Heritage Owners Club

Good low priced blues amp?

pegleg32

I recently sold a Delta Blues on ebay. I like the clean sound and disliked the drive. I tried running it through a Weber 15" Texas in a seperate cab I have. It really opened it up a lot and made the highs sound a lot cleaner and the mids got a lot better. The peavey speaker isnt much and is something you might want to upgrade if you get it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

For blues, I would consider a Li'l Dawg D-Lux (5E3 circuit). They can be built at either 12 or 25 watts depending on your needs. I believe Jim sells combos with Mather cabinets and JJ tubes for $799 (without a speaker). So you are likely closer to ~$900-$1,000 with a speaker. This is one of the most organic, touch sensitive amps that you can find. These amps blow away many amps costing 2 to 4x. A perfect amp for expressing the blues in my view. This may be too much money, but perhaps you can find one of Jim's or Sarah Richter's 5E3s for less used.

My $.02

Bob

I'm really happy with my Carvin Nomad. You get 2 channels, reverb and 50 Watts in a small tweed package. Also: Pull out 2 of the EL84s and you have a 25-watter. For extra Mojo, go for the relatively inexensive Hasserl Mods and you have a boutique-quality amp for less than 500 clams. You can get used Nomads (1 12") and Belairs (same amp - 2 -12s) all day on eBay at great prices. Some are already pre-modded to Hasserl specs.

PS: Hello Heritage board....just signed up so I can lurk. Planning to buy my first Heritage soon.

I'm really happy with my Carvin Nomad. You get 2 channels, reverb and 50 Watts in a small tweed package. Also: Pull out 2 of the EL84s and you have a 25-watter. For extra Mojo, go for the relatively inexensive Hasserl Mods and you have a boutique-quality amp for less than 500 clams. You can get used Nomads (1 12") and Belairs (same amp - 2 -12s) all day on eBay at great prices. Some are already pre-modded to Hasserl specs.

PS: Hello Heritage board....just signed up so I can lurk. Planning to buy my first Heritage soon.

I've seriously considered the Nomad in the past. The one thing that always stops me is the reviews I've read about the dirty channel.

which (somehow) reminds me - has anyone tried one of the s2amps BJr mods? before i got my lil Ampeg or the Juke 112 this looked like a great way to get good tone inexpensively. was well-received on TGP...

That is an interesting idea, my Tweed Reissue BJ has the BillM mods including presence control, upgraded tubes, and an Eminance Cannibis Rex speaker and I have been very happy with it. Would be neat to hear the two side by side and hear the difference.

That is an interesting idea, my Tweed Reissue BJ has the BillM mods including presence control, upgraded tubes, and an Eminance Cannibis Rex speaker and I have been very happy with it. Would be neat to hear the two side by side and hear the difference.

There's a BJ with the BillM mods on TGP right now. I've looked at that thing at least twice a day for the last three days. It's calling me.

It's a very capable amp at low power. The mods give it a wider range and better control over your tone. I happened to have a stock BJ on hand when I bought this one, and the differences were subtle but you could hear them. I added the upgraded tubes and speaker later. If it has presence control, that really adds a lot, letting the amp go from bright to dark.

LOL, I stumbled across my old sears amp on Youtube. Here is the clip:

That looks like a slightly "newer" version of an old silvertone I came accross at a local shop in my area. Sounded great but cabinet was hanging on by a thread, so I built a new box for it. (I wish I knew the year, there were no legible markings left on the amp and it wasn't until later when someone saw the "before" pic that I knew it was a silvertone)

The two things I enjoy most in this world are playing guitar and working with wood - this was a great chance to merge the best of both worlds!

Before and after pics below

post-1459-1258985070_thumb.jpg

post-1459-1258985084_thumb.jpg

Have seen some recommendations of the Fender DRRI and going to read up on that, never heard of this one before, I guess that shows the true extent of my lack of amp knowledge.

Hi Don,

I have a DRRI and am very happy with it. It sounded good when I got it (2001) but a recent change in power tubes really made a big difference. It's much creamier now. It nails most of the classic tones and takes pedals well. Lots of demo clips out on the web. They can be had used for a good price too. It's worth a drive to try one out.

- Rob

I wish I had an amp with tremolo. The old Heathkit amp I have had it on there but the damn thing is so noisy and bad sounding I can never bear to use it.

What are some good add-ons (stomp boxes etc.) that would give me a good, quiet trem sound for my Peavey Classic 30?

I wish I had an amp with tremolo. The old Heathkit amp I have had it on there but the damn thing is so noisy and bad sounding I can never bear to use it.

What are some good add-ons (stomp boxes etc.) that would give me a good, quiet trem sound for my Peavey Classic 30?

The last time I went shopping for a good sounding tremolo stomp box, I left the store with a Peavey Delta Blues AMP! No pedal trem sounded as good...and the store had a stupid closeout deal on the amp. :)

Try a Boss Deluxe Reverb stomp box. It's got a decent sounding reverb, but a much better tremolo effect.

There are much better trem boxes out there, but the DR had a lot of bang for buck cache.

Hey Rob, the problem for me is that it is a minimum 4 hour drive one way to try out any amp other than a new cheap Fender. I either have to go go Missoula, MT or Spokane, WA or Calgary, AB - all about 8 hours round trip.

Hey kbp, thats a neat old Silvertone, I have no idea what the model might be.

I came across this on Ebay, does anyone know anything about the Heritage Lobo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heritage-Lobo-combo-11...=item4cec2cf55e

Care to summarize them? Is it bad? Horrible? Meh?

The reviews I've read said that the dirty channel is dark, mushy, "sounds live a hive of bees" to saturated, very bassy and lacking the edge and attack. I think that the Hassler mods are supposed to take care of that.

I've head nothing but good things about the clean channel.

I've decided to sell my Ampeg and get a nomad. I need a higher powered alternative/back-up to my Rivera Chubster. The nomad seems to fit the bill.

I came across this on Ebay, does anyone know anything about the Heritage Lobo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heritage-Lobo-combo-11...=item4cec2cf55e

yeahman, it's a 20w 2x6V6 all-tube (hand-wired, PTP, IIRC) commissioned by Jay Wolfe. also IIRC there was a Holland version of it before, but the Heritage is a PaulC-designed circuit. looks like a great grab&go amp

not to wander too far afiend here, but i've kept my Menatone PleasureTrem 5000. also, have heard and liked the E-H Pulsar

I have a Pubster 25-10, and I think it is a very warm sounding amp --like a Princeton or DR driven, but at much lower volume. I've been using mine with the improv. lab that I work with, along with a P-90 equipped es-135, and I like the sound a lot. (the kids use modeling amps with super gain settings --I counter that with warmth, in the hope that maybe they'll eventually acquire a little taste.) I think the Pubster would be great for low volume, at home, playing, but if you need much absolutely clean headroom, you are not going to get it from the Pubster. I also recently picked up a Clubster 25-12, and, though I haven't had as much time to play it, it has much more headroom, and a bigger sound through the 12, though at the expense of the great portability of the Pubster 10.

I'm sure the boutique Princeton and DR type amps are very great amps, but these little Rivera's are very cool sounding, have master volumes, and switchable sounds, (the Clubster has clean and gain channels, the Pubster has a switchable boost) and I found both of mine used in the 600-650 range. Hard to beat, especially if you have to tote them around.

One other note. When I got my Pubster (used), it had a defective component that had to be replaced by Rivera. I don't know how many had a similar problem, but I would either get a positive assurance that it doesn't have a problem, or play it until it is well warmed up, to make certain it is OK.

+1 for Rivera. I've had a Clubster (two channel version of Pubster) for 4 years, and if you're looking for a Fender sound, it has it. I know Fender is reissuing some of the old amps that are suppose to use original spec parts, but they're well into 4 figures. If that's the sound you're looking for, try the Rivera or Valvetrain amps. I think the quality is better for the price.

+1 for Rivera. I've had a Clubster (two channel version of Pubster) for 4 years, and if you're looking for a Fender sound, it has it. I know Fender is reissuing some of the old amps that are suppose to use original spec parts, but they're well into 4 figures. If that's the sound you're looking for, try the Rivera or Valvetrain amps. I think the quality is better for the price.

No disrespect here, but I don't think that's the sound he's going for. When someone say's an amp has "that Fender sound" they usually mean the blackface mid 60's sound. Fender amps; the original ones, had four different "sounds". The woody's, the tweeds, the browns and the blackface's. Late 40's to late 50's blues recordings, if done on a Fender, would have been done on a woody or tweed amp. The circuits were very simple and many of these amps had just a volume and tone control. Some of the circuits are being reproduced by builders like Clark, Victoria, Richter, Little Dawg, Kendrick and Fender themselves.

Yep, I think Slider has me pegged (no pun intended - lol). I have good news and bad news - I got to play a Peavey Classic 30 today, same amp as Delta Blues but 12" speaker, the bad news is - that is not "the" sound.

My interest and research now turn to Slider's, Jeff's, and others recommendations of 5E3 circuit and 6v6 tubes. Think woody, not bright - something different than my Blues jr. A more basic, home spun, touch the heart sound. You don't hear it so much as you are just aware of it.

Yep, I think Slider has me pegged (no pun intended - lol). I have good news and bad news - I got to play a Peavey Classic 30 today, same amp as Delta Blues but 12" speaker, the bad news is - that is not "the" sound.

My interest and research now turn to Slider's, Jeff's, and others recommendations of 5E3 circuit and 6v6 tubes. Think woody, not bright - something different than my Blues jr. A more basic, home spun, touch the heart sound. You don't hear it so much as you are just aware of it.

too bad it didn't work out. IMHO: "woody" will be almost synonymous w/"tweed". BF Fenders are notchy in the upper mids and that can detract from that aspect of sound. i've played early '60's Ampegs that sounded like maybe what you want (loved my '61 Reverberocket, but traded it for a Juke - but that's way out the spec'd price range). the Lobo 20 might do it. the small Riveras might, too. speaker & preamp tube choices will be critical. 6V6's are the P90's of the amp tube world, people are just in the past couple-few years getting to appreciate 'em again & do good things w/'em...

as they say in the hunt, "yoicks!"...

Just curious - why not buy a Silvertone (or similar) of the vintage you had? Sounds like you maybe had a 1484 model? I had a 1472 (or was it 82?) that was a wonderful one-trick pony, a nice overdriven sound. Might need a bit of work, or can look for one that's been gone thru for a refresh and is in good playing condition. The cabs sometimes are in rough shape on these since they were pressed and moisture isn't kind to them.

If you consider going the vintage route, I like 50s Gibsons amps (GA5, 6, 8, 20, 40, etc) which all have similar 'tweed' sound. The single digit ones achieve this at low volume which is really good for recording and home volume. I've a Gibsonette (aka GA8 I think), which is an 8W thru 10" and a GA6 which is ~12W thru a 12". Like both... the GA6 is closer to what I recall the Silvertone sounding like, although fuller/fatter (my STone had the really small cab, no bigger than a 10" spkr). I bought my GA6 on ebay for ~300. Friend of mine has a GA5, which is an 8" spkr and also really nice.

Below's a track (Wait For Me) I did for a friend of mine w/a 150 straight thru the GA6, no pedals/effects - all guitar/amp. Solo starts at 3:30.

http://www.myspace.com/laandthetimekeepers

Just curious - why not buy a Silvertone (or similar) of the vintage you had? Sounds like you maybe had a 1484 model? I had a 1472 (or was it 82?) that was a wonderful one-trick pony, a nice overdriven sound. Might need a bit of work, or can look for one that's been gone thru for a refresh and is in good playing condition. The cabs sometimes are in rough shape on these since they were pressed and moisture isn't kind to them.

If you consider going the vintage route, I like 50s Gibsons amps (GA5, 6, 8, 20, 40, etc) which all have similar 'tweed' sound. The single digit ones achieve this at low volume which is really good for recording and home volume. I've a Gibsonette (aka GA8 I think), which is an 8W thru 10" and a GA6 which is ~12W thru a 12". Like both... the GA6 is closer to what I recall the Silvertone sounding like, although fuller/fatter (my STone had the really small cab, no bigger than a 10" spkr). I bought my GA6 on ebay for ~300. Friend of mine has a GA5, which is an 8" spkr and also really nice.

Below's a track (Wait For Me) I did for a friend of mine w/a 150 straight thru the GA6, no pedals/effects - all guitar/amp. Solo starts at 3:30.

http://www.myspace.com/laandthetimekeepers

Very nice lead on that fxd, very tasty. I haven't seen any Silvertone 1474's for sale and I worry about buying some else's problems. Having said that, I have been looking at Gibsons in the Ebay vintage amp section and they are cheap, as are Silvertones. Slider has an Ampeg Rocket R12 for sale that is spotless and gone through that catces my eye. Currently I am pricing what I think I want at several boutique builders to get an idea as to cost. That may well bring my back to the used market.

Archived