Heritage Owners Club

New amp coming!

Hey guys,

Got a new amp coming and thought I'd share some details! I'd been researching different companies that made blackface style Fender amps when I came across Hayes Amplification.

While browsing the 'For Sale' section I saw a freshly blackfaced Super Reverb chasis that started out as a 1973 silverface. Now I'd been hoping to find something with higher wattage than a deluxe but had no plans on lugging a Twin or a Super around so this looked perfect! I contacted David Hayes about further modding the Super so it could be put into a head cab (as well as be used with different cab configurations) and even though he had already had a 4x10 cab custom built he was totally game. Not only that but during our initial phone chat, he suggested I take my time in making a purchasing decision and even if I had questions about another company's amps to feel free to call him. How classy is that?!

The amp should be here Friday and I'll post a full tone report. For now here's a beauty shot taken by Mr. Hayes (if you check the 'For Sale' section on his site, you can see some shots of the guts as well).

super_reverb.jpg

Handsome! A not-too-distant relative of my '76 Vibrolux Reverb, also blackfaced. And I, too, am working on speaker cab possibilities for my El34 build. I want the portability and footprint of a 1x12, but also the air of a 2x12. I'll eventually have both, but don't know what to go with first. Checked a speaker cab thread from here earlier today; I think Gitfiddler had posted Avatar's web address. Good stuff; good prices! I'm having my cab built to match the head, cosmetically, but I really liked some of their concepts (2x12 cab modeled on a Bluesbreaker...my guy, Ken, does a very similar cab). I'll be interested to hear you think outloud, J'punk, about what you're going to do, cab-wise. Keep us posted.... And congrats!

Handsome! A not-too-distant relative of my '76 Vibrolux Reverb, also blackfaced. And I, too, am working on speaker cab possibilities for my El34 build. I want the portability and footprint of a 1x12, but also the air of a 2x12. I'll eventually have both, but don't know what to go with first. Checked a speaker cab thread from here earlier today; I think Gitfiddler had posted Avatar's web address. Good stuff; good prices! I'm having my cab built to match the head, cosmetically, but I really liked some of their concepts (2x12 cab modeled on a Bluesbreaker...my guy, Ken, does a very similar cab). I'll be interested to hear you think outloud, J'punk, about what you're going to do, cab-wise. Keep us posted.... And congrats!

I had a 1x12 built for my Fargen Dual Classic by Ben Fargen's brother Jeff of J Design Cabs. If the Super turns out to be a keeper than most likely I'll go to him again (2x10 maybe?).

I'm sort of on a tone quest right now and trying not to lose too much money in the process! Loved the dirt channel on my Rockerverb 50 but ditched it as the clean channel just wasn't happenin' for me. I really love the warm full tones I get out of the Fargen but it seems geared a bit more towards single coils. It doesn't have that high end bite I hear out of Fender amps so I'm real excited to see how the Super plays with my 535 and 575.

Not sure I can give up the Fargen but I can't really afford to keep a stable of amps around. We'll see how it all pans out!

535 middle position => Super Reverb == Rythm Tone of doom! I'm sorry I didn't have my Super Reverb set up when you came down to buy the 535 - it's probably my favorite amp for the 535. You're gonna love it!

BTW, mine is a '66 in a repro box that was restored by Jeff Snider of Snider amps:

http://www.snideramps.com/

535 middle position => Super Reverb == Rythm Tone of doom! I'm sorry I didn't have my Super Reverb set up when you came down to buy the 535 - it's probably my favorite amp for the 535. You're gonna love it!

Congrats, JP! A 535 thru a super is one of my favorite tones - don't think you can even coach a bad sound out of one.

Thanks for the tone reports guys. Now I'm really excited!

Just arrived. Weehoo! :D

Workin' right now but took a quick timeout to set it up through my 1x12 (Eminence Tonespotter inside). Even through just the 1x12 the Super sounds fantastic. With the bright switch engaged and the bass fairly low, I found just the sound I had been looking for out of my humbuckers. Both my 535 and my 575 sound fantastic! Can't wait to experiment with some different tubes and cab configurations down the road.

Anyway, just a quick impression. I'm working all weekend but I'll post a better review along with some sound clips when I get a chance.

BTW, mine is a '66 in a repro box that was restored by Jeff Snider of Snider amps:

http://www.snideramps.com/

Any way you could post a pic? Love to see it!

Archived