Heritage Owners Club

She's on her way to get a re-fret

GuitArtMan

Damn, that is a bad ass looking box!!! Where are all these fantastic pick of the litter guitars coming from? I'm jonesin to get back serious into jazz when I see a work of art like THAT!!!!! Don't know of too many guitars that can actually inspire me to play just by the mere site of them. Doesn't surprise why me so many folks like yourself GuitArtMan as well as most all the other folks on this forum treasure these masterpieces.

Damn, that is a bad ass looking box!!! Where are all these fantastic pick of the litter guitars coming from? I'm jonesin to get back serious into jazz when I see a work of art like THAT!!!!! Don't know of too many guitars that can actually inspire me to play just by the mere site of them. Doesn't surprise why me so many folks like yourself GuitArtMan as well as most all the other folks on this forum treasure these masterpieces.

I bought that beauty from none other than Jay Wolfe. 

I bought that beauty from none other than Jay Wolfe.

I figured so. Is it pretty much a well regarded fact then that Heritage ships Jay Wolfe their best creations? I mean, it only makes sense since they are reknown for them, and therefore sell quite a few. But, I mean, if you look for instance at the selection Eddies' Guitars has of Heritages vs Jay Wolfe, well, the shop in Jupiter. FL clearly has the nicer lot overall. 

Wow! Another gorgeous 535! You guys are killing me!

I would love to get either a 535 or 555, but my left hand just won't fit in the cutaway!

Maybe I'll have to get a 525 to complement my 575!

Wow! Another gorgeous 535! You guys are killing me!

I would love to get either a 535 or 555, but my left hand just won't fit in the cutaway!

Maybe I'll have to get a 525 to complement my 575!

???

Why does your hand need to fit in the cutaway?  The neck joins the body at the 19th fret.

Huh?

Why does your hand need to fit in the cutaway?  The neck joins the body at the 19th fret.

When I try to reach the 22nd fret, the cutaway horn hits my hand. I have no problems with my 575. The cutaways on the 535/555 aren't as wide.

The way the guitar is angled in the photo really shows off the binding, which brings to mind how much thicker the Heritage binding is than any other manufacturer's guitars I have ever seen.

Has anybody ever seen binding this thick on another manufacturer's guitar? It doesn't seem to be mentioned much, like the other special touches Heritage adds i.e. real mop, nitrocelluous lacquer etc.

It really adds a richness and more solid appearance to all the models that utilize it.

The way the guitar is angled in the photo really shows off the binding, which brings to mind how much thicker the Heritage binding is than any other manufacturer's guitars I have ever seen.

Has anybody ever seen binding this thick on another manufacturer's guitar? It doesn't seem to be mentioned much, like the other special touches Heritage adds i.e. real mop, nitrocelluous lacquer etc.

It really adds a richness and more solid appearance to all the models that utilize it.

I agree Heritage does a nice job on their binding. I love the natural wood bindings on my PRS guitars as well.

This pic doesn't show the natural wood binding very well but you get the idea!

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC2061-Edit.jpg[/img]

I agree Heritage does a nice job on their binding. I love the natural wood bindings on my PRS guitars as well.

This pic doesn't show the natural wood binding very well but you get the idea!

Wow!!! Another outstanding example of guitar craftsmanship-stunning finish!!!! Always wondered about the bridges on those guitars-are they supposed to enhance sustain past the level of say a Nashville bridge and an aluminum tailpiece? Seems like PRS is into "next generation" design concepts so my assumption would be they add increased sustain. What's your opinion Kuz?

The PRS does not having binding. They don't really bind their guitars at all (by binding I mean a separate plastic or wood strip unique from both top and sides/back of guitar.)

PRS instead masks the flametop maple from the top coloring and side grain filler & coloring to give the appearance of a binding strip.  You can see it in the picture of your PRS, Kuz.  Note how the stripes of maple flame top run continuously in the  so called "binding." It's all one piece of wood, namely the maple top.

Dan Erlewine talks about his in one his tutorials on the www.stewmac.com website.  Binding, especially with other woods is really difficult because you have to keep stains and colors on the top from bleeding into the wood of the binding.  With plastic bindings you don't get this seepage of color into the plastic.

Cheers, Cryoman

Sorry about the confusion. You are correct in that it is not "binding" it is part of the top but many do refer to it as "natural binding"

As for sound and sustain, it is at a completely diifferent level of anyother guitar I have owned or played. Loud & more sustain acousticly than my 555s. Intonation is perfect (but I use 10s and play at standard tunning) Wonderful solid brazilian rosewood neck.

Tone is like Robben Ford meets Larry Carlton.

It is a PRS Modern Eagle and should be that good a guitar for $5100.

Here is a link of Paul Reed Smith himself playing one. Yes, he is playing it thru a great amp, but they really do sound like this.

GuitArtMan~ AWSOME H535!!  I love that vintage color and one-piece body.  Please let us know how the refret and nut replacement comes out.

About the extra thick Heritage binding...Why do they do that?  A little thinner binding would suit me just fine on most of their guitars.  Now if they got into the 'natural' binding game, (ala PRS or G&L, etc.) I know I'd have to go deep into debt for more of their fine products.

GuitArtMan~ AWSOME H535!!  I love that vintage color and one-piece body.  Please let us know how the refret and nut replacement comes out.

About the extra thick Heritage binding...Why do they do that?  A little thinner binding would suit me just fine on most of their guitars.  Now if they got into the 'natural' binding game, (ala PRS or G&L, etc.) I know I'd have to go deep into debt for more of their fine products.

Oh, I can assure you the re-fret will comeout nothing short of perfection.  I've had Michael do two complete re-frets for me and two of his signature set ups (level/crown/polish/address the nut) and all have come back perfect.  In fact, two of my pleked Heritages went to Michael and came back playing much better than when I sent them.  The man is a genious when it comes to frets.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it done yet? I wanted to ask you a few questions about it, Gman. Do they have to sand the binding so it doesn't cover the ends of the frets anymore? What size frets did you have them install?  Was it expensive?  On my Heritage the way the frets are crowned reminds me of Ibanez.  Just wondering how it turned out.

Is it done yet? I wanted to ask you a few questions about it, Gman. Do they have to sand the binding so it doesn't cover the ends of the frets anymore? What size frets did you have them install?  Was it expensive?  On my Heritage the way the frets are crowned reminds me of Ibanez.  Just wondering how it turned out.

No, not done yet.  When I sent it in to Michael he mentioned he would not be able to get started on it until the end of last week at the earliest. 

As for the fret nibs, those come off when the frets come off.  I don't like 'em anyway and never have.  They are cosemetic only and serve no pupose other than to look good - which to me they don't. I always have my guitars with bound necks re-freted over the binding.  This way the fret runs all the way to the edge of the fingerboard and you get just that much extra fretting surface area.  It improves playability imho.  I wouldn't want Michael to add fret nibs anyway as his fret ends are a work of art.  He rounds them over so they look like sausages.  I used to have close up photos of one of the fret jobs he did for me before, but I can't for the life of me find the photos now.  If you've ever seen the fret ends on a Don Grosh guitars you know what I mean.  Michael used to do fret work for Don Grosh.

I'm having him install 6100 fret wire.  He refretted my 1988 '59 Flame Top RI with SS6100 fret wire about a year and a half back and that thing plays sooooo smoooootttthhhh...  I LOVE the feel.  I would have gone with stainless steel again, but the cost has gone up so I decided to go with standard nickel/silver.

Yes it is expensive - but you get what you pay for.  I've had Michael re-fret two gutiars for me in the past:  A 1996 Custom Shop Les Paul Florentine and my 1988 '59 Flame Top RI.  Each guitar came back with flawless frets.  I've also had him do a fret level/crown/polish on three of my pleked guitars.  All of them came back playing better then when they left.  No more pleked up guitars for me!  Michael cut me a deal the first time after another well known LA area luthiers shop absolutely fu#@ed up the Les Paul Florentine.  His prices have since gone up a tad and he's no longer cutting me the deal.   :'(  I don't mind however, as I would rather pay to have the frets done right than to get a cheap fret job and not enjoy playing the guitar.

I know it will turn our excellent.  That's why I sent it to Michael.  I have absolute confidence that the guitar will come back playing perfect, absolute confidence.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...opic,674.0.html

Nice to have someone who knows how to do a great job. I also don't mind paying for a job done right.

I had my H140CM recently refretted with stainless steel frets by Jack Briggs. Outstanding job. New bone nut and perfectly done refret. He rounds off the fret edges and his crown is also rounded. These SS frets will out live me !!!

Wow, looking at that makes my fingers jumpy - they want to try it out. I see what you mean by "sausages". Your 535 must just be one heck of a nice playing guitar. It's good to know someone you can trust your best guitar to. It seems like '35 type guitars improve so noticeably from great fretwork, you know?  Like it's a real pleasure to play without an amp. Pleck, I think, is a clear cut above a lot of what's out there. But to me, that's on a level above Pleck. I too. am a fan of crowned and polished jumbo frets. Thanks for alerting me about Bestfrets.

Archived