Heritage Owners Club

calling 140 owners

mark555

In the not too distant future I want to buy a single cut solid body guitar. Ideally, I would like a 150CM but lack of spare cash is a factor here. I understand the 140 to be an alternative. I came to Heritage as an alternative to Gibson, having waited several years to find the right Heritage for me. having owned my 555 for five years now I am solidly in the Heritage camp.

How do you 140 owners find them? I have always loved the LP/150 guitar shape. Your input would be really appreciated. One of the problems I have in helping to make my mind up is the lack of Heritage guitars in the UK market place, be that in the retail or private sectors of the market place.

Thanks guys, I look forward to your thoughts.

gallery_1051_3_55827.jpg

I do love my 140CM... It is different from the LP type. Mine has a comfortable, but thicker neck... Lighter and thinner body.

And feels different due to the neck/body angle is flatter. I find it a cross between an old Lp special and an SG. Really comfortable weight and neck. The thicker neck has a great vintage feel.

Mine has had the Pick-ups changed to an old Dimarzio PAF and a Super Distortion and they really make it rock. It's an '89,,,,

I own my H-140 for years, it's my travelling guitar. Great instrument light weight and has a great sound. For me Les Paul and the 140 are almost the same (a Les Paul before 1984 from the Kalamazoo Gibson Factory). The only weak point was the pickup on mine. I changed them into HRW's and it's a perfect guitar now for me. So I would suggest to buy one from the 2nd generation because they've been made with HRW's. Since it's no longer in production you can buy it used anyway... I'll keep mine:)

the second generation H 140 has the 150 horn cut and i believe they are a lil thicker.

i love my H-140...with the schallers, it is a tone hound!

333331.jpg

That's a cracking looking gold top with the crown inlays. What is the going rate for a used H140 in the states? I have never seen one in the UK other than the one my friend owns and he won't be selling his. He lives quite a way from me though, so getting a close look at his is not easy.

I love my 140. Depending on what you are wanting to do with the Heritage in terms of music styles, the Schallers that are likely to be in them may or may not be to your liking.

For Jazz, Blues, rock and so on... I think you will dig them. For heavier styles of music like metal, they aren't quite that hot. That is my take on them.

Switching mine out for EMG's right now. 81 in the bridge and two 60's in the middle and neck.

Love the gold top, Brent!

That's a cracking looking gold top with the crown inlays. What is the going rate for a used H140 in the states? I have never seen one in the UK other than the one my friend owns and he won't be selling his. He lives quite a way from me though, so getting a close look at his is not easy.

thanks Mark!

they usually run around $7-900 usd...if you find one you like i could always assist geting it over the pond to you.

I too LOVE my 140..I probably paid a bit more than I should have, but I was totally smitten..Had to have it!! I paid $1100, but everytime I play it, it seems like a bargain..:D Mine is a first generation and I'm in the minority..I like the Schaller pickups..But anyway..Keep looking you will find one, and you'll love it!!

Just to point it out mine had Seymour '59 zebra pup's without the cover. They sounded a bit flat to me that's why I changed them into HRW's. And yes 2nd generation is bit different. Besides the Heritage Rendal Wall pups it has a neck binding and a belly cut on the back. Hope it helps...

thanks Mark!

they usually run around $7-900 usd...if you find one you like i could always assist geting it over the pond to you.

Thanks Brent, I may well take you up on the offer of help one of these days, as I keep saying, there are so few Heritage guitars over here in the uk. I have a feeling that as a few more players over here are realising just how good Heritage guitars are, the few guitars in the market place are getting snapped up when they become available, particularly the used ones. And of course, because the guys who buy them are thinking about what they buy, usually they are bought as keepers.

Archived