Heritage Owners Club

Are Rising Heritage Retail Prices Closing in on Gibson??

Gitfiddler

Over the last 5 years Heritage list and street prices (NEW and USED) from RETAILERS have steadily increased.  Granted, there are still bargains to be had from individual sellers on Ebay, Craisgslist, etc.  I've been a Heritage fan since the early 90's and can't believe the recent market increases. 

DEALERS seem to be asking and getting more and more for what was one of the best US made guitar bargains out there.

So I have to ask...Are rising Heritage retail prices closing in on Gibson?

Well the new prices have crept steadily up, but then so have the G words.  Heritage gutiars aren't the bargain they once were when compared to the G word, but they are still less expensice.  I don't see used prices going up at all.  This drop dead gorgeous 535 just went for $985.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=011

Somebody got a killer deal. 

Heritage could raise their prices 25% and they'd still be a bargain.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Don't tell that to Vince! Or Jay!  Wait until I get all the Heritages I want first!

Hey Guys,

There is a new Price list available that came out as of November 1, 2007.  You might want to request a copy and see the changes in the offering of fewer models and current retail prices.  Better than just speculating.  Really enjoying the posts....Vince  www.vincelewis.com

Heritage could raise their prices 25% and they'd still be a bargain.

From what I understand of the new prices you got your wish!

I was quoted a new 150 vs the '07 I got from Jay will be a real $500 increase street price.

Buy them while you still can. I'm not going to cry the sky is falling, but Heritage is playing right into Gibby's hands >:(

a real $500 increase street price.

$500? I wonder if that is just for the 2008 models? Jay has some nice 2006/2007 models I'd like to get, but if that increase applies to those models as well, then I may need to start looking for used ones instead.

$500? I wonder if that is just for the 2008 models? Jay has some nice 2006/2007 models I'd like to get, but if that increase applies to those models as well, then I may need to start looking for used ones instead.

No. Let me clarify. This increase is only for the 2008 models (the marked up guitars coming from Heritage, to be honest I don't know if he has received any of these price increased guitars from Heritage yet.). You can still get the lower price from him now but it won't be long until....

I was quoted a new 150 vs the '07 I got from Jay will be a real $500 increase street price.

Buy them while you still can. I'm not going to cry the sky is falling, but Heritage is playing right into Gibby's hands >:(

Woah... hold on there... I didn't wish for a price increase. Who would? I think we all knew we were getting exceptional deals

for hand-made American guitars. Lets face it... the reason these guitars have remained inexpensive is because the Heritage guys

are luthiers... not accountants. To a 68 year-old, $1500.00 is what $3,000.00 is to someone 20 years younger. Heck, my dad still complains

that a loaf of bread used to cost 25 cents (forty years ago). We all love the Heritage backstory, and I'm sure we all want the old guys to retire

comfortably... anyone on this forum still wanna be working at 68? Not me. These guys are not profiteers... I bet the old guys feel kinda guilty

about the price increase. I'm sure Vince felt it mandatory for the well-being of the company. Though I must agree that a $500.00 street

price increase is a little steep all at once. Desperate times = desperate measures .

$500 bones?!  Yikes, I may want to rethink selling my 535 and buy some more used stock!  :o

Buy used now.  There are still bargains to be had, but within a couple of years these guitars will be much more expensive.

At the rate the dollar is sinking, and the economy imploding, everything is going to be more expensive in a couple of years. :(

At the rate the dollar is sinking, and the economy imploding, everything is going to be more expensive in a couple of years. :(

Could be--we'll see.  But I mean that these guitars will rise in actual value (adjusted for whatever inflation may be ahead).

Could be--we'll see.  But I mean that these guitars will rise in actual value (adjusted for whatever inflation may be ahead).

Oh, I know, John.  I'm in a "glass half full" mood tonight.  I was just telling Brent the other day that I think the 85-95 Heritages are going to wind up being the equivalent of the "59burst."  Once enough people realize that, sure enough, the guys building the early Heritages were the guys who built those late 59s Gibsons, it should start taking off.

Oh, I know, John.  I'm in a "glass half full" mood tonight.  I was just telling Brent the other day that I think the 85-95 Heritages are going to wind up being the equivalent of the "59burst."  Once enough people realize that, sure enough, the guys building the early Heritages were the guys who built those late 59s Gibsons, it should start taking off.

My guess is that part of it will have to do with people becoming aware of the high quality of these guitars, but part of it will also have to do with the "handmade in America" status, which will become increasingly rare as production moves away from the US for almost all but guitars crafted by individual luthiers or custom shops.  Add the Kalamazoo/Gibson-legacy element to all this, and I think it strongly suggests that these guitars are a good investment.

Five years from now used Heritages will be priced comparably to used Gibsons of the same vintage, provided they have the right hardware.  If that's not true in five years, it almost certainly will be in ten.

But that's just how things look in my crystal ball.  Of course, this could all simply be a rationalization for buying more Heritages!

Holy smokes, that thing closed at nearly $2k!  Dayum.

And look what I just received from eBay shortly after listing ended:

"The listing in which you were a bidding participant:

180214108005 - Beautiful Handmade Vintage Heritage(Gibson) H157 Guitar

has been ended by eBay. Since the listing was ended by eBay, for the transaction itself is null and void."

For those who just joined us, the listing looked weird, with several poor-quality reversed pictures (check other thread here; seller's line was "My wife took the pictures with the computer, it is not left-handed").  At least one bidders with 0 feedback seemed to be in a bidding war with himself. Someone bid $1,800; top bidder won at $1,900-something.

Archived