Heritage Owners Club

Good low priced blues amp?

pegleg32

I'm looking at blues amps in the $500 to $800 price range. It's going to be primarily an amp for the basement and recording. Considering Peavey Delta Blues and Rivera Pubster 25 1x10. I currently have a heavily modified Fender Blues, Jr. and I'm looking for a different sound. Would appreciate any insight on these or other recommendations. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Delta Blues is 30watts. It'll be a loud one. Used one on stage for 2 years. Liked it quite a bit for price break. There was a guy on the Weber forum selling his Super Tweed in your price range. (I'm a bit biased towards that amp.) But couldn't hurt to look. Or, maybe a used DRRI? That could be keen!

I have a Pubster 25-10, and I think it is a very warm sounding amp --like a Princeton or DR driven, but at much lower volume. I've been using mine with the improv. lab that I work with, along with a P-90 equipped es-135, and I like the sound a lot. (the kids use modeling amps with super gain settings --I counter that with warmth, in the hope that maybe they'll eventually acquire a little taste.) I think the Pubster would be great for low volume, at home, playing, but if you need much absolutely clean headroom, you are not going to get it from the Pubster. I also recently picked up a Clubster 25-12, and, though I haven't had as much time to play it, it has much more headroom, and a bigger sound through the 12, though at the expense of the great portability of the Pubster 10.

I'm sure the boutique Princeton and DR type amps are very great amps, but these little Rivera's are very cool sounding, have master volumes, and switchable sounds, (the Clubster has clean and gain channels, the Pubster has a switchable boost) and I found both of mine used in the 600-650 range. Hard to beat, especially if you have to tote them around.

One other note. When I got my Pubster (used), it had a defective component that had to be replaced by Rivera. I don't know how many had a similar problem, but I would either get a positive assurance that it doesn't have a problem, or play it until it is well warmed up, to make certain it is OK.

Well you fellow have started me a research binge now.

I still like the idea of the Delta Blues, but I do worry that it may be too loud for my situation. Maybe an attenuator? Never used one so don't know if they really work.

The Ampeg J20 is indeed a nice amp and I think I might like 6v6 tubes as the reading I've done seems to suggest they have a warmer tone than the EL84 tubes. I wonder how much of the warmth is really in the circuit though.

I read some reviews of the Pubster that seemed to say they had problems with the volume levels when using the foot switch, don't know what to make of that. Most reviewers really like the tone.

Have seen some recommendations of the Fender DRRI and going to read up on that, never heard of this one before, I guess that shows the true extent of my lack of amp knowledge.

Appreciate more suggestions and comments if you have them.

Thanks,

Don

I guess what I'm really looking for is replacement for my long gone 1962 Silvertone dual 12 amp. The speakers were well broken in from playing bass through it, and the 6xx tubes twinkled like Xmas tree lights, but it had the warmest mellowest sound I ever had. At least that is the way I remember it. Anyway, that is what I'm looking for. Don't want screaming highs, I want purring to growling lows and mids.

Came across this Youtube comparison of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Crate V18, and the Black Heart Handsome Devil which I was investigating. All around or under my price range. Turns out the Crate V18 is closer to the sound I am looking for. Don't know how that would compare to the Peavey Delta Blues.

Amplifiers and their sounds are hard to recommend since, like guitars, each musician has his own sound in his mind that he is looking for. I own a Peavey Delta Blues with the 15" speaker and 7 tubes. It's a great amp, but man is it loud! In a basement setting, I'm lucky enough to get the volume up to 3. Have you ever thought about Carvin? Being a mail order outfit, you would not be able to audition their amps, but they have good pricing on all-tube Vintage Series from 16 watts to 50 watts, one 12 to two 12s. I own the 5-tube Vintage 16 which can be switched between 5 or 16 watts with a 12" speaker. There are a lot of choices out there. Have fun in your tone search!

The Carvins are very interesting, also the Tech 21!!! All reasonably priced and good amps it looks to me. What I'm thinking is Muddy Waters, Lighting Hopkins, delta blues stuff. Crappy guitar and crappy amp (maybe that's the real answer - LOL) but brought into the 60's time period. A growling bottom and a tinny slide on the top strings.

I want to thank everyone who has given suggestions, I have researched each and every one, and I very much appreciate your ideas.

The Traynor YCV20WR looks like a great value at $700 at Muscians Friend. 15 Watt, 12" Celestion Greenback and great Fender bright sounds, but that is not quite what I'm looking for. The Marshall is a really nice amp, but maybe a little much for me. I can't seem to get my arms around Marshalls, they are kind of like Fender, they have something for everyone.

If your going for Muddy Waters, Lightn' Hopkins, Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy, etc then I would get a 6V6 powered amp with a 5Y3 rectifier and a pair of 6SL7 preamp tubes. Old Ampeg Jet, Mercury and Rocket amps are a great value in the vintage market.

I have listend to somewhere over 100 amps on Youtube and the Delta Blues still seems to come closest to what I'm looking for. It may well be because of the 15" speaker, these old ears hear mids and lows better while highs not so much. I really thank everyone for their suggestions and ideas and input. It is much appreciated. There are always folks willing to help an old codger on the HOC and I thank you. Now I have to shop for the best place to buy!!!!

I have listend to somewhere over 100 amps on Youtube and the Delta Blues still seems to come closest to what I'm looking for. It may well be because of the 15" speaker, these old ears hear mids and lows better while highs not so much. I really thank everyone for their suggestions and ideas and input. It is much appreciated. There are always folks willing to help an old codger on the HOC and I thank you. Now I have to shop for the best place to buy!!!!

hope the youtubeage works out for you. it will be different live...probably even better! :thumbsup:

hope the youtubeage works out for you. it will be different live...probably even better! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff, best I can do up here in the moutains of NW Montana. Have to rely on friends and the internet for input, and then mail order anything you want to try. I guess thats why I do a lot of buying and selling on Ebay.

Thanks Jeff, best I can do up here in the moutains of NW Montana. Have to rely on friends and the internet for input, and then mail order anything you want to try. I guess thats why I do a lot of buying and selling on Ebay.

yeahman, i was just checking what's available in Spokane & Coeur d'Alene & elsewhere...online is definitely yer friend. enjoy!

I've never played a Delta Blues 15, but I'm a big fan of 15" speakers. But I'd sure think that amp might be too loud for recording and basement playing - at least it would for me.

I'd think that a tweed deluxe 5E3 clone would be worth looking at, and you should be able to find a used one in that price range.

I'd also look at old small/low power combo amps (1x8) from the 50s. Gibsons, danelectros, silvertones etc. They're cheap, you can turn them up, some of them sound fantastic and they're good for recording.

Dare I say it... an Epiphone valve junior head & cab- cheap, and sound cool

I've never played a Delta Blues 15, but I'm a big fan of 15" speakers. But I'd sure think that amp might be too loud for recording and basement playing - at least it would for me.

I'd think that a tweed deluxe 5E3 clone would be worth looking at, and you should be able to find a used one in that price range.

I'd also look at old small/low power combo amps (1x8) from the 50s. Gibsons, danelectros, silvertones etc. They're cheap, you can turn them up, some of them sound fantastic and they're good for recording.

Dare I say it... an Epiphone valve junior head & cab- cheap, and sound cool

Ah yes, that Epi valve junior spoke to me also, listened to several different takes on the tube. I have a really large basement but I may have to put in some sound dampening. Not a bad idea anyway. And probably any number of old, well broken in amps, such as suggested here and by Slider would do the trick, but I think that would put me in the Ebay business big time in order to find the right one. Thanks for the input.

Archived