Heritage Owners Club

Tube amps and playing in the cold

CJTopes

Hey, I got dragged into playing an outdoor gig this weekend. (free none the less) I figure it will be somewhere around 40 when we play I was wondering about playing a tube amp in cold weather. I've read that you should let them warm up to room temprature if they have been kept outside but I dont find anything on actually playing in cold temps. Is playing in this kind of weather bad for the amp?

I hate playing in the cold! ;)

CJ - It'll be worse on your fingers than on the amp. Expect your strings to feel like wound steel or nickel. Well, extremely STIFF would steel or nickel. ;)

Played a gig this past Spring that got down to freezing before we finished. The amp handled it all just fine. Let the amp warm up well before slipping it full on. Might even just let the amp stay on and use your vol on the guitar, rather than going back to stand-by. Just an opinion, not "amp fact" or whatever. It's what I did and the amp was/is fine. Enjoy the gig!! Pocket warmers come to mind. Along with layered clothing and a good hoodie. ;)

+1 to what tulk said. Remember to stick your fingers as clode to those nice warm tubes as possible before playing.

I learnt I can play in gloves with the finger tips cut off one real cold night playing outside.

The amp handled it fine. The strings felt like they were two or three gauges heavier.

Sorry about the crap pics but they show it is still possible to play with gloves on ;)

Some shredders wear gloves all the time. I guess it makes your hand glide more smoothly up the neck.

Doesnt do much for palm muted riffs riffs and rhythms to be honest. I also seem to remember a few minor bar chords not ringing out like I thought they would........and no, I didnt notice a sudden ability to shred.

It will be just fine. Just let it cool down before packing it up and moving it. One thing to always remember is to be sure never to "store" pedals, cords, mics and anything else that could slam into your tubes when transporting the amp. And one other thing......it will keep your ass warm if you sit on it while playing.

Sitting on the Amp may not be a bad idea. ;)

I played the same gig last year so I know about the cold fingers. Nothing happend to the amp that night but I did have to have it re-tubed shortly after.

I'll have the hand warmers and will be dressed appropriately. I never thought about the fingerless gloves, I may give that a shot. (and maybe have a shot)

I only have to play for about the first hour and then there's another band playing. Then I can sit back and laugh at the poor saps freezing their ass's off!

NOAA has Saturdays lows at 34 ;)

Archived