Heritage Owners Club

Schaller Tailpiece

pcovers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Just received my '96 535 and it has the Schaller roller bridge and tailpiece--pic below. My '99 535 has the standard Nashville bridge and tailpiece. I think I want to put the Schaller Nashville bridge/tailpiece (labeled "GTM" on the Schaller site) on my '96 but I want to double check that it's a direct replacement--I could just use the existing sleeve/bolts that are currently in the guitar and attach the new bridge and tailpiece, right?

BTW, I wanted to like the roller bridge but I put .011 flats on it and the low E doesn't sit well in the roller slot--seems like it wasn't designed to handle that type of string.

Joe

post-1315-1263068407_thumb.jpg

Just received my '96 535 and it has the Schaller roller bridge and tailpiece--pic below. My '99 535 has the standard Nashville bridge and tailpiece. I think I want to put the Schaller Nashville bridge/tailpiece (labeled "GTM" on the Schaller site) on my '96 but I want to double check that it's a direct replacement--I could just use the existing sleeve/bolts that are currently in the guitar and attach the new bridge and tailpiece, right?

BTW, I wanted to like the roller bridge but I put .011 flats on it and the low E doesn't sit well in the roller slot--seems like it wasn't designed to handle that type of string.

Joe

post-1315-1263068407_thumb.jpg

I ordered a comptom stainless steel for my gretsch and am ordering an aluminum one when he gets them in stock.These are beautiful bridges which intonate well with no moving parts.A work of "art".Check 'em out on his website.If I can use it on my Heritage I will let you know.The difference in tone of brass or heavy metal bridge versus aluminum is incredible.Brass gives mostly the note fundamental with few overtones.Aluminum gives a lot of overtones and less fundamental.It's all a matter of taste but the beauty of it is, this can be changed with different bridges and tailpieces.

The compton bridge looks interesting and I'd be interested in your report on installing it on a Heritage.

I got empirical regarding the issue of swapping bridges and it doesn't work. The posts on the TOM bridge are slightly larger than those for the locking bridge tailpiece. So now I'm curious if Schaller makes a TOM setup that's a direct replacement for the roller-bridge setup.

Joe

I ordered a comptom stainless steel for my gretsch and am ordering an aluminum one when he gets them in stock.These are beautiful bridges which intonate well with no moving parts.A work of "art".Check 'em out on his website.If I can use it on my Heritage I will let you know.The difference in tone of brass or heavy metal bridge versus aluminum is incredible.Brass gives mostly the note fundamental with few overtones.Aluminum gives a lot of overtones and less fundamental.It's all a matter of taste but the beauty of it is, this can be changed with different bridges and tailpieces.

I recently bought a 96 535 in sunset burst with the Schaller hardware and had it replaced with these ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

before and after shots

before ...

535-01.jpg

after ...

535-04.jpg

The pickups were also changed from Schallers to Duncan P-Rails with the triple shot switching system.

=============================

I recently bought a 96 535 in sunset burst with the Schaller hardware and had it replaced with these ...

The pickups were also changed from Schallers to Duncan P-Rails with the triple shot switching system.

=============================

I notice that the flame on your guitar had more color with the schallers.. brighter, more yellow... :huh:

(just kidding)

It's a beauty, and some nice upgrades there... P-Rails !

But what is involved in the replacement of the bridge and (especially) the tailpiece.

I notice that the flame on your guitar had more color with the schallers.. brighter, more yellow... :huh:

(just kidding)

It's a beauty, and some nice upgrades there... P-Rails !

But what is involved in the replacement of the bridge and (especially) the tailpiece.

Thanks !

Answer = I have no clue !

All wiring and hardware work was done by Pete Moreno, courtesy of Brent. I can wire a plug, after that I leave it to the guys that know what they're doing !

That's exactly what I plan to do to mine, at least in terms of bridge/tailpieces. I like the Schaller pups just fine. Turns out there are two sizes for the post bolts for TOM tailpieces, M8 x 1.25 and 5/16-24. I think the metric one is a tad smaller, and that seems what's on my sunburst 535 with the roller bridge, and the larger one is on the red 535. So, after all this, it's off to my tech guy so that he can deal with it...

Joe

My opinion is schaller hardware is VERY well made.

But a tone/sustain robber.

Some people are kind of loony and even like them, (ie AKA Crazy Brent!!!) :unsure_mini:

Kuz, you're absolutely right. I replaced all my Schaller tailpieces and bridges and it really was an upgrade. Not just cosmetic wise, more than that I optimized the tone.

Kuz, you're absolutely right. I replaced all my Schaller tailpieces and bridges and it really was an upgrade. Not just cosmetic wise, more than that I optimized the tone.
Schaller parts are beautiful though and made in Germany.Hard to beat their workmanship.I have a set of Schaller M6 mini tuners from the mid 70's on my 335.They are stamped "made in west germany" and the workmanship is scary.Functional art.I think they still make the best tuners.I use them when I can as,they are very expensive in certain styles.They sound the best also.That's what Jimmy D'. and Benedetto used.I've got Schaller stop tp w/fine tuners if anyone wants it and other schaller tailpiece parts also.The best "Ty"

Schaller stuff is well made, but the roller bridge isn't what I'm looking for in terms of tone and feel. I just dropped my sunburst 535 off at my guitar tech, and we found exact replacement TOM parts that fit the existing screw holes for the posts in both the bridge and tailpiece. We tried a bunch of different makes, but it was the one from Allparts that fit -- it wasn't metric, but was smaller than the standard posts that come with most TOM assemblies.

So come next week I will have it back with a TOM bridge/tailpiece, a fret dressing, and set up. Can't wait -- it played just fine when I got it, but it's going to be a monster when I get back.

Joe

Schaller parts are beautiful though and made in Germany.Hard to beat their workmanship.I have a set of Schaller M6 mini tuners from the mid 70's on my 335.They are stamped "made in west germany" and the workmanship is scary.Functional art.I think they still make the best tuners.I use them when I can as,they are very expensive in certain styles.They sound the best also.That's what Jimmy D'. and Benedetto used.I've got Schaller stop tp w/fine tuners if anyone wants it and other schaller tailpiece parts also.The best "Ty"

Hi Tyguy,

please tell me more about German craftmanship ?? :lol: (just kidding)

Cheers

Wolfi

Thanks !

Answer = I have no clue !

All wiring and hardware work was done by Pete Moreno, courtesy of Brent. I can wire a plug, after that I leave it to the guys that know what they're doing !

Very nice new guitar you purchased, Southpawguy. Congrats.

I'm keen to get a tr cherry 535 with SD Antiquies with a real fat neck. I played it, I love it ;)

For my existing H 535 I plan to change fron Seth Lovers to Amber Pickups

Cheers and all the best

Wolfi

Why do so many replace the Schaller tail piece? What is the inherent design or functional flaw in them?

Hi, I guess I'm one of the nutballs who is perfectly happy with ALL the stock Schaller hardware, including the tailpiece. My hearing is not sufficiently good to hear any difference from "Gibson-style" stop tailpieces. Furthermore (and others may have mentioned it), I quite like the ease with which one can remove the ballend from the Schaller tailpiece without having to "unthread" it from its hole in the "Gibson-style" item. I respect the fact that others feel differently but this is my take on the situation. Cheers.

Hi, I guess I'm one of the nutballs who is perfectly happy with ALL the stock Schaller hardware, including the tailpiece. My hearing is not sufficiently good to hear any difference from "Gibson-style" stop tailpieces. Furthermore (and others may have mentioned it), I quite like the ease with which one can remove the ballend from the Schaller tailpiece without having to "unthread" it from its hole in the "Gibson-style" item. I respect the fact that others feel differently but this is my take on the situation. Cheers.

It's my take too..I really like the Schaller PU'ps and I've grown to like the Schaller Hardware..I just have to remember to line the strings up with the pickup screws if the saddles move during string changes..It just takes a few seconds and I'm good to go..MHO

My 535 is back from the shop. The guys at Rainbow Guitars here in Tucson put on a TOM bridge/tailpiece, dressed the frets, and did a setup. Wow--it plays effortlessly! Great guitar. Pics below.

And the cleaned the guitar--I didn't know you could do that...

Joe

post-1315-1264101143_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1264101157_thumb.jpg

before and after shots

before ...

Was it Hard to change, or will it fit with no problems?

The looks are much better...

Also I've sometimes problems with the high 'E' that the string wil turn loose from the ballend, and the string is lost...

I hope with a 'TOM' bridge, string and ballend is more ''fixed''.

K.R. Guus (Netherlands)

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I see a lot of folks replacing the Schallers with locking Grovers, and I am thinking of doing the same but it looks like a completely different screw placement? Does anyone have the exact Grover PN that fits into an H-535 without drilling the post? I assume the srew hole is different and is what it is...Any help would be appreciated...I have looked at the locking Schallers as well but I dont like the top loader post, its too high...and the ones with the nut on the bottom have a different screw hole placement as well and I guess I would prefer the Grovers if I have to move the screw anyway...Thanks!

post-6176-0-06400500-1329011034_thumb.jpg

Schaller is well made functional hardware. With that being said after 14 years, I did replace the bridge and tailpiece on my '95 H555. First I was not happy with the non locking tailpice so I replaced it with a Tone Pro locking one. I also replaced the bridge with a Callham. With these changes, I first noted that the guitar came alive acoustically which translated into improved tone when amplified. Lastly I decide to swap out the Schaller pick ups for Fralin Pure PAFs. Now this was an incredible improvement making the tone so much cleaner and articulate. This is really a very versatile guitar now which can be dialed in from jazz to country. Most notable, the neck pups is extremely clean.

I can't hear the difference between the schaller and the tone pros (120.00) but I bet I could hear the difference between my set up with and w/o a nice wampler pedal (140.00). Sometimes I feel like we become the worst of the cork sniffing snobs when we start knit picking every little part and then feel the need to make sure we have "the best" or our"tone" will suffer.

I have both schaller and tom styles on my guitars and I could not hear the difference with Helen Kellers ears. That being said the roller bridges save a lot of broken strings on my bigsby equipped guitars.

PLEASE STOP THE CORK SNIFFING AND JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!

p.s. i'm sure we can all agree that a VSB finished guitar sounds worlds better than a OSB finished guitar.

Have a chat with the guys at Marquis Distribution in CA for Tone Pros kit. They know the fitments for all the Heritage models. No drilling or stud pulling required - just take the old bridge/tailpiece off and put the Tone Pros stuff on. I've done I three times with no problems at all.

526634f2.jpg

I agree with big bob that a Bixby equiped guitar should have a roller bridge. In fact, I've had guitars with Bixbys and no roller bridge which I swapped over to a roller bridge. However, I have no idea why Heritage put roller bridges on guitars without bixby set ups and did not use locking tailpieces. Lastly, if you are going to replace thes mismatched parts, why use crap on a quality guitar.

For what it's worth the original hardware on my '90 Les Paul Std is Schaller, still bright as a pin today. I have no problem with Schaller hardware, they make very good gear. I just don't like the particular style of hardware, the roller bridge and tailpiece, that was used on earlier Heritage guitars so I've had it replaced on every one that came equipped with them.

Archived