, and have Seths in a couple of G&L Bluesboys, (a semi hollow and a solid).

Overall for classic rock, blues or jazz tones the Seths do it for me. The HRWs in my experience have more output and have a very punchy clear tone, I found it difficult to get clean tones with the HRWs when plugged directly into my Blues Jnr, Cube 30x or AC30. On the Cyber Twin I can reduce the input level of the pickups to help obtain a clean input. In the end I just cranked them down from the strings which solved the problem.

The Millennium with HRWs is surprisingly good for heavy rock, pinched harmonics are no problem, not bad at all for a chambered guitar. The Prospect with Seths is a different animal, as it has much more subdued tones, it feels like the sound is coming more from the guitar, not the pickup, to be honest I prefer it to the Millie.

It almost sounds reading this as if I don't like the HRWs, I do I just prefer the Seths for the tone that is in my head. I have quite a few guitars with high output or active pickups where the output would curl your hair !

As for finding a used Millie or 155 they do appear every couple of months on Ebay and Wolfe guitars has a used Standard Ultra at the moment ...

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1902075

width=600 height=450http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/Gear/1902075/p1_un23ua2mh_so.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps

The Millennium/H-155 is a true semi-hollow, so it's going to sound significantly different than a chambered 150.  My Millie DC with HRWs is impossibly good-sounding--I personally prefer it to any chambered Les Paul I've ever played (haven't played a 150LW).  Soundwise, chambered LPs always seem neither here nor there to me.  The Millie will give you all of the warmth and resonance of a semi-hollow but with a lot more bite than a 555/535.

For a classic rock sound, I don't think you can do better than HRW pickups.  I have them in two guitars, and they really are that good.  Maybe a little hairy if you play a very conservative blues style.

bobo,

I have a 155 with Seths. Only thing I would like to add it that a 155 Millie is a semi on the bridge pickup but a carved top at the neck. The "block" is part of the rim coming from the bottom strap button to just past the bridge pickup. Unlike a 535 it will not have a strip of spruce above and below the (maple) block so it is between a 150 and 535 but more on the 150 side due to the thick carved top and "wings". (my 150 is not chambered) As the neck pickup does not have a block under it you get a very woody tone which I refer to as a little L5 (with Seths) good for jazz tones.

Sorry, the second only thing I wish to add...  155 has a maple back and sides with a mahogany neck vs the ultra which is mahogany back & sides so the 155 is most likely a little brighter.

The Millennium/H-155 is a true semi-hollow, so it's going to sound significantly different than a chambered 150.  My Millie DC with HRWs is impossibly good-sounding--I personally prefer it to any chambered Les Paul I've ever played (haven't played a 150LW).  Soundwise, chambered LPs always seem neither here nor there to me.  The Millie will give you all of the warmth and resonance of a semi-hollow but with a lot more bite than a 555/535.

For those who haven't seen this photo yet, here's the routing for the Millie guitars.  This is the middle piece, to which the back and top are attached:

Millyrouting.jpg

Wow, that's interesting.  Thanks for posting that.  Are those sides thicker than what you'd see on a 535?  The Millie feels a lot more 'substantial' than my 555, even though they weigh about the same.

That's a very interesting concept--you could call it a "semi-semi-hollow."  ;D

Any idea what the Milli DCs are going for used?

Depends on condition, obviously, but my off-the-cuff estimate would be around $1200-1300. A little less if you get a smoking good deal, up to around $1500-1600 for a like-new, high-end-of-the-range deal. I got mine for a good price, but there is some mineral staining on the bass side of the lower bout (all natural, of course) which I'm sure is a cosmetic issue for some people. I care more about how it plays and sounds, although I think it looks pretty damn good, too:

width=600 height=450http://www.shermonster.org/gallery/d/1343-2/warmoth+001.jpg[/img]

I noticed that it looks like the heal of the neck sticks out a but more from the cutaways than like a 335. Hows the access to the upper register?

I don't think the neck sticks out any more than on my H-137. Can't compare to a 535, because I don't have one (yet!). Access to the upper frets on the Millie DC is fan-freaking-tastic. Not that I can play worth a damn, but I can reach them without a problem.

This one cost me about $1200.

width=600 height=347http://eriador1.com/MillieSAE/mil-sae-incase2.jpg[/img]

This one cost $2100.

width=600 height=450http://eriador1.com/millie2008/millie2008-bod1.jpg[/img]

Both have good access to the upper frets. Never bothers me one bit. About the same as the 157 I had for a bit.

The Amber Millie really has that semi feel to it. Really pushes the air. Very nice and woody.

The Millie NFH feels and responds more like a solid body. Altho' you can feel the wood vibrate while it's trying to push the air. It doesn't have that openess that the other has. Both can rock pretty hard, tho'. No heartburn there.

I think bargains on Millies are harder to find lately, and that's partly because we do such a good job of keeping each other informed of ads on the internet.  Last year I picked up a DC for about $1100 in mint condition and a nice 155 for about $900.  The 155 languished on TGP for weeks before I broke down and bought it.  It's probably an indication of the increased reputation of Heritage generally that such guitars would sell pretty quickly right now and for more money, even in these economic times.

I think bargains on Millies are harder to find lately, and that's partly because we do such a good job of keeping each other informed of ads on the internet.  Last year I picked up a DC for about $1100 in mint condition and a nice 155 for about $900.  The 155 languished on TGP for weeks before I broke down and bought it.  It's probably an indication of the increased reputation of Heritage generally that such guitars would sell pretty quickly right now and for more money, even in these economic times.

Lots of truth in there, John. I remember looking at 535s a year ago for under a grand, sometimes in the $800s. Now you can't touch them for a grand unless you get lucky. Odd given the decline in the general guitar market.

This one cost me about $1200.

width=600 height=347http://eriador1.com/MillieSAE/mil-sae-incase2.jpg[/img]

This one cost $2100.

width=600 height=450http://eriador1.com/millie2008/millie2008-bod1.jpg[/img]

Both have good access to the upper frets. Never bothers me one bit. About the same as the 157 I had for a bit.

The Amber Millie really has that semi feel to it. Really pushes the air. Very nice and woody.

The Millie NFH feels and responds more like a solid body. Altho' you can feel the wood vibrate while it's trying to push the air. It doesn't have that openess that the other has. Both can rock pretty hard, tho'. No heartburn there.

That DC is freakin SWEET!  ;D

I noticed that it looks like the heal of the neck sticks out a but more from the cutaways than like a 335. Hows the access to the upper register?

The heel on a Millie is in the same place as on a 150/157.  The Millie DC (most of 'em, at least) have a deeper lower bout, making upper fret access like a 150.  The single-cutaway Millies have a shallower lower bout, for some reason, and this would make it more difficult to reach the 21st and 22nd frets.  I do play up there quite a bit, so this was an issue for me in choosing the DC.

Archived