Heritage Owners Club

Replacement Speaker for a Deluxe Reverb

lb61906

Hey guys,

I just finished retubing my Deluxe Reverb. Now I am considering a replacement speaker. Right now it has the original ceramic speaker, but I would like something with a better bottom end. I would also like something with a better response to overdrive pedals. Any suggestions guys?

Thanks,

Julian

Hey Julian, I would contact the guys at Weber (www.tedweber.com) and let them know what kind of tone you're looking for and they'll recommend a speaker that's right for you. With the Deluxe Reverb my first choice would be one of the alnico models that are copies of the old Jensens.

With the Deluxe Reverb my first choice would be one of the alnico models that are copies of the old Jensens.

I'll second g-wave! I put a pair of doped Weber F-10 150's in my '76 Vibrolux. That's a pretty dark speaker. Took one of the Webers out and put a stock Fender back in. Better; a good pairing. AlNICo's are terrific!

After owning three original Deluxe Reverbs over the years; a '64, a '66 and the '65 I have now, I must have tried dozens of speaker configurations. There's nothing like a JBL D120F or K120. I have a reconed K120 in my amp. I like a good recone over an original cone. An old cone may have issues that show up after a few weeks of use and a JBL is quite expensive to recone. There was a D120F, with a Weber recone, for sale on The Gear Page recently for $175 shipped, which is a very fair price for one of these.

• 1 month later...
After owning three original Deluxe Reverbs over the years; a '64, a '66 and the '65 I have now, I must have tried dozens of speaker configurations. There's nothing like a JBL D120F or K120. I have a reconed K120 in my amp. I like a good recone over an original cone. An old cone may have issues that show up after a few weeks of use and a JBL is quite expensive to recone. There was a D120F, with a Weber recone, for sale on The Gear Page recently for $175 shipped, which is a very fair price for one of these.
That's what I have in mine( '65 Deluxe Rev. original).A orange label Fender D120 JBL.Absolutely beautiful.Bought it reconed in 1975 from E.U. Wurlitzer in Boston.Let's see that's 35 yrs..Time for another re-cone at Weber.I'll give you a tip.You can take it or leave it.Buy yourself a Mercury Magnetics power and output x'former(get the choke to while you're at it).UNbelievable!Sounds like the best Marshall,Vov ac30,Deluxe rev.etc.Better than any botique amp you can buy.The only thought you have to give is do I wanna put x'tra holes in chassis for Axiom output x'former.It's so huge the JBL spkr. has to be turned the right way or chassis won't go in.These are the absolute best x'formers money can buy.What a tone.Holy S---.TY M.

I've got '60 Fender Super also.Pretty rare.Beautiful vibrato(it actually changes pitch).Just wish it didn't pulse the spkrs. so much.

Weber seems to be the speaker maker of choice for many Deluxe Reverb users. Have any of you tried Celestion V30's in one?

A well broken in V30 sounds real good in a DR. The problem with the original DR's is the eight mounting bolts to the four mounting holes on the Celestion. I'm not sure of the reissue DR. A friend has a DR with one but four of the bolts were cut from the baffle.

If you want a great JBL-D120 clone Eminence makes one called the Commonwealth. I've been using the 15" version for about a year now, and it is far and away my favorite guitar speaker.

I'm a big fan of Eminence speakers. They offer a huge variety and are very reasonably priced especially considering they are still US made and all of the Celestian speakers are currently being made in China. (I'm not trying to start an international trade debate.)

My choice for that amp would be a vintage Jensen P12N. P12Q a close second. They bring that chewiness that I look for out of a Deluxe or my YGM-3.

But for what you want, a higher power speaker would be a better choice - I would concur with the JBL recommendations, or look for Altec 414 (might not fit - they're big) if you're feeling frisky. The best recommendation was probably the suggestion to call Weber or look at their website. They do a great job & offer a wide variety of speakers with good descriptions to help you choose.

Archived