Heritage Owners Club

Custom order guitar with Heritage

Heritage525

Well.... Ahhhh....  Thanks for asking that one!  Not that I'd expect any definitive answer from anyone.  I ordered last May...and have been reluctant even to think about calling Kalamazoo, or inquiring of Jay, or hoping to find any substantive info on The Heritage website.  When I found out about the goings-on in K'zoo (which is what sent me to this site, with its terrific folk, in the first place) I pretty much decided my order was in the hands of Prima Fortuna...,or Ren, or Bill, or J.P., or....  I guess if any word had leaked out recently, this place is one of the first it'd surface.    ???

Ren told me it depends on the guitar. Archtop longest, Semi-hollow less long, solid bodies least long. ;D

Seriously I know from experience and talking to others that any custom order is probably 6 month minimum (my Cust 555 took 10 months).

So since I don't know what guitar you are ordering I'd guess 6months to a year!

I want to custom order a 575

Just my best guess (if you call Heritage they will tell you less time) but I know my dealer is waiting on 2 archtops and it's been 11 months.

I'd say 9months to a year.

Go for it. The GAS pains get worse the longer you wait! ;D

If it's any consolation, the classical guys wait a year or two for a handmade guitar by the best makers.  They just work it into their expectations and get on the list.  We electric players are a little spoiled that way--we can usually get a guitar very quickly.

Kuz - what did you order custom on your 555?  Just curious!  ;)

It has all the in lays, and binding of a 555, but I wanted a mahogany neck (instead of maple), a rosewood board (instead of ebony),premium woods package, a fatter/wider neck, Seth Lover '59s( because to get HRWs would be another 6 weeks) and chrome hardware (instead of gold). I have another 555 that is stock other than HRWs & premium wood.

Basicly, I wanted a Custom 555 that looked like a 555 but sounded like a 535. Like I said I already have a 555 so I had that tone already.

Three things that I would get on a custom guitar: Premium wood package, Specify the neck you like, and HRWs!

555 = The maple neck & ebony board gives it a little more presences and highend ( very slightly more articulate & cut through the mix) I like it for more jazzy stuff.

535 = The mahogany neck & rosewood board gives it a warmer, fatter tone ( slightly less definition, more of the classic rock/ blues tone)

Let me say that there is very very slight differences between the guitars' tone, many might not be able to tell the difference between the two!

I ordered a Millennium DC almost ten months ago and they promised me end

of this month. I ordered a H-157 last month and they said 14 weeks + or -.

Promises were made before. I did a tour of the factory a couple of weeks ago

and Ren gave the tour. I had not heard about the fire and subsequent flood

of over 8 inches of water. I think it was just a case of a 'perfect storm' that

caused all there troubles. I am hopeful because they build one hell of a guitar.

I ordered an H-137 in January and it was delivered in September with a dent in it, under the finish, which indicates that they completed the guitar without noticing it. Jay offered me a "re-do" or a discount, I took the guitar.

There are a couple of issues the bridge pickup is mounted so close to the bridge that it's difficult to change the strings, and it's not lined up right with the strings. They "PLEK"'d it, but the slot for the high "E" string is so shallow that it's difficult to get it to stay on the nut before it's real tight.

I have always wanted an H-550 or H-575 but as much as I hate to say it right now I'd be hesitant to order a custom and then wait 18 months for something that wasn't entirely right.

I ordered a Callaham Strat a few years ago and it ended up being 30 months before it was delivered, but it was perfect.

Archived