Heritage Owners Club

A quest for tone. (A caveman movie?)

High Flying Bird

This time last year I had been back playing for about 3 months.  I was using my old 535, "Ladybird", through a Fender Champ 12 and a Vox wah.  My buddy was playing through a Bassman and a PUD pedal.  I was being blasted out.  About this time I got the gold 535 I also got a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.  In early summer, since I could hear myself, I dumped the Wah and went on a search for pure tone playing the gold 535 and my bud's 550.  I was looking to become more of a finesses player and I still am.  I have learned a lot about fretboardsmanship and mixing the pickups. 

On Christmas eve I played Ladybird and noticed that the pickups were way weaker than the pups on the gold 535.  I got to thinking about a possible substitute for the stock Schallers.  Last night I played Ladybird again and turned up the amp a little to compensate for the pickups.  Man, what a sweet throaty tone on the knife edge of feedback those pups put out.  I had that guitar blowing air out of the f-holes.  By letting the amp work harder I was able to get such a wonderful "woodwind" type sound out of that guitar. 

Like a fool, I was thinking about selling this guitar.  Gents, it is no longer on the market.  Joe's neighbors will get to enjoy that sweet sound for many years to come.    ;)

According to the Guitar Amp Handbook by Dave Hunter the older guitars of the fifties had 'weak' pickups and he also states that most amps are loud enough to compensate for it.

I also find this good news about Schaller. I have Schallers on my beloved 162 and find them superb. In other threads we discussed this already, but I'd like to emphasize again that all the old Heritages have all been carrying Schallers and I don't believe the old folks were so stupid as to use inferior pickups and other hardware.

I've "threatened" this before, and as I struggle to come to terms with net technology, I'll promise again.  I have a version of "Stand By Me" I've done and will post.  It has one of the best (all things being relative) solos on it I've ever done!  150 with Schallers straight into my Top Hat.  No FX, no 'verb, no nothin'.  It's my argument in support of the Schaller p'up the boys have chosen as the default p'up in the Heritages.  I really like 'em!

i have never really own a true "vintage" guitar, but i could see the older guitars not really having that punch, like the newer ones do.  and i play more hard rock, so i tend to like the higher output pickups...more crunch/gain for those pinch harmonics.... ;D

Uh huh.  :rolleyes:

Oh Ye of little faith!  Given how long the first photos of the 150 took, I should be able to do an mp3 by..............................................................................

...................yeah, 2012.

Archived