Heritage Owners Club

if i can ever afford a bass amp...

i think it just might be polytone minibrute! if it sounds anything like the model in my podx3... wow, what an upright tone!

How many watts? I'll have to check it out.

I'd like to pick up a bass & amp sometime (after I get a few other things). Was looking at the SWRs somewhat recently. They seemed pretty decent and affordable.

How many watts? I'll have to check it out.

I'd like to pick up a bass & amp sometime (after I get a few other things). Was looking at the SWRs somewhat recently. They seemed pretty decent and affordable.

I have a pre-Fender SWR Workingman's 15. Paired with a 2x10 bottom pumps it up to about 350w. Wowzers comes close to explaining the feel and sound. They really did something back then to make those amps not only road worthy, but affordable for the ... well, the workingman. :D Got mine from the Musicians Friend warehouse when they first opened up the distribution in KCMO. They had it on the "broken" wall. Wouldn't turn on. Took it home, replaced the fuse on the circuit board, resoldered the leg on one trans and voila! A brand new SWR WM15 for ....... ahem ..... $100. :D

Yeah, those old WM's were awesome. I wouldn't mind an old Baby Blue.

SWR's I have owned:

all pre-Fender

Bass350 (the red head)

Bass350 (the chrome version of the red head)

SM400

Interstellar Overdrive pre

Power750 power amp

Henry 8X8

The Bigfoot 2x12

They were all phenominal.

I recently played one of the new Eden's with the switching power supply. It was about the size of a cigar box, and weighed nothing (can't remember the model number.) Truly sounded great --growled nicely through a cab with two 15" JBL's at our last gig.

I tried a switching power-supply amp ( a Crest) in my pre-amp/power amp bass rig a couple of years ago, and it (A) sounded like crap, and (:D blew a channel, so I wrote them off and went back to an old Crown (I should add that Crest fixed and upgraded the amp for free ...but it still didn't sound good to me as a bass amp).

I think the new generation of light-weight amps with switching-power-supply technology has fixed the problems of the early efforts and is going to change the rule book on bass amps ...at least for those of us with aging backs. (I'm sure some co.'s will do a better job than others, though all seem to be jumping on the bandwagon.)

I recently played one of the new Eden's with the switching power supply. It was about the size of a cigar box, and weighed nothing (can't remember the model number.) Truly sounded great --growled nicely through a cab with two 15" JBL's at our last gig.

I tried a switching power-supply amp ( a Crest) in my pre-amp/power amp bass rig a couple of years ago, and it (A) sounded like crap, and ( :D blew a channel, so I wrote them off and went back to an old Crown (I should add that Crest fixed and upgraded the amp for free ...but it still didn't sound good to me as a bass amp).

I think the new generation of light-weight amps with switching-power-supply technology has fixed the problems of the early efforts and is going to change the rule book on bass amps ...at least for those of us with aging backs. (I'm sure some co.'s will do a better job than others, though all seem to be jumping on the bandwagon.)

It is amazing what is being done with bass amplification these days. Last gig the bass player brought his new Mark bass rig, about the size of a large shelf speaker. Pushing 400w+. Amazing!!!

I use a Tsunami switching amp for our sub. 1000w+, weights 28lbs. It's my second one, tho'. The first blew chunks pretty early on, but they were cheap on the 'bay at the time. This 2nd one is rock solid.

I have a pre-Fender SWR Workingman's 15. Paired with a 2x10 bottom pumps it up to about 350w. Wowzers comes close to explaining the feel and sound. They really did something back then to make those amps not only road worthy, but affordable for the ... well, the workingman. :D Got mine from the Musicians Friend warehouse when they first opened up the distribution in KCMO. They had it on the "broken" wall. Wouldn't turn on. Took it home, replaced the fuse on the circuit board, resoldered the leg on one trans and voila! A brand new SWR WM15 for ....... ahem ..... $100. :D
WOW!! that kicks a##!!

I use a Gallien-Kruger 700RB-II. Weighs only about 15 lbs; > 400 watts of brutal tone!

Recently got rid of one of those. Easily one of the best sounding amps I have ever owned. Particularly for progressive type bass tones. Loved it with my fretless Ibanez Roadster bass.

Their MB150 amps are a standard for uprights these days. :D

Top grade stuff... and affordable.

I use a Gallien-Kruger 700RB-II. Weighs only about 15 lbs; > 400 watts of brutal tone!

Our bass player just got one like that (I think!). It's so cute...but LOUD!!!!!!!!

The new bass amp technology is very advanced, yet mimalist in size-to-power. Amazing.

I use a pre-Fender SWR Workingman 15 at home and still lug around a Carvin RL210 combo with 15" extension for larger venues. I'd sell the Carvin rig and get something smaller, but it is so reliable...plus I'd get killed on the sale.

I have a pre-Fender SWR Workingman's 15. Paired with a 2x10 bottom pumps it up to about 350w. Wowzers comes close to explaining the feel and sound. They really did something back then to make those amps not only road worthy, but affordable for the ... well, the workingman. ;) Got mine from the Musicians Friend warehouse when they first opened up the distribution in KCMO. They had it on the "broken" wall. Wouldn't turn on. Took it home, replaced the fuse on the circuit board, resoldered the leg on one trans and voila! A brand new SWR WM15 for ....... ahem ..... $100. :D

Wowzers, Tulk! Nice one.

Archived