Heritage Owners Club

Which 6L6/5881 tubes do you prefer?

I am trying to get a feel for the group preference in 6L6/5881 tubes.

It looks like it may be time to swap out the output tubes (8x) in my Egnater designed Velocity Valve and I am wanting to get a rich blending of harmonic tones without the sterile harshness. I am getting telltale pops and crackles and have already done the phase inverters.

Please give your pros and cons.

Thanks, Mark

My god Man! Are you stripping wallpaper for a living?

One simple formula; same brand and never pay extra for matched sets. Let the amp mellow across the tonal pallet. Even within brand and model tubes (matched or not) there is too much noise to guarantee the results. Add a couple chicken legs, an eye of newt and season to taste! :)

You have a 200 Watt Egnater? How cool is that!!!

Mark:

The only 6L6/5881 amp I've owned in the recent past was a Music Man RD100, modified by Andy Fuchs in 05 to ODS. As I've posted before, I've played the amp very little since I had the mod done, so I can't give a comparative perspective on how different tubes sets would sound in the amp, but I did check to see what Fuch installed when he did the mod, (I'd never even looked --shows how much I've played the amp), and they are Sovteks.

I find the site for The Tube Store to be informative, especially for getting a handle on who actually manufactures the tubes that are being sold as Tung Sol, Mullard, etc. There are also some reviews there, but there are many sources for tube reviews.

Mark,

I'd have to say that if you liked the tone before the tubes started going, get whatever brand Rocktron used in the first place. My experience with 6L6s as of later are a bit of a mixed bag. The Marshall JCM900 4102 had Marshall branded tubes of unknown origin. In the Lone Star I have left the Mesa tubes. Knowing full well that Mesa branded tubes are nothing more than cheap Sovteks screened by Mesa to be the best of the cheap. In the Tweed Super I have JJ's. But that is because the stock Shuguang that came with the kit were very sterile. But here, once again, we're getting into territory that is SO subjective - like strings, neck profiles, etc.

BTW, an online search shows the Velocity Valve came stock with Sovtek 5881WXT. From The Tube Store:

"The Sovtek 5881WXT tube is a reliable beam tetrode delivering a warm, round tone that "sweetens" any vintage or modern guitar tube amp design. Built to rigid military standards, the Sovtek 5881WXT will tolerate higher voltages than most other 6L6 tubes. This tube is commonly found relabeled by Fender and Groove Tubes to GT-6L6B. Mesa Boogie relabels them STR425.

From our review of the Sovtek 5881-WXT tube: "Solid construction and good performance. While not outstanding, the 5881WXT is probably the most commonly used tube of its type. Many amp manufacturers have been using these reliable workhorses as original equipment components. A good choice for general purpose use but not as rich in harmonic content as other tubes in this class. If you like to run your guitar straight into the amp, there are better choices. If you prefer to run through a bunch of rack equipment or like major crunch and overdrive sounds then this tube will work well."

Interesting that they mention Mesa relabeling these as the STR425, as that is what I currently have in the Lone Star. And it's a tone monster!!!

I've a pair of Electro Harmonixs that I love, BUT they came with an amp; so who knows what the hell the specs on those tubes are.

I'd call Lord Valve, Mike at KCA NOS, Tube Depot, or the like and tell them about your amp and what your looking for and go from there.

I replace the TAD 6L6s with JJ 6L6s just for the heck of it. Biased the amp (Kingston Chicago Blues Box). Played the amp for a couple hours.

The JJs went in the trash and I put the TADs back in and biased immediately. Tone was back.

TAD 6L6s = Rich, thick, complex yet chimey

JJ 6L6s = Sterile (same for the JJ preamp tubes but that is for another thread someday)

I replace the TAD 6L6s with JJ 6L6s just for the heck of it. Biased the amp (Kingston Chicago Blues Box). Played the amp for a couple hours.

The JJs went in the trash and I put the TADs back in and biased immediately. Tone was back.

TAD 6L6s = Rich, thick, complex yet chimey

JJ 6L6s = Sterile (same for the JJ preamp tubes but that is for another thread someday)

I'm not familiar with TAD tubes. Are they Russian?

I wasn't sure, and was curious, so I checked at the Tube Store site. Here's what they say:

TAD (Tube Amp Doctor)

"The T.A.D. (Tube Amp docter) tubes we offer are designed in Germany and produced in China to TAD's high standards. The reliability, build quality and tone of these TAD tubes are outstanding. TAD 6L6 and TAD EL84 tube types are clearly some of the best available."

I'm digging the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR blackplates in my amps. These sound like cross between an old GE short bottle and an RCA blackplate . I've tried both versions of the TAD's and wasn't very happy with the results in my Fender amps.

Kuz, where did you have the bias set with those JJ's? JJ's are pretty stout tubes with dual halo getters, thick spacers and copper support rods.

I'm digging the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR blackplates in my amps. These sound like cross between an old GE short bottle and an RCA blackplate . I've tried both versions of the TAD's and wasn't very happy with the results in my Fender amps.

Kuz, where did you have the bias set with those JJ's? JJ's are pretty stout tubes with dual halo getters, thick spacers and copper support rods.

For the record if I had some Tung Sols 6L6s I would have used them.

I biased the amp after putting the JJ 6L6s in the amp. They were a matched set of JJ 6L6s.

I am really surprised you didn't like the TADs (then again these were older, like 5-6 years old).

JJ 6L6GC's are very close in spec to a 7581A/KT66. I would bias them a bit hotter than most 6L6GC's. With the Tung Sol's I like the way they sound at 36ma per tube. With the JJ's or SED/Winged "C" I go to 42ma per tube.

JJ 6L6GC's are very close in spec to a 7581A/KT66. I would bias them a bit hotter than most 6L6GC's. With the Tung Sol's I like the way they sound at 36ma per tube. With the JJ's or SED/Winged "C" I go to 42ma per tube.

Good info. I had both the TADs and the JJs biased at 36ma so I didn't know to go higher with the JJs.

Thanks Mike!

FWIW, the Kingston with the TADs has more of a Tweed type circuit. I don't know if that makes sense for why they worked better.

42ma ... thats where I have the JJ's set in my Tweed Super. Sound pretty dandy. The builder had the JJ's set at 32ma in the Super. It just lacked. Rebiased and it's a ton monster. I've been jonesing for Tung Sols, tho'; will have to remember the 36ma if I ever get them.

I believe the proper current through a tube is dependent on the voltage

applied so it won't be the same in different amps. The important thing is

watts of dissipation which is current through the tube x voltage across

the tube. A 6L6 in one amp may like 42ma but this could be too much

in another amp with a higher B+ voltage.

To complicate things a bit more, varying the bias will also affect the plate

voltage, especially with a tube rectifier, so you have to sort of home in on

the adjustment.

Archived