Heritage Owners Club

High prices for used Heritages

martintj

I recently bought a 535 which was listed on craigs list. I paid what I feel was a fair price for a really nice guitar. After reading a lot of the For Sale guitars on this site I can't believe the prices some of these folks are asking.Lets get real;these are hard times for most people. I know that its hard ;next to impossible to sell equipment at a Fair price. So you sellers out there,if you want to have a chance at selling your equipment please reconsider the prices that you are asking and I hope you can sell !

Now the opposite side of that coin comes to play if your already own Heritage guitars and intend to keep them.

The sky is the limit :P

Even though I thought my Heritages were expensive guitars they were worth every cent. I expect to be playing them until the grim reaper says "Enough, stop that noise". I'd like to imagine that each of my two, $2,250, second hand Heritages ultimately works out costing, at most, about 50c/week.

In 2005 I bought a new H-150 from Jay and the price was $1,335.00. This included shipping. A used one at that time could be had for between $750.00 and $950.00. Now a new one is around two grand and used prices have gone up as well. The prices for new and used started to really go up right after the HOC was formed. We're a victim of our own success but it's nice to see the value increase closer to what used Gbrands are going for.

I know a guy with a really nice fishing boat for sale. Well, I don't know him really well, only because I talked to him about his boat six weeks ago. He was asking about 20% over NADA boat book guide price. He offered to cut it a little for me, but it was still what I considered high. Especially considering there are more and more boats for sale around here every day, with not so many selling.

Anyway, I noticed he updated his ad last week. He's now asking for the "deal" he offered me or best offer. The thing is, anyone looking for a boat has seen that one sitting for sale for nearly two months. I know it's a nice rig, because I looked at in person. But, if you were going to have to drive any distance to look at it, how likely are you to say, "Man, that's been for sale for a while. Must really be something wrong with it." Or, worse yet, to see the picture and say, "Oh, that one, I saw that months ago" without bothering to see the new price?

What I'm getting at is that overpricing anything in a soft market has a way of self-correcting, which is a good thing, if you're a buyer. If you're a seller, though, you risk alienating your market and ultimately taking less than you would have if you had otherwise priced accordingly (or even slightly aggressively) at the outset. On the other hand, as a seller, you have every right to wait for that one guy that will pay too much. <shrug>

Now, the guy with the boat...I know he's in a pinch, because he's making strokes on a much bigger hull in addition to the fishing boat. As much as I feel bad for his inability to make that nut every month, I don't think it's my responsibility, as a buyer, to subsidize his lack of financial planning. I suspect that boat will sit until he drops it an additional 25% below where he's at now (not an insignificant dollar amount; that sort of price drop would buy a couple of H-535s) or until some fool stumbles upon it.

Thus ends my random musing of the night.

For now. :P

I'm in that mindset: price it right and it'll sell. And altho' we no longer have karma points to give, the fact is karma comes around - good or bad.

When I bought my first new, off the rack H535 from Mojo's Music, Bob mentioned that they'd had a slight price increase and I'd missed the "golden age" for Heritage prices. This was right after the rebuild from the fire. Seems that previous to the fire the dealers could sometimes get a buy one, get one free from the boys. Talk about being able to make deals! After the fire and with the advent of Vince joining the crew, those kinds of deals are in the past. New, I think Heritage is priced pretty much where it should be. Used ....... they're always too high!! :P

In 2005 I bought a new H-150 from Jay and the price was $1,335.00. This included shipping. A used one at that time could be had for between $750.00 and $950.00. Now a new one is around two grand and used prices have gone up as well. The prices for new and used started to really go up right after the HOC was formed. We're a victim of our own success but it's nice to see the value increase closer to what used Gbrands are going for.
It's nice that our "Boys" are finally getting the credit they deserve..But imho it's only a good thing if you are selling, not buying..My 2 cents..Times are tough, Cut us a break..

I recently bought a 535 which was listed on craigs list. I paid what I feel was a fair price for a really nice guitar. After reading a lot of the For Sale guitars on this site I can't believe the prices some of these folks are asking.Lets get real;these are hard times for most people. I know that its hard ;next to impossible to sell equipment at a Fair price. So you sellers out there,if you want to have a chance at selling your equipment please reconsider the prices that you are asking and I hope you can sell !

Please don't take this the wrong way, but complaining about used prices on this board is not a very good way to make friends here.

If you are interested in a guitar, you are free to make what you believe is a reasonable offer. Not everyone selling a guitar needs to sell it, and most are not doing it as a public service for those who want the guitar but are suffering from tough times. Those who do need to sell will do so at the price that makes that happen.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but complaining about used prices on this board is not a very good way to make friends here.

If you are interested in a guitar, you are free to make what you believe is a reasonable offer. Not everyone selling a guitar needs to sell it, and most are not doing it as a public service for those who want the guitar but are suffering from tough times. Those who do need to sell will do so at the price that makes that happen.

Point well taken..Thank you

Very well said.

Keep looking some player will need the money more than the guitar and BAM you score a great deal. Remember it would be nice if these guitars maintain a respectful value, I know for sure that would make us all happy. RIGHT GUYS : ) YOU GOTTA LOVE THESE GUITARS they are worth every penny, BUT BE CAREFUL THEY ARE ADDICTING.

Happy 4th of July to all members from California Al B

The almighty debate of buying and selling. The price is always to much to the buyer and never enough for the seller, and this applies to anything your buying or selling----> this is a debate that can not ever be won, so please dont try, by the way who out there has a h-555 that there up for trading, i have a 2007 h-150 ultra in a vintage sunburst in case anyone is interested..

Sorry Guys,

what I was trying to say but it launched the wrong way was Happy 4th of July from California, not only to the members in California. I wish you good and what do I get "a slap in the chops" speaking of chops maybe we should all go practice : )

LOL Peace Al B

Sorry Guys,

what I was trying to say but it launched the wrong way was Happy 4th of July from California, not only to the members in California. I wish you good and what do I get "a slap in the chops" speaking of chops maybe we should all go practice : )

LOL Peace Al B

Ha! We know that brother! Just giving you some crapola! Have a great weekend!

The almighty debate of buying and selling. The price is always to much to the buyer and never

enough for the seller, and this applies to anything your buying or selling----> this is a debate that

can not ever be won, so please dont try...

And then there is desire.

We're in the middle (well hopefully towards the end) of buying a house. There wasn't much interest

in our current one, one offer fell through when the guy was seized by his just-divorced wife, and

we started thinking about lowering our price. Then all of a sudden we get four offers on the same

day and end up selling for more than we originally asked for.

For the last couple of months we've visited just about every house for sale in our area and there's

always something wrong, something major. We lost the house we thought we were going to buy

when the inspection flagged a major plumbing problem. Then yesterday, on the verge of giving up,

we drive by a house that looks interesting. Visited today and it's so perfect we made them an

offer they couldn't refuse. A few more steps to go but hopefully things will pan out.

All this to say that price is only one piece of the game.

And then there is desire.

We're in the middle (well hopefully towards the end) of buying a house. There wasn't much interest

in our current one, one offer fell through when the guy was seized by his just-divorced wife, and

we started thinking about lowering our price. Then all of a sudden we get four offers on the same

day and end up selling for more than we originally asked for.

For the last couple of months we've visited just about every house for sale in our area and there's

always something wrong, something major. We lost the house we thought we were going to buy

when the inspection flagged a major plumbing problem. Then yesterday, on the verge of giving up,

we drive by a house that looks interesting. Visited today and it's so perfect we made them an

offer they couldn't refuse. A few more steps to go but hopefully things will pan out.

All this to say that price is only one piece of the game.

I know what you mean, buying a house is torture. I've had mine 25 years and I can still remember the invading questions.

On the bright side, more room for more guitars LOL if there's any money left. Best of luck with your choice bro.

I just spent two days in the backyard, I'm so sunburnt it hurts just to look at my forehead in the mirror. But it looks great now and it's ready for that summer BBQ fun. take care Al B

The Heritage used market is is outrageous. I waited a long time to finally find someone with brain and a great H555 that I purchased for a steal.

I love the company, story, and build of the instruments but come on some folks need to GET REAL. ;)

I mean get what you can but there is a reason you keep seeing the same corny and bloated post on craigslist weekly.

I think humans lost the art of the haggle.

The Heritage used market is is outrageous. I waited a long time to finally find someone with brain and a great H555 that I purchased for a steal.

I love the company, story, and build of the instruments but come on some folks need to GET REAL. ;)

I mean get what you can but there is a reason you keep seeing the same corny and bloated post on craigslist weekly.

I think humans lost the art of the haggle.

Obviously humans havnt lost the art of the haggle judging from your post.

I can tell you they most definitely haven't.

Everyone pays what an item is worth to them or gets something else.

Try and snaffle up a cheap guitar if you can, and good on you, but bitching about the price of the guitars in the s/h market is just pointless. Theyre the price they are because people pay that much as an average.

Maybe you need to judge things by the enjoyment they bring rather than the cost.

I bet you ache to the bones over gibson s/h prices.

Archived