Heritage Owners Club

Small tube combo for home use ? ( non EL84)

I have tried to like those Mesa Expresses. I tried it twice. I bet that thing is a tone monster. I just didn't get enough time either time to dial it in on any of the channels. Its just too much for me. 4 different channels plus different power settings. I just wasn't able to find the tone in that box. I was too busy switching from channel to channel trying to find the one that I liked. I think this says more about me than the amp. I want an amp I can just set and leave and like all the time. I can clean it up with my volume and I really don't like to much dirt.

The express has 2 channels and so does the LS. The Roadster and Roadking have 4.

I always played with a one channel fender amp. I pretty much just treat the LS like that and think of the extra ch as a really good overdrive pedal. Both ch's react the same as any amp to the guitars vol and tone controls.

I mostly have both ch's set to 50w for gigs and 10w's for home and band practice.

At home on 10w I have it hooked up to either a 112 jensen or 112 celestion GM12.

Im looking for a little low watt 210 cab as well.

Just ignore the bling and concentrate on the treble mids bass and gain.

I think I have played one of those Deluxe Reverb reissues, I'm not 100% sure it was the same amp though. It also had a hair trigger volume control, master volume only. Maybe it wasn't the same amp. This one was about 1800 euro, so it definitely wasn't cheap !

It's master volume only (no pre-gain) right out of 1965 so it's likely the same one. My volume comes up quick too, but it's manageable. I've found that backing off on the guitar volume makes quite a difference too. 1,800 Euro is a bunch! I think mine was under 800 Dollars brand new, although I have had it for a few years. Perhaps the export versions are just more expensive.

I just wanted to respond to the above blab I gave earlier in this thread. I've been on the Reeves and the Hiwatt forums and have heard from different people that the power scaling feature is good for higher volume tweeks, but doesn't work so well as far as say playing late at night and not wanting to wake the family---just doesn't work that great at lower levels.

Not that you wanted a Reeves anyway, nonetheless I said something that needed to be corrected.

While I'm on the subject, though, the Toneking Metropolitan has a new "phase 4" technology where supposedly everything I said in the above blab applies. There is one decent clip of the Metro on youtube and it sounds REAL good. I looked to see if there were any outlets for Toneking and Swart in Ireland, but the closest there is is Italy and somewhere on mainland Europe (couldn't decifer the language; Dutch, maybe. Dunno.). What a pain in the AAS.

Thanks Scooter.

Fender and Peavey amps are easy to get in Ireland because any music shop can be a dealer. Marshall and Mesa are only available through one importer for each manufacturer, who both happen to be music shops also. Other shops that want to stock or sell those brands have to be real nice to them or they can't get them. So there is basically no competition as the importer sets the price and the others have to follow suit or sell at a loss. Any other brand name like Swart, Toneking etc. wouldn't be stocked here as the population, about 4 million, wouldn't support the " business model". Bummer ! It's the exact same with guitars, double bummer ! And if you happen to be left handed well you guessed it ... triple bummer !!!

End of rant.

Thanks anyway ....

Archived