Heritage Owners Club

swapping pickups in a hollowbody

bolero

argh, I'm not looking forward to this...

I have a 535 & a Prospector, both hollowbodies.....now a set of Lollar Imperials to swap into each....guess I'll sit down one evening with some good beer, put some blues on the stereo, and serve my time

any tips from anyone else who has done this?

last time it took 2 1/2 hours for one guitar...basically I used string, needle nose pliers, lots of patience, and tried not to burn the finish with the soldering iron!!

I think I was sweating afterwards...a brain surgeon I was never meant to be LOL

Man, I have done some simple repair/maintenance on my 535's guts but I don't have the nerve to do a proper switch on the pups and other electronics. I have some mil spec waxed braided cloth string called "lacing cord" that will make your job much easier. Send me a PM about this stuff and I will be happy to mail you some of it. It will make your job easier for sure.

I have 14.5 years in the military electronics R&D field and this stuff is the chit. 10 feet of it will last a long time. It will hold onto your parts as you move them in and out.

I didn't do the installation. I just had a set of lollar imperials put into my 535. I predict that you will like them. I like mine just fine;very clean,smooth,not harsh at all. Anyway I paid my techie $70 to do that job. tj

I didn't do the installation. I just had a set of lollar imperials put into my 535. I predict that you will like them. I like mine just fine;very clean,smooth,not harsh at all. Anyway I paid my techie $70 to do that job. tj

Bingo! Best $85 I have ever spent. I, too put Lollar imperials in my 555 after selling the Seths. Seths are great, but the Lollars are so much more smooth & creamier in the 555.

mil spec waxed braided cloth string called "lacing cord"

Ron is correct--that's some good stuff! I use it in my job as well.

Bingo! Best $85 I have ever spent. I, too put Lollar imperials in my 555 after selling the Seths. Seths are great, but the Lollars are so much more smooth & creamier in the 555.

Last summer I bought an Epi Sheraton II and decided to put Seymour Duncans in it. The local shop tech had just spent a frustrating week with a stereo 345 from the '60s, and turned me down. I did it myself, and wrote a treatise (Word doc) on the subject. While I did the work on an Epiphone, the principles are exactly the same for any semi-hollow.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know and I'll send it off.

I'll take a copy of those instrx please. I have a set of HRWs I want to install in my H353 - which has Duncans now.

My local shop charged me $150 bucks to install a set of Ibanez Super 70s (great pickups) in a Sheraton II ( a great guitar). Thought that was a bit much!

I have a soldering iron and have switched out pickups on other guitars - don't want to spend $150 again, BUT, if I could find someone in the Twin Cities to do it for $75 bucks - cool.

thx for the offer, High Flying Bird, just sent a PM

lpdeluxe, ditto on the instructions!! email is

bbolero2@yahoo.com

thx!!

I wanted to change the wiring to vintage specs ( if it's not already ) but I might just draw the line at getting the pups soldered in....getting all 4 pots out & soldering them each differently may be too much for my nerves!!

on another note: I bought an RS wiring harness for my H150CM 2 years ago...installed it, used it for about a year....but the stock Heritage pots & caps sounded much better to me....I had the Peter Green magnet flip done; the out-of-phase tones rolled off smoother with the stock pots...the RS's dropped out like a switch....maybe they cut the pot trace so it's out of the circuiit full-on, and there is no gradual transition......also the volume swell was more useable stock, the RS didn't have as wide a range before the volume & tone dropped right out.

So don't be in a big hurry to pull out the electronics in your Heritages...based on my experience, they use great stuff from the factory.

OK, I sent the piece to each of you.

I no longer have the modified Epiphone -- I got a blonde 335 and traded the Epi off. Someone at the shop played it and snapped it up, while a similar, stock-up example is still hanging on the wall there.

The 335 is very nice, but now I think I should have kept the Sheraton and put a Bigsby on it, especially after getting a price quote from a Heritage dealer for a new 535 with the Bigsby!

Live and learn...or maybe I just need to order the Heritage....

At my age I no longer have the patience I used to have, so when I wanted the p/up's in my 535 switched I took it to my local tech maestro Mike Koontz who charged me $55 to switch the p/up's and a bad (brand new) 1/4" output jack.

Archived