Heritage Owners Club

how much of a collectors item will they be???

the jayce

Most "collectible" guitars are iconic due to the players that used them and the recordings they are heard on. The Strat has Jimi, the Les Paul has Page, the SG has Iommi and Angus, etc etc.

That's exactly it, right there.  The highly collectible solidbody electric guitars are almost all associated with late '60s or early '70s rock musicians.  The exceptions that readily come to mind are the strathead Charvels, which are both rare and associated with Eddie Van Halen and other early hair metal band guys, and the Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar, which took off in value once Kurt Cobain became popular.

Unfortunately, Heritage has never snagged a high-profile user.  Actually, I should say "fortunately," since I think the whole collecting thing is a bit dodgy.  Too many of the guys in the collecting world that I've met seem like total snobs.  I'd rather that Heritage remain as affordable instruments for real musicians, rather than for lawyers/doctors to buy as "investments."

The interesting question is what happens in value to the Heritage jazz boxes, since those actually improve sonically over time.

The thing I really love about Heritages is the fact that you get that feel and vibe of the old "Holy Grail" LP's without the hefty price tag..To boot you get the tone that you can never get out of Nashville without dropping 4 to 5K..I am not a rich man, and I am grateful to own such a Tone Monster!!

Plus I wanted to add this thought.."If you ain't gonna play em, why buy em?" I guess vintage guitars are like vintage cars..Some people drive em, Some people store em in the garage..

The thing I really love about Heritages is the fact that you get that feel and vibe of the old "Holy Grail" LP's without the hefty price tag..To boot you get the tone that you can never get out of Nashville without dropping 4 to 5K..I am not a rich man, and I am grateful to own such a Tone Monster!!

+1

Whatever happens with prices increasing, I think it's pretty certain that prices will not decrease at least (another reason to buy guitars, not houses!).  If you buy a used Heritage at a reasonable price, you won't lose anything for having owned it if you decide to sell.  New guitars will likely still depreciate, but used ones will hold their value.  I think prices will go up at some point in the future, but I'm confident they won't go down.

On the artist endorsement front: I think Heritages are most often bought by people who would otherwise buy a Gibson.  In many ways, Heritage rides the coat tails of Gibson endorsements, especially those artists and models from the 60s and 70s.

Plus I wanted to add this thought.."If you ain't gonna play em, why buy em?" I guess vintage guitars are like vintage cars..Some people drive em, Some people store em in the garage..

I bought a 68 GTO convertable to give away as part of a radio station promotion a few years ago.  The seller taught me a thing or two about classic cars:

1's--  The cars that people show at auto shows.  Travel inside protected trailer.  Every wire code, authentic to the T.  Never would it be driven on the street.

2's-- They look like #1s from 10 feet away.  But, Some are repainted to diffent colors or modded from factory.  Best of all--they are driveable on the street.  Prices are more reasonable.

The GTO was a #2, and the collector I bought it from only dealt in #2s because he likes to drive them.

Kind of like collectable guitars.  If its a #1 (say, a '59 LP or '62 Strat in great condition) you are going to keep it under lock and key and never take it out to play.  You just "own" it, show it off to impress, maybe even stare at.  But never would you 'drive' it.

On the other hand, a well-worn (honest wear, as Ren calls it) guitar, say a Strat Plus from the early 90s, is gaining in value over time and still its an axe you can take out and gig with.  Same with Heritages, IMO.  Beautiful handmade works of art, yet very playable.

Archived