Heritage Owners Club

Actually played a Heritage for the first time last Friday

Scooter

At the end of the first week of February of 2009 I was anticipating purchasing a G Les Paul in the near future. I loved the G. But during one of my internet searches I came across Heritage. I did a little more digging. Read the history of Heritage. Read the direction of the G after they took off for Tennessee. After that one history lesson I was dead set on Heritage. Two days later I found the HOC. I'm still looking forward to my first Heritage. But I finally got to play one for the first time last Friday.

I went a few towns over to one of the few guitar stores around here that carry anything by Heritage. They only had two but they had the two models that interest me the most: the 535 and the 150.

It has been a loooong time since I picked up a Les Paul so the weight of the 150 made me laugh; love it. Both guitars definitely met my expectations and make me look forward to finally getting one of these beauties. The 535 felt like it was specifically made for me; fit like a glove and felt wonderful to play. Pure pleasure.

I know you guys probably get to the guitar stores more than me and have played a lot more great guitars than I ever have, but to me this was a special moment. Got to noodle around with these for about 1/2 hour and it was bliss. So until that great day comes I'm enjoying the Heritage vicariously through you guys! B)

Looks like you are now officially hooked, big time.

So are you going to go for a 535 or a 150 ?

I don't have a 150 myself, I do have a 535 and like you say it is pure bliss to play. I bought mine via the net unplayed so I was taking a risk, but all of that just vanished when I first opened the case B)

Please keep us updated with your quest.

Looks like you are now officially hooked, big time.

So are you going to go for a 535 or a 150 ?

I don't have a 150 myself, I do have a 535 and like you say it is pure bliss to play. I bought mine via the net unplayed so I was taking a risk, but all of that just vanished when I first opened the case B)

Please keep us updated with your quest.

Very cool, Southpaw. For me a 535 will probably come first. It all hinges on the sale of some property of ours. It's slow going selling with this economy. But when it does go it's "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!"

At the end of the first week of February of 2009 I was anticipating purchasing a G Les Paul in the near future. I loved the G. But during one of my internet searches I came across Heritage. I did a little more digging. Read the history of Heritage. Read the direction of the G after they took off for Tennessee. After that one history lesson I was dead set on Heritage. Two days later I found the HOC. I'm still looking forward to my first Heritage. But I finally got to play one for the first time last Friday.

I went a few towns over to one of the few guitar stores around here that carry anything by Heritage. They only had two but they had the two models that interest me the most: the 535 and the 150.

It has been a loooong time since I picked up a Les Paul so the weight of the 150 made me laugh; love it. Both guitars definitely met my expectations and make me look forward to finally getting one of these beauties. The 535 felt like it was specifically made for me; fit like a glove and felt wonderful to play. Pure pleasure.

I know you guys probably get to the guitar stores more than me and have played a lot more great guitars than I ever have, but to me this was a special moment. Got to noodle around with these for about 1/2 hour and it was bliss. So until that great day comes I'm enjoying the Heritage vicariously through you guys! B)

When I first saw my 140, it was right next to a G brand LP Studio..I played both, and it was a no-brainer..The 140 was superior in both feel and tone, and it was $100 less..Plus the 140 had a kick butt sunburst..It just jumped off the wall at me..Glad to hear you are hooked..Welcome to the cult..HAHA>>

For me a 535 will probably come first.

As a 535 owner, I'm obviously biased, but I'd strongly suggest the 535. It's a jack of all trades instrument that really simplifies your life. Especially from a gigging stand point, using a single instrument simplifies your work load between songs and keeps the set moving along at a nice fast clip. You still need an emergency guitar, but that's it. The only real drawback to to my 535 is the nut: it was necessary to tune the instrument between songs, but the excellent Grover heads made fast, precise, work of that. Unfortunately, time spent tuning (however quick) is still open mike night for your vocalist.

I had the pleasure of working with a sane drummer, so I can't complain :P

Were I to gig again, I'd likely order a custom with a carbon nut and Gotoh locking tuners. Don't get me started on the merits of Gotoh tuners, despite their fussy Fender-sized pegs. Grovers are great for playing at home, but nothing matches Gotoh's when you're playing aggressive music in front of a drunk, riled-up crowd. Speed between numbers is the key, and Gotoh is unsurpassed in that regime. Play. Stop. Play. Gotohs are wonderful machines, not only do they stay in tune, forever, they keep your singer singing...rather than talking.

The other benefit of the 535 is the ability to plunk your butt down on the couch and watch a baseball game without wires or having to remember that riff or break for later testing. You'll know right away if it's any good. It is an acoustic guitar, after all. The 535 will make you much more productive on the song writing front.

Lastly, others have encouraged you to quickly make the purchase. I'd suggest that you relax and make the purchase when you're at ease with the decision and able to enjoy the experience without worries or regrets. I bought Dirty Dottie about six months too soon, and while I make light of it now, I still feel a bit guilty about it. Neither my fiancee nor myself had to make sacrifices to accomodate Dottie...but I did worry about spleens and broken legs for a few months. In retrospect, she'll always have a cloud over her head. Do it when it feels effortless, not when it feels right, and certainly not when you're able.

Hope this was helpful,

Irving

Nuts, I spent too much time writing the above message and the system did not allow me to edit. I appologize for my poor grammar and spelling.

Gotta love the internet, I'll bet that's a sentance you never expected to hear/read in a guitar players' bull session :P

Nuts, I spent too much time writing the above message and the system did not allow me to edit. I appologize for my poor grammar and spelling.

That's OK, DCA. We've all proofed and edited it...! :P

Grovers are great for playing at home, but nothing matches Gotoh's when you're playing aggressive music in front of a drunk, riled-up crowd.

Hmmm.....I've never had any tuning problems with my Grover tuners on any of my guitars--ever!

Gotta love the internet, I'll bet that's a sentance you never expected to hear/read in a guitar players' bull session :P

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts, DCA. Really appreciate it. In my very first thread here at the HOC I asked a question where I was trying to get to the bottom of which guitar had good versatility. Although there were different opinions it seemed to me the 535 received the most nods. And I agree (for what I want out of a guitar). I do like the acoustic side of semi-hollow and hollow body guitars. To be honest when I practice I do it almost always unplugged. So the 535 is one of my top two Heritage choices right now. The other model I've been strongly considering lately is the 575. The 150 has dropped to #3, as much as I love it.

To be honest there is only one other guitar outside of Heritage that keeps haunting me. As bad as I'd like a Heritage this one guitar has provided stiff competition in my head. No matter what I end up getting it's probably a safe bet that it'll be a while before I ever get another guitar because of our circumstances right now. Either way it'll be nice to have a great axe.

Like an acoustic, I find I'm a lot more worried about knocking my 535 on something and

damaging it than I am with a solid body. Or having it knocked off its stand, so I keep it

in its case. That's the only negative I have with it.

Like an acoustic, I find I'm a lot more worried about knocking my 535 on something and

damaging it than I am with a solid body. Or having it knocked off its stand, so I keep it

That is a very interesting comment right there. :P Something I can honestly say I'd never considered. Are the tops on the semi's/hollows that much more delicate than the 150 series? In retrospect, it would seem they'd have to be considering the solid top nature of the 150s. But I've never given it much thought. I rarely get the 535 out, so it's sort of a non-issue (at the moment). My Millie SAE is a laminate top - wouldn't the laminate give it a bit more structural strenght than a carved top with the same thickness?

:P Sorry for the hi-jack, but this is where the topic seemed to come up.

All of my guitars stay in their cases when not being played. Only time they sit on a stand is when I set 'em down to grab a drink!

That's OK, DCA. We've all proofed and edited it...! :P

I'm delighted to hear that someone is also willing to post watch over the decline of our spelling and grammar. It's a little known fact that....

I can see Paul's point and would be a lot more uneasy about leaving a hollow or semi-hollow on a stand. I tend to be like Jazzpunk where if I'm not playing my guitar or setting it down briefly 'cause I gotta get something then it's in the case (even my solidbody git). The only guitar I leave on a stand all the time is my beater classical guitar which I also tend to play a lot.

I'm more concerned about the headstock angle and set neck. Fender bolt on style w/straight headstocks seem almost bullet proof - very rugged. Don't really think of the 535 being more prone to damage due to it's semi-hollowness, but betcha both 150/535s are more likely to break the neck in a fall. Pretty much keep all mine in cases, too, but more from habit of keeping 'em safe from kids/pets. They're all treated well and maintained, but they all get scratched and dinged up pretty good from playing out with them.

All of my guitars stay in their cases when not being played. Only time they sit on a stand is when I set 'em down to grab a drink!

+1 That is exactly how I do it as well. I don't trust my curious 8 & 10 yr olds enough to leave my guitars out.

Plus then the wife could count how many I/we own.....

Believe it or not, most of my dings come from the damn ends of the strap lots. I whip them on or off and ding!!!

Greeny has two very small dings now and I was reaching for xanax!!!

I'm more concerned about the headstock angle and set neck. Fender bolt on style w/straight headstocks seem almost bullet proof - very rugged. Don't really think of the 535 being more prone to damage due to it's semi-hollowness, but betcha both 150/535s are more likely to break the neck in a fall. Pretty much keep all mine in cases, too, but more from habit of keeping 'em safe from kids/pets. They're all treated well and maintained, but they all get scratched and dinged up pretty good from playing out with them.

Good point, fx. I've heard that mahogany necks are susceptible to breaking due to falls and leaning the guitar against things where the headstock is taking on the weight. One time I was talking G***** SG's with a luthier and he had mentioned that SG's are notorious for having their headstocks break off for the reasons stated. That also happened to my uncle's G***** ES-125. He leaned it against a wall, went to get something and came back to find the headstock had snapped off. It was an old guitar at the time, to be sure, but...there it is. Anyway, does anyone know if this is generally true regarding mahogany necks? Just curious.

Archived