Heritage Owners Club

576 pics

yoslate

Gonna give posting pics another try!  Here (I hope) are some pics of my 1990 576.  Custom pickguard (tortoise shell, but you can't tell in the shots), Duncan Phat Cats (a good pickup for this box), Grover Imperial tuners, and my fave mod on this one: Chicken head Knobs!!!  This wonderful guitar does me right every time I play it out; maybe the best stick I've ever owned....

2269400397_a60a52931b_m.jpg

2270171806_afb14af568_m.jpg[img]

2266257158_73d4604700_m.jpg

2265461353_cd1177262d_m.jpg

Well...three for four.  Better'n last time.  Might have been able to fix it up, but dinner was under construction, and my wife's patience with me firing questions about this (she's pretty good on a computer) from the other room was just about tapped.  When she appeared in the doorway wielding the 9" chef's knife, :rolleyes: asking for help, I figured guitars could wait....    :-[            

Not the best picture of me.  But the guitar looks great--and that's what counts!

Nice one, John; interesting contrast to my blonde.  As your picture was downloading from top to bottom, slowly (on my dial-up), and I saw the dry-erase board and all the literature on the bookshelves, then you, strapped, I thought, "Oh boy, he's making some contorted, gymnastic Mel Bay-esque m7-diminished chord that requires five joints on each finger...."  G-Major....  What a relief!  Thanks....    ;)

Yep, that's my old office in the Hill Hall Annex at UNC--a building we not so lovingly called "Splinter Hall."

Not to wax nostalgic and stroll down memory lane, but I graduated from UNC in '74.  You'd made oblique references in other posts which led me to believe you had more than passing familiarity with Chapel Hill.  Quite a scene there from '70 to '80 or so, when I was finally able to extricate myself from the land of the lotus eaters....                   

2265461353_cd1177262d_m.jpg

width=320 height=480http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2265461353_cd1177262d_m.jpg[/img]

Trying to figure out how to post an "enlargeable" image.  I know, I know, the larger one here is pixilated.  That I got the thing up is a minor miracle.  One step at a time; I really am a computer oaf!!!  Any suggestions?..that would be a euphemism compassionate help....

Not to wax nostalgic and stroll down memory lane, but I graduated from UNC in '74.  You'd made oblique references in other posts which led me to believe you had more than passing familiarity with Chapel Hill.  Quite a scene there from '70 to '80 or so, when I was finally able to extricate myself from the land of the lotus eaters....                   

I taught music theory and history there from 1995-2005 before I moved to Univ of Rochester/Eastman.  I played all around the area with bands likeThe BackBeat, Poor Valentino, and Land of Chocolate.  If you check out the BackBeat video on my YouTube page, it was recorded at Rubber Soul in Winston.  If I recall, Sam Moss was there that night--he always stopped in when we were at Rubber Soul.  I'm using the 576 on that video, though you can't see it very well.

Back in those days, the only place you could find a Heritage in the triangle was at the Raleigh Music Loft (before Jay sold to Guitar Center).  I was the only guy I knew playing clubs that used one back then--G&L too.  I got lots of people asking me "what's that guitar?"

I taught music theory and history there from 1995-2005 before I moved to Univ of Rochester/Eastman.  I played all around the area with bands likeThe BackBeat...If you check out the BackBeat video on my YouTube page, it was recorded at Rubber Soul in Winston.  If I recall, Sam Moss was there that night--he always stopped in when we were at Rubber Soul.  I'm using the 576 on that video, though you can't see it very well.

Back in those days, the only place you could find a Heritage in the triangle was at the Raleigh Music Loft (before Jay sold to Guitar Center).  I was the only guy I knew playing clubs that used one back then--G&L too.  I got lots of people asking me "what's that guitar?"

I'm a bit stunned....  I suppose you've seen numerous of my postings which refer to Sam.  I've played Rubber Soul numerous times, with Sam.  In fact the last time I played with him was there, not a year ago.  I ran into Chris Chamis, who plays drums with The BackBeat, just a few months ago, after not seeing him for years.  He did some percussion on "The Sneakers" EP I recorded with Mitch Easter and Chris Stamey, and Will Rigby, who's been playing drums for Steve Earle for years, in Chapel Hill, in 1976. 

Rubber Soul closed about six months ago.  Some nut, days out of jail, came in and shot the place up because someone stepped on his new tennis shoes.  Very fortunately, no one was injured.  But the city fathers in Winston Salem have proposed an ordinance requiring live music venues to hire off-duty police, hire so many of them at a rate which will effectively smother live music in that town, the self-proclaimed "City of the Arts."  Local musicians are fighting it tooth and nail.  We'll see. 

Sorry for all the personal digression, but you hit some very resonant spots.  Thanks, John, for sharing that information!   

Archived